• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California church shooting: 1 dead, 5 injured in Orange County

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
California church shooting: 1 dead, 5 injured in Orange County (foxla.com)

LAGUNA WOODS, Calif. - One person was killed and at least four others were injured after a shooting at a church in Laguna Woods Sunday afternoon, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

The shooting happened shortly before 1:30 p.m. Sunday, at the Geneva Presbyterian Church, according to OCSD. One person was pronounced dead at the scene.

"Four victims have been critically wounded, one with minor injuries," according to a tweet from the department. According to deputies, all the victims are adults, and all of them have been transported to the hospital.

Minutes after their initial reports, the department reported that one person had been detained, and that deputies had recovered a gun that may have been involved in the shooting.

The police have detained one person and recovered a gun that may have been involved in the shooting.

The Orange County Fire Authority said it had crews on scene, transferring multiple people to the hospital. According to the Orange County Sheriff, about 40 people were inside the church at the time of the shooting.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom tweeted out a statement Sunday, saying that the governor's office is working closely with local law enforcement.

"No one should have to fear going to their place of worship," Newsom's statement said. "Our thoughts are with the victims, community, and all those impacted by this tragic event."

The Los Angeles branch of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives sent special agents to Laguna Woods to assist the OCSD with its investigation.

Sunday's shooting comes just one day after a man killed 10 people at a supermarket in Buffalo, NY, in what officials are investigating as a hate crime. Back in February, a man shot and killed five people including his daughters at a church in the Sacramento area.

According to the nonprofit research group Gun Violence Archive, Sunday's shooting at Geneva Presbyterian marks the 18th mass shooting in the state of California in 2022.

El Toro Road has been closed between Calle Sonora and Canyon Wren while police continue to investigate.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Can't be. California has the bestest gun laws around!

Says the person who has demonstrated in a few of his posts that he has a personal grudge against Democrats. How about posting some specific data to back up your claim? Hopefully, I won't have to ask you more than once to back up your claim, as I did before. And this time, let's avoid posting links to long-winded papers that neither one of us will read. Straightforward data will suffice.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Can't be. California has the bestest gun laws around!
Says the one who incessantly goes on with contentious diatribes about how not getting free plastic bags at the grocery store is tyranny.
Anything more than trollish hot air to add?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Says the person who has demonstrated in a few of his posts that he has a personal grudge against Democrats. How about posting some specific data to back up your claim? Hopefully, I won't have to ask you more than once to back up your claim, as I did before. And this time, let's avoid posting links to long-winded papers that neither one of us will read. Straightforward data will suffice.
Here ya go:
Firearms & Handgun Laws in California - Everything You Need to Know.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Thanks Twilight Hue. Now, tell me how California's gun laws are much stricter than the other 49 states in America. Out of curiosity, did you even read the website you linked, or did you randomly choose it from an online search because you thought it backed up Twilight Hue's claim?
You don't believe they are strict? Look at all the background checks and hoops. I assure you we don't have to do anywhere near that here. Several states now have constitutional carry where you don't have to have any permit to carry. And they have capacity limits and no loaded guns in the car and no so called assault rifles. Plus it's very expensive to get your permit there.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You don't believe they are strict? Look at all the background checks and hoops. I assure you we don't have to do anywhere near that here. Several states now have constitutional carry where you don't have to have any permit to carry. And they have capacity limits and no loaded guns in the car and no so called assault rifles. Plus it's very expensive to get your permit there.

Do you think it's wrong for California and other states to have stricter gun laws, or should every "Tom, Dick, and Harry" have access to guns, no matter if they're mentally ill or if they use their guns to commit hate crimes and kill people? Where is the line in the sand?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Do you think it's wrong for California and other states to have stricter gun laws, or should every "Tom, Dick, and Harry" have access to guns, no matter if they're mentally ill or if they use their guns to commit hate crimes and kill people? Where is the line in the sand?
Um please tell me how we are supposed to know who is going to commit hate crimes and kill people?
If someone is actively threatening to kill people, it should be investigated. But let's face it, almost anything can be a weapon. Timothy McVeigh killed over 100 people with diesel fuel and and fertilizer and he didn't even have to be there. 911 was just airplanes flown into buildings, killing way more then anyone could with a gun. To have lots of restrictions on guns just makes them less accessible to the good people. I know churches that have concealed carry people in the church every week... but only a few people know who they are ..built in security.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Um please tell me how we are supposed to know who is going to commit hate crimes and kill people?
If someone is actively threatening to kill people, it should be investigated. But let's face it, almost anything can be a weapon. Timothy McVeigh killed over 100 people with diesel fuel and and fertilizer and he didn't even have to be there. 911 was just airplanes flown into buildings, killing way more then anyone could with a gun. To have lots of restrictions on guns just makes them less accessible to the good people. I know churches that have concealed carry people in the church every week... but only a few people know who they are ..built in security.
And this is an extremely defeatist attitude. "We can't stop all of them so why try to stop any of them?"

We stop the ones that we are able to stop.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Says the one who incessantly goes on with contentious diatribes about how not getting free plastic bags at the grocery store is tyranny.
The plastic bag thing is a scam. You know who lobbied to charge for bags? The grocery industry! It wasn’t about the environment. It was about making corporations more money.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Your way too ignorant to what my points are in these debates.

I'll give you a subtle hint.

It's about ones private choices and ownership.

Plastic bags are a symptom to a much larger issue with authoritarian Democrats and the reasons the nanny state even exists.