• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling all UUs and friends of UUs for Peace

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
September 20th, 2007

Dear Friends,
Today we launch the Washington Office's biggest advocacy campaign ever! Rev. William G. Sinkford, President of the UUA, is heading to Capitol Hill on October 10th to tell Congress to end this war and he wants to bring your voice with him! Our goal is to collect 25,000 signatures for peace; nearly 10% of our members in the United States!

Please add your voice to the 25,000 UUs who say, "end this war!"

In early January, Rev. William G. Sinkford wrote to President Bush saying NO! to the surge; the President did not listen. Then, in March, he sent a message to Congress asking them to assess how this war has affected our nation's moral balance; Congress chose to fund the war. Then, earlier this month, Rev. Sinkford faxed every member of congress telling them, yet again, "Not another dollar. Not another life."

In the aftermath of the Patraeus and Crocker testimony and the reality that Congress is once again considering funding this war, Rev. Sinkford is refusing to stand idly by, wondering if his messages were received. Along with Rev. John Thomas, General Minister and President of the United Church of Christ, Rev. Sinkford will be visiting your members of Congress on October 10th and carrying with him a message of peace. He does not want to do this alone. He wants to do it with the support of as many Unitarian Universalists as possible. We have set an ambitious goal of gathering 25,000 signatures in less than a month. Add your voice to 25,000 UUs as we say, "end this war!"

Please send this on-line petition to as many of your friends as possible. You can also download a copy of the petition and a sign-up sheet to take into your congregations on Sunday.

Add your voice to 25,000 UUs as we say, "end this war!"

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I signed it. I don't know what the best way is for us to get out of Iraq, but I do know that I don't want to see another preemptive war. I definitely don't want us invading Iran.

I invite you to sign the petition below calling for an end to our reliance on violence as the first, rather than the last, resort and an end to the arrogant unilateralism of preemptive war.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Was this meant to be a rhetorical thread or is it just going to be you and I against Washington? I'm not going to have Amway salesmen show up at my door am I? :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Was this meant to be a rhetorical thread or is it just going to be you and I against Washington? I'm not going to have Amway salesmen show up at my door am I? :D
:D

Well, I was hoping to have more responses from the UUs here. But we are a slow forum sometimes. Or maybe people signed and didn't bother to post. *hoping*

I am just trying to get the word out. 25,000 is our most ambitious campaign ever but we wanted to aim high. It's not just you and me, tho. We're up to 4,300 signatures! :cool:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
fyi, we are over 8,000 signatures. At this rate, we're probably not going to make 25,000 but the response has still been HUGE. To see some of the responses left by fellow signees, check out this blog post:
Inspired Faith, Effective Action: Petition for Peace

Please tell your friends and family, anyone whom you know wants to stop this war. You do not have to be a UU to sign (just willing to have your name counted with UUs).

powder21

Always Changing
Just signed it and already printed out a copy of the petition (and four copies of the sign sheet) to take to church tomorrow. Wish I'da read this earlier. I missed church last Sunday, so they may already have passed this around...we'll see what happens.

powder21

Always Changing
I just got back from Church and, low and behold, it was this month's Sunday Luncheon! A lot of people stick around after church and eat lunch together. Everybody's at a table and it was PERFECT for going around and getting signatures. I got 41!!!!!!!!!! I expected to get some more, but there were actually quite a few conservatives that refused to sign. I held my tongue, just said thank you and moved on. After all, there were FAR more people willing to sign. I even had people coming to me to make sure I didn't pass them up. Anyways, just thought you'd like to know. I'll be faxing the sheets in tomorrow.
:woohoo:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I just got back from Church and, low and behold, it was this month's Sunday Luncheon! A lot of people stick around after church and eat lunch together. Everybody's at a table and it was PERFECT for going around and getting signatures. I got 41!!!!!!!!!! I expected to get some more, but there were actually quite a few conservatives that refused to sign. I held my tongue, just said thank you and moved on. After all, there were FAR more people willing to sign. I even had people coming to me to make sure I didn't pass them up. Anyways, just thought you'd like to know. I'll be faxing the sheets in tomorrow.
:woohoo:
That's fantastic powder!! woot! :bow:

I wish I could frubal you again, but the system tells me I have to spread them around before I can give them to you again. Could some fellow UUs give a nod to powder, please? :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
The final tally, because you all deserve to know. :)

Running 398 pages; Containing 13,006 Signatures; organized by state, city, last name, then zip code (yes it is sorted in 4 ways); covered with an awesome cover letter; and pulled together by six staff, three temps, eight volunteers, and 13,006 UUs.

Reverend Sinkford, our president of the UUA, will be on Capitol Hill today to deliver over 13,000 signatures!! WOOT!! :jam: Even tho we did not make our original goal, it was truly our biggest online campaign ever. To all who participated, THANK YOU for being a part of history!!

P.S. Did I mention that we got signatures from all 50 states and (of course) DC?

powder21

Always Changing
The final tally, because you all deserve to know. :)

Running 398 pages; Containing 13,006 Signatures; organized by state, city, last name, then zip code (yes it is sorted in 4 ways); covered with an awesome cover letter; and pulled together by six staff, three temps, eight volunteers, and 13,006 UUs.

Reverend Sinkford, our president of the UUA, will be on Capitol Hill today to deliver over 13,000 signatures!! WOOT!! :jam: Even tho we did not make our original goal, it was truly our biggest online campaign ever. To all who participated, THANK YOU for being a part of history!!

P.S. Did I mention that we got signatures from all 50 states and (of course) DC?
AWESOME!!!!!!! 13,000 is still impressive! :clap2: