• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling women "Guys".

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Having grown up (be nice) in the 70's, I'm used to using the word "guys" when addressing any group of people regardless of gender.

Recently though I've noticed a few negative reactions from groups of women when I do this. So it occurred to me: could be that using "guys" as a non-gender specific designation is one of the countless things that have gone out of vogue at some point in time while I was paying attention to something else (or just not paying attention at all).

So, question: do women now find it offensive to be referred to as "guys"? And if so, is there a new term being used that somehow got by me (I've tried using "ladies" but it feels too formal).

And if there isn't a new term, and "guys" is now passe', I think it only fair that someone come up with a new term (hopefully something Celtic sounding). :beach:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Cant speak for the urbanisms of your language, but in spanish there are some words we use from english like. "Brother" to a friend or "man" to a person.

This are used many times without caring if said friend is female or said person is female.

"ella es mi broder!" "She is my brother (brother= really close friend. Non sexual context)

Curious stuff

Thana

Lady
Personally it doesn't offend me, Because I know it's not intentionally 'sexist' or anything like that.

I would prefer another term, But luckily in Australia it's less guys when refering to a group and more 'Oi ****heads' or 'Mates' or something along those lines. ;)

And when guys refer to chicks, It's usually as broad, bird, sheila or missus etc.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Cant speak for the urbanisms of your language, but in spanish there are some words we use from english like. "Brother" to a friend or "man" to a person.

This are used many times without caring if said friend is female or said person is female.

"ella es mi broder!" "She is my brother (brother= really close friend. Non sexual context)

Curious stuff

Cool! I'll try that here. :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally it doesn't offend me, Because I know it's not intentionally 'sexist' or anything like that.

I would prefer another term, But luckily in Australia it's less guys when refering to a group and more 'Oi ****heads' or 'Mates' or something along those lines. ;)

And when guys refer to chicks, It's usually as broad, bird, sheila or missus etc.

Now see, here in the U.S., if a guy referred to a woman as "chick" or "broad" he'd be written off as an Andrew Dice Clay wanna-be (read that "superficially over-macho jerk").

I've always liked "sheila" though. Sounds vaguely like a woman who lives in the jungle and wears a leopard skin bikini.

Thana

Lady
Now see, here in the U.S., if a guy referred to a woman as "chick" or "broad" he'd be written off as an Andrew Dice Clay wanna-be (read that "superficially over-macho jerk").

I've always liked "sheila" though. Sounds vaguely like a woman who lives in the jungle and wears a leopard skin bikini.

Really? Sheila always makes me think of a stripper nearing her 45th birthday. lol :facepalm:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Guys is fine. It has become non-gender specific. My daughter says she calls her female friends that, like "Hey guys, let's go to Benny's place."

Course this could vary geographically or ethnically.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Doesn't bother me in the least, and I find it strange that others would be bothered by it.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I wouldn't be referring to people who took offense at that at all, as I wouldn't hang out with people who got offended at such silliness.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Guys is fine. It has become non-gender specific. My daughter says she calls her female friends that, like "Hey guys, let's go to Benny's place."

Course this could vary geographically or ethnically.

Could be. One thing about the Left Coast is that we have our own rules for social etiquette, and nobody knows what they are. And it isn't worth bothering to find out because they change every 5 minutes.

Doesn't bother me in the least, and I find it strange that others would be bothered by it.

I find it strange too. The only thing I can figure is that every woman I know in real life is secretly in love with me, and me referring to them all as part of a group, and in a gender-neutral tone, mars whatever wild romantic fantasies they're no doubt having about me.

I mean really, when you think about it it's the only explanation that makes any sense. :shrug:

I wouldn't be referring to people who took offense at that at all, as I wouldn't hang out with people who got offended at such silliness.

You wouldn't like it here then.

4consideration

Premium Member
Having grown up (be nice) in the 70's, I'm used to using the word "guys" when addressing any group of people regardless of gender.

Recently though I've noticed a few negative reactions from groups of women when I do this. So it occurred to me: could be that using "guys" as a non-gender specific designation is one of the countless things that have gone out of vogue at some point in time while I was paying attention to something else (or just not paying attention at all).

So, question: do women now find it offensive to be referred to as "guys"? And if so, is there a new term being used that somehow got by me (I've tried using "ladies" but it feels too formal).

And if there isn't a new term, and "guys" is now passe', I think it only fair that someone come up with a new term (hopefully something Celtic sounding). :beach:
Y'all!

It has so many good uses. :D