• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling women "Guys".

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I find it strange too. The only thing I can figure is that every woman I know in real life is secretly in love with me, and me referring to them all as part of a group, and in a gender-neutral tone, mars whatever wild romantic fantasies they're no doubt having about me.

I mean really, when you think about it it's the only explanation that makes any sense.

There might actually be something to that. Most of my friends IRL right now are guys, and they think of me as "one of the guys." It sort of sucks for prospective relationships, because they don't even see me as a heterosexual woman. A single, heterosexual woman. -_-

(not that I'd date any of them anyway, but it's the principle of the thing!)

4consideration

Premium Member
I've actually considered that, even tried it once or twice.

Just doesn't feel right. :p

Try including it when you're yelling at a group of people a few times. It helps solidify your relationship with the term, to really own it, if you seal it with emotional intensity. (Or, I'm just B.S.ing you right now. Who knows?)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
There might actually be something to that. Most of my friends IRL right now are guys, and they think of me as "one of the guys." It sort of sucks for prospective relationships, because they don't even see me as a heterosexual woman. A single, heterosexual woman. -_-

Proving once again that pride always trumps pragmatism. :D

Try including it when you're yelling at a group of people a few times. It helps solidify your relationship with the term, to really own it, if you seal it with emotional intensity. (Or, I'm just B.S.ing you right now. Who knows?)

Hmmmmm, that might work. I'm pretty sure that if someone were to yell at a group of people here and throw in a cpl of "Ya'lls" they'd immediately assume that person was from the deep south and therefore drunk, psychotically violent, and armed to the teeth.

Thana

Lady

Maybe try showing a ridiculous amount of cleavage?

Also bending over to pick up things in tight clothing.
Always works in the movies :shrug:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe try showing a ridiculous amount of cleavage?

Also bending over to pick up things in tight clothing.
Always works in the movies :shrug:

XD

Yeah, maybe if all I was looking for was a roll in the sack.

I'm really more for the lifemate type of relationship where the person is interested in... you know... my brain and personality over the fact that I have a large cup size.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I use guys in a gender neutral fashion all the time, but on reflection it's pretty much limited to herding groups of children.
(Like...'C'mon guys, take your fingers out of your noses and come get your lunch')

And Thana...sheilas? Really??? Which part of Oz are you living in? If anyone calls my wife a sheila they can probably expect a solid right to the nose...lol
'The Missus' is enough to earn me a cold stare.

;)

Thana

Lady
I use guys in a gender neutral fashion all the time, but on reflection it's pretty much limited to herding groups of children.
(Like...'C'mon guys, take your fingers out of your noses and come get your lunch')

And Thana...sheilas? Really??? Which part of Oz are you living in? If anyone calls my wife a sheila they can probably expect a solid right to the nose...lol
'The Missus' is enough to earn me a cold stare.

;)

Haha
I'm a Queenslander.
Although I don't know if that clarify's anything :D

Really? I love it when guys refer to their partners as 'The missus'
It's kinda cute, And a thousand times better than 'The old ball and chain' :drool:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Having grown up (be nice) in the 70's, I'm used to using the word "guys" when addressing any group of people regardless of gender.

Recently though I've noticed a few negative reactions from groups of women when I do this. So it occurred to me: could be that using "guys" as a non-gender specific designation is one of the countless things that have gone out of vogue at some point in time while I was paying attention to something else (or just not paying attention at all).

So, question: do women now find it offensive to be referred to as "guys"? And if so, is there a new term being used that somehow got by me (I've tried using "ladies" but it feels too formal).

And if there isn't a new term, and "guys" is now passe', I think it only fair that someone come up with a new term (hopefully something Celtic sounding). :beach:
You know what? I'm a 65-year-old woman and I've always referred to both sexes as "guys." I would say, "you guys" to a bunch of women friends without giving it a second thought.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Haha
I'm a Queenslander.
Although I don't know if that clarify's anything :D

Oooh...it explains a LOT...lol
(j/k)

Really? I love it when guys refer to their partners as 'The missus'
It's kinda cute, And a thousand times better than 'The old ball and chain' :drool:

Well, her bark is worse than her bite, and rolling her eyes is the default response to any of my poor attempts at humour. Hard to blame her for this, she's been putting up with the same crappy jokes for 17 years.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

I find myself saying the exact same thing to the people I'm dealing with, and most of them are college age or older.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You know what? I'm a 65-year-old woman and I've always referred to both sexes as "guys." I would say, "you guys" to a bunch of women friends without giving it a second thought.

It occurred to me that the age discrepancy might have something to do with it: I just started attending college again at 54, so almost all of the people I'm interacting with are more than 30 years younger than I am.

Maybe using "guys" to respond to people who usually call you "sir" seems awkward or inappropriate (or sumthin' :p).

That settles it: from now on I'm going to use "hey airheads".

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That settles it: from now on I'm going to use "hey airheads".

I meant to say before, my suggestions that 'guy' is fine and gender neutral should be discounted, really. I've been known to call women (occasionally) 'knackers', so I'm really not a quality resource.

Thana

Lady
This is also what I use if it's a group of males. You know, so I don't come off as a sexist jerk and all.

Guys call other guys b***** all the time, I think because it's extra insulting since it's generally meant to be used towards chicks.

Me, I love calling guys b*****
Its fun ;)

Thana

Lady
Guys call other guys b***** all the time, I think because it's extra insulting since it's generally meant to be used towards chicks.

Me, I love calling guys b*****
Its fun ;)

Ugh see! I can't stop calling men 'guys'
Maybe it is bad :areyoucra

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I usually say "you all" or "ya'll", but I use "guys" sometimes as well for male groups or mixed gender groups because that was just a common way of speaking where I grew up too. I don't get offended if someone else says it either.

lunamoth

Will to love
I say guys in a cross-gender way often. I also might say folks to a mixed group or online group. I say girls in groups where I know that is acceptable, and ladies in about any group of women. I have not tried bit##es, but maybe I need to broaden my vocabulary.

Congrats on returning to uni! Hope you are studying something fun, like advanced calculus.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I usually say "you all" or "ya'll", but I use "guys" sometimes as well for male groups or mixed gender groups because that was just a common way of speaking where I grew up too. I don't get offended if someone else says it either.

I call my male friends ladies and my female friends guys.

I'm just going to start calling everybody "Bill". They already think I'm weird so. . .:shrug:

I say guys in a cross-gender way often. I also might say folks to a mixed group or online group. I say girls in groups where I know that is acceptable, and ladies in about any group of women. I have not tried bit##es, but maybe I need to broaden my vocabulary.

Congrats on returning to uni! Hope you are studying something fun, like advanced calculus.

Thanks Luna. I registered for classes in computer graphics, multi-media for musicians, and a PE class. I wound up dropping the CG class so I could focus on the music class which wound up getting canceled right after. :p

So this time around I'm just doing the PE class.