• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling women "Guys".

lunamoth

Will to love
I'm just going to start calling everybody "Bill". They already think I'm weird so. . .:shrug:

Thanks Luna. I registered for classes in computer graphics, multi-media for musicians, and a PE class. I wound up dropping the CG class so I could focus on the music class which wound up getting canceled right after. :p

So this time around I'm just doing the PE class.

Sorry your music class was cancelled. I would like to take some courses in philosophy some time, and maybe creative writing. But, what I most need is a refresher in immunology and I don't have time for that.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry your music class was cancelled. I would like to take some courses in philosophy some time, and maybe creative writing. But, what I most need is a refresher in immunology and I don't have time for that.

One thing I learned about college, Luna: never take anything that ends in "-ology". They expect you to learn things. :yes:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
No wonder I never got much sleep. Almost every class I took ended in -ology. French-ology was the hardest.

I wanted to get it all over with at once so I asked them if they had classes in Stuffology. The counselor said no, but there was a nice course in KuklaFranAndology. Couldn't find it in the course catalog though.

lunamoth

Will to love
I wanted to get it all over with at once so I asked them if they had classes in Stuffology. The counselor said no, but there was a nice course in KuklaFranAndology. Couldn't find it in the course catalog though.

Guess she owes you an apology. Yuk yuk yuk!

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
There might actually be something to that. Most of my friends IRL right now are guys, and they think of me as "one of the guys." It sort of sucks for prospective relationships, because they don't even see me as a heterosexual woman. A single, heterosexual woman. -_-

(not that I'd date any of them anyway, but it's the principle of the thing!)
You're a chick???
Well, I'm gonna have to go chauvinistic from now on and give you less crap. :run:

As for the OP, I think I normally use 'guys' and the Hebrew equivalent, even the Arabic equivalent if I'm talking to a mixed group of Arab men and women. Now if the entire group is made of girls I also simply use 'girls'. For example: 'Hey girls, you've been sitting on your fat ***** for half an hour, it's time to start shoveling'.

I find it casual, clear and not prone to be interpreted as offensive.

Me Myself

Back to my username
There might actually be something to that. Most of my friends IRL right now are guys, and they think of me as "one of the guys." It sort of sucks for prospective relationships, because they don't even see me as a heterosexual woman. A single, heterosexual woman. -_-

(not that I'd date any of them anyway, but it's the principle of the thing!)

I blame your avatar.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So it occurred to me: could be that using "guys" as a non-gender specific designation is one of the countless things that have gone out of vogue at some point in time while I was paying attention to something else (or just not paying attention at all).

So, question: do women now find it offensive to be referred to as "guys"? And if so, is there a new term being used that somehow got by me (I've tried using "ladies" but it feels too formal).
Oh, golly. That thought arises more times than I can count, about other things though.

But no, even though I grew up in the 70's too, it's still acceptable to call women chums "guys." Always will be.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Maybe it just depends on what you are used to. I grew up where a group full of people were referred to as guys regardless of gender. Some have not. As long as people arent calling me a man we cool.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I grew up with Rita Moreno yelling out "HEY YOU GUYS!!!" on the Electric Company back in the '70s.

So, "guys" has always been considered gender-neutral to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is ridiculous!
Is anyone going to mount a real objection to calling girls "guys"?
Let the krovy flow!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This reminds me of the rare occasion where some women object to being referred to as "ma'am". Apparently, rather than simply being the female equivalent of "sir", they insist that it refers specifically to older women, and that "miss" is the proper designation.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
What do you not like about peeps?

Uh ..it just drives me nuts. Maybe I need to pray about it . I just don't like "peeps" .

I'm from the south I say "ya'll. I also say "hey guys" in a mixed group or even all women.

Peeps makes me feel like a baby chicken.:sorry1:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
"Peeps" is the suck *** candy you get in an Easter basket that's made out of marshmallows and is a badly designed duck with crunchy sugar on it.