• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can an atheist believe in God?

Jagella

Most people I've discussed God with, especially Christians in online forums, assume that I'm an atheist even though I no longer label myself that way. I ask a lot of questions about theism and religion and expect honest, sensible answers, but I don't tell them I'm an atheist. I also have what I think are convincing arguments that Gods are human creations and that miracles don't happen.

So what's going on with me? As odd as it might sound, in a way it seems that yes, I do believe in God. I was a Christian into my early twenties having been Roman Catholic and then evangelical. I don't think I ever completely shook all that indoctrination. Although belief in God is obviously irrational and delusional, there is a part of my psyche that includes some theism. Evidently human cognition can be inconsistent holding contradictory views. What we reason and what we feel can be quite different.

So yes, I think an atheist can believe in God. To smooth over that paradox, let's say that an atheist reasons that no Gods exist, but belief is another matter. So let me say that I'm a "rational atheist" in that I doubt God based on reason rather than lack of belief. Or to dispense with theistic labels completely, let's say I'm a "truth seeker" who has found that belief in God is to believe a lie.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Do you believe a theistic god exists?

Yes - You're a theist
No - You're an atheist

I can relate to your journey. I was raised Catholic, started questioning in my mid-to-late teens and stopped really practicing during college. I started here in my midish twenties and still considered myself Christian but didn't have any conviction. In discussing things here, I came to realize what you did, that there is no evidence for a god, and that there's plenty of reason to say that gods are human inventions. In other words, I didn't believe in God. It still took me a little while to fully come to terms with being an atheist, but I did.

An atheist can't believe in God, by definition. If you realize there is no god, but you feel like your subconscious still has remnants of wanting to believe, that's OK. I'd say you're still an atheist.

Jagella

Do you believe a theistic god exists?

Yes - You're a theist
No - You're an atheist
What if the answer is "not sure"? I don't see theism as a yes/no, binary phenomenon.
An atheist can't believe in God, by definition.
Which definition are you referring to? Webster defines atheism as either lack of belief in a deity or strong disbelief. I've heard that atheists are people who believe there is no God.
If you realize there is no god, but you feel like your subconscious still has remnants of wanting to believe, that's OK. I'd say you're still an atheist.
I don't see my having a remnant of theism as a problem in a practical sense.

HonestJoe

So let me say that I'm a "rational atheist" in that I doubt God based on reason rather than lack of belief. Or to dispense with theistic labels completely, let's say I'm a "truth seeker" who has found that belief in God is to believe a lie.
Some people get far to caught up in all the labels and definitions. You don't need to label yourself anything, and if you're still in this ongoing process from specific religious beliefs, you probably shouldn't be claiming any labels.

In the most simple terms though, atheist is defined as "someone who doesn't believe in any gods" and theist is defined as "someone who does believe in a god or gods". There is plenty of variation beyond those simple characteristics and no person is going to be defined by either of them alone (not by a long shot), but it can't go beyond those core definitions. There is also far too much misuse and abuse of the terms to attack or put down different groups of people which doesn't help.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What if the answer is "not sure"? I don't see theism as a yes/no, binary phenomenon.
I mean, the answer is really going to be one or the other. Theism is a binary phenomenon.
Which definition are you referring to? Webster defines atheism as either lack of belief in a deity or strong disbelief. I've heard that atheists are people who believe there is no God.
That Webster's definition. Basically "without belief in a theistic god". Sometimes that just means you lack it, and sometimes it means you have a belief that there is no god.
I don't see my having a remnant of theism as a problem in a practical sense.
It's not. But you're saying you have reasoned that God doesn't exist, so that's your stance on it. Then you're an atheist.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
let's say that an atheist reasons that no Gods exist, but belief is another matter.
Let us say a tail is a leg.
How many legs does a dog have?
Four, simply calling a tail a leg does not make a tail a leg.

So let me say that I'm a "rational atheist" in that I doubt God based on reason rather than lack of belief.
Except that now you are bastardizing two words.

Or to dispense with theistic labels completely, let's say I'm a "truth seeker" who has found that belief in God is to believe a lie.
How about you find out if there is already a name for this particular condition and go with that?

IF you luck out and there isn't already name for this particular condition, you could always make up a name for.
That is much better than bastardizing words.

GoodAttention

Most people I've discussed God with, especially Christians in online forums, assume that I'm an atheist even though I no longer label myself that way. I ask a lot of questions about theism and religion and expect honest, sensible answers, but I don't tell them I'm an atheist. I also have what I think are convincing arguments that Gods are human creations and that miracles don't happen.

So what's going on with me? As odd as it might sound, in a way it seems that yes, I do believe in God. I was a Christian into my early twenties having been Roman Catholic and then evangelical. I don't think I ever completely shook all that indoctrination. Although belief in God is obviously irrational and delusional, there is a part of my psyche that includes some theism. Evidently human cognition can be inconsistent holding contradictory views. What we reason and what we feel can be quite different.

So yes, I think an atheist can believe in God. To smooth over that paradox, let's say that an atheist reasons that no Gods exist, but belief is another matter. So let me say that I'm a "rational atheist" in that I doubt God based on reason rather than lack of belief. Or to dispense with theistic labels completely, let's say I'm a "truth seeker" who has found that belief in God is to believe a lie.

Do you consider God to be knowable or unknowable?

Jagella

I mean, the answer is really going to be one or the other. Theism is a binary phenomenon.
That's a fallacy of bifurcation. There are more than yes/no answers to the question: "Do you believe in God." I already posted an example of a third answer.
That Webster's definition.
I know. I said it is Webster's definition.
Basically "without belief in a theistic god". Sometimes that just means you lack it, and sometimes it means you have a belief that there is no god.
Right, and some atheists might believe there is no God which differs from lacking belief in a God.
It's not. But you're saying you have reasoned that God doesn't exist, so that's your stance on it. Then you're an atheist.
But I thought you said atheists do not believe in God. I have some belief in God, so under your view I am not an atheist. What I'm saying is that although I'm an atheist, I do have some belief in God. My atheism is based on reason rather than belief.

Jagella

@Jagella, you said “belief in God is obviously irrational and delusional”. I disagree. It’s a very sane way to live and offers great rewards.
If belief in God works for you, then I can't argue with success. Based on my own experiences, belief in God is obviously a delusion. It could be that many people need the God delusion to cope with life and death. I won't deny you that remedy if you think it makes you feel better.

Jagella

Let us say a tail is a leg.
How many legs does a dog have?
Four, simply calling a tail a leg does not make a tail a leg.
You can call things whatever you want to. The trick is to use the same names other people do.
Except that now you are bastardizing two words.
You don't understand that definitions of words can differ and often do differ?
How about you find out if there is already a name for this particular condition and go with that?
No thank you. "Truth seeker" works fine.
IF you luck out and there isn't already name for this particular condition, you could always make up a name for.
That is much better than bastardizing words.
"Bastardizing" is awfully harsh, don't you think?

PureX

Veteran Member
There is God the imaginary deity that humans create for themselves in their minds. And there is God the mystery source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is. If you understand this, and how these different ideations interact, you can b3 both theist and atheist simultaneously.

Not many people are able to do this, however.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
If belief in God works for you, then I can't argue with success. Based on my own experiences, belief in God is obviously a delusion. It could be that many people need the God delusion to cope with life and death. I won't deny you that remedy if you think it makes you feel better.
A delusion for you.
Cope? Nah. Being wise? Yeah.