• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can An Atheist Believe in God?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Simple question: Can you believe that god(s) exist and still be an atheist?

If so, please explain your position.

If not, is there any other belief which would also disqualifiy you as an atheist?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

If not, is there any other belief which would also disqualifiy you as an atheist?
As Wandered Off said, it depends on what you consider "god(s)" to be.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I suppose it's possible for an atheist to believe in something that someone else calls "god", but without believing that thing to be a god.

For example, a pantheist believes that the universe is God. I believe the universe exists and I acknowledge that pantheists consider the universe to be God, but I still consider myself an atheist.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
About the only way I can think of is to believe that "god" exists only as a construct of a believer's mind, and not outside that environment.

So, you're believing in the existence of someone's mental construct of god, but not in the existence of god itself. This being what makes you an atheist, correct?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Essentially, I'm trying to ascertain what atheism isn't, instead of what it is.

So, other than believing in the existence of something you define as god, is there any other criteria which would negate being an atheist?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

So, other than believing in the existence of something you define as god, is there any other criteria which would negate being an atheist?
None that I can think of.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
So, you're believing in the existence of someone's mental construct of god, but not in the existence of god itself. This being what makes you an atheist, correct?
Pretty much. Heck, I might even have a mental construct for god characters described in holy texts or literature, just as I have a mental construct for Arthur Dent, but that doesn't make him real outside my mind or the pages of a book. It's not at all unusual for mental constructs to have no external referent.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Depending on your definition of "atheist", the inability to have any beliefs at all would negate being an atheist.

I've heard some people claim that rocks, for instance, are "atheist", since they don't believe in anything and therefore don't believe in God. I personally think that's an unreasonable use of the term "atheist".

The root of the word "atheist" gives you your answer itself. A- meaning none Theos- meaning God. No god.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you said that you're an atheist and that you consider yourself to be a god?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Depending on your definition of "atheist", the inability to have any beliefs at all would negate being an atheist.

I've heard some people claim that rocks, for instance, are "atheist", since they don't believe in anything and therefore don't believe in God. I personally think that's an unreasonable use of the term "atheist".

Excellent point. I definitely agree with that. Not being able to conceptualize the idea of what a god is not only negates one being a theist, but also an atheist.

So, other than being able to conceptualize what a god is, and believing in the existence of something you define as god, is there any other criteria which would negate being an atheist?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you said that you're an atheist and that you consider yourself to be a god?
I don't literally consider myself to be a "god". My organization holds no belief in anything beyond the physical. We use the term "god" loosely, to mean that we are in charge of our own lives and can do whatever we so choose while on this earth.

I don't literally consider myself to be a "god". My organization holds no belief in anything beyond the physical. We use the term "god" loosely, to mean that we are in charge of our own lives and can do whatever we so choose while on this earth.
Autotheism in a nutshell. Have you ever read the Satanic bible? Sounds as if your philosophy might be drawn straight from it.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I like to find exceptions to all rules and definitions but this one doesn't seem to have an exception, an atheist can not believe in God.

The moment he/she believes in god he is no longer an atheist.

footprints

Simply put no. The atheist belief, and what makes them atheist, is their belief, that they are lacking in a belief, that a deity exists.

This means everything associated and related to a deity, for to accept something like tarrot cards as one example, the perceived atheist would be giving support to the possibility of a deity position and thereby diminishing their lack of belief position. They would be moving to or from the pagan position, or caught between two belief patterns.

Other than the above, the atheist position is open slather to every other belief pattern on earth, the good, the bad and the downright ugly of it all.

joea

Oshoyoi

Yes. An atheist will not believe in a God as a concept, or the existence of deities, but he may believe that God is in him, he is already a divine being.

Baydwin

I wonder, if a person believed in a God but also thought that God unworthy of worship, so that God had no part in their lives whatsoever beyond that simple acknowledgement of existence. What would they be?