• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Anyone be Racist?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Can a person who is a racial minority in America, such as someone of African, Asian, or Native American descent, practice racism against Whites?

The question would seem very unlikely to me, except that I've now and then heard people assert that it is impossible for a person who is a racial minority to practice racism because racism somehow requires that one be of the majority or dominant group in a given society.

However, I myself think the best definition of "racism" (so far as I'm concerned) allows for the possibility that anyone, regardless of race, might practice racism. That is, as I define it, racism is the conceptual reduction of a person or group of people to no more than their race. Thus, everything a person might be, in the fullest sense of those words, is seen through the lens of racism as of at least secondary importance to that one thing -- their race.

So, do how do you define racism? And can a anyone be racist according to your definition of the term, or is it impossible for some people to be racist?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Can Anyone be Racist?

I tried a couple of times, but was an utter failure.
failure.jpg

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
But, in all honesty, Sunstone-ji. Why would you ask such a question?

Anyone can be racist.

In Japan, being called a Gaijin isn't nice. Nor is being called a bhuryo or firangee in India.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I define being racist as holding prejudices about particular races. These prejudices can be stereotypical, can be negative, can also be supremacist in nature as well. When you start categorizing people by their race, start attributing certain characteristics to people merely based upon the color of their skin without knowing anything else about them, that's racism. One does not need to be of a majority to do such a thing.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Yes, i knew a racist girl, she was very kind and funny and never thought she can be like that.
She clealy said that she is racist against white people, i remember that she even yelled that once in front of everyone.

I think that some people are like that when they always live in community, in a neighbourg where there's just strangers.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To a certain degree, everyone is a racist. Without knowing it consciously, that's just how the subconscious mind works. It's an effort to categorize, to make life simpler. So based on it's past experiences, the mind just jumps to erroneous conclusions. If many or most of your experiences with members of a certain town, gender, race, hair colour, etc. have been a certain way, it's a natural conclusion to expect the next person of that town, gender, race, that comes along to behave according to the same pattern.

But this isn't the same as people who purposely act in certain aggressive ways towards member of other races. So I think maybe 'racism' needs a clear definition.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Can a person who is a racial minority in America, such as someone of African, Asian, or Native American descent, practice racism against Whites?

Of course. It is not even particularly rare.

(...)

So, do how do you define racism? And can a anyone be racist according to your definition of the term, or is it impossible for some people to be racist?

I tend to prefer to talk of xenophoby, myself. But racism is a fairly close concept. Both are reducionisms that attempt to judge people's virtue and merit as a result of some other basically unrelated, perhaps easily recognizable attribute.

Incidentally, both are little more than the flip side of nationalism, patriotism and ufanism.

All of those are confort delusions, perhaps understandable but never particularly constructive or mature.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3445339 said:
But, in all honesty, Sunstone-ji. Why would you ask such a question?

Anyone can be racist.

In Japan, being called a Gaijin isn't nice. Nor is being called a bhuryo or firangee in India.

Or a Goy, a Gajo, a Gringo...

It is in human nature to consider "foreigners" as not worth of so much consideration.

Almost funny actually.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Or a Goy, a Gajo, a Gringo...

It is in human nature to consider "foreigners" as not worth of so much consideration.

Almost funny actually.

I forgot about Gringo. Sheesh. Hehe.

But, yeah, I stand by saying that anyone can be racist.

Alceste

Vagabond
I think the idea is that racism has a more destructive impact on people's lives when practiced by a politically and economically powerful majority against a less privileged minority.

It's not that minorities can't be racists, it's more that the don't really have the political or economic power to impact the daily lives of the majority, so it seems like a less pressing social issue.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think the idea is that racism has a more destructive impact on people's lives when practiced by a politically and economically powerful majority against a less privileged minority.

It's not that minorities can't be racists, it's more that the don't really have the political or economic power to impact the daily lives of the majority, so it seems like a less pressing social issue.

In Rhodesia especially, and in South Africa, it was the minority impacting the daily lives of the majority. But these are probably just two rare examples. Not sure.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
In Rhodesia especially, and in South Africa, it was the minority impacting the daily lives of the majority. But these are probably just two rare examples. Not sure.
I think the main point is that those with power get to practice their racism more freely and institutionalize it. They don't always have to be more in numbers.

So to expand on the OP again. Yeah, anyone can be racist. In fact plenty of racism is directed between minorities against each other.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Yes anyone can be racist.The harmful affects of that racism towards the race /races they are racist against can vary .That would of course have to do with power and #'s how broad it is etc..

Your racism may only be able to affect for example your children's choice of mate.Or who you hire in your shop.

How many of your race is also racist and what kind of power they have over who you are racist against..makes it WORSE.

Oh gosh I just almost sang a riddle in my head.

Bottom line.Yes anyone can be racist.In some cases though that's just their problem mostly.(as to affect on who they are racist against) in other cases its a big problem for the target race as a whole.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I just have to add..Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear..fuzzy wuzzy had no hair..fuzzy wuzzy wasn't fuzzy was he..?

Alceste

Vagabond

Not that rare - the Protestant minority oppressed the Catholic majority in Ulster for centuries. And, actually, colonialism was founded on the principle of powerful minorities kicking the tar out of the more numerous locals. Hussein's Ba'athist ruling class was a minority in Iraq. Basically, when one ethnic group holds the majority of the economic and political power, they generally use it to be horrible to everybody else, whether they are in the majority of not.

I think the main point is that those with power get to practice their racism more freely and institutionalize it. They don't always have to be more in numbers.

So to expand on the OP again. Yeah, anyone can be racist. In fact plenty of racism is directed between minorities against each other.

Yeah, that was my main point. :)