• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Anyone be Racist?

Galen.Iksnudnard

Can a person who is a racial minority in America, such as someone of African, Asian, or Native American descent, practice racism against Whites?

Racism is prejudice plus privilege, and only whites have privilege being the "dominant" racial group by numbers and by political clout in the USA. Other races might be prejudiced, but in the case of say African-Americans much of this prejudice is motivated by fear and mistrust of the system than true racial hatred. Moreover, African-Americans generally do not look down on whites with contempt or as if they were unworthy, while it goes without saying that many whites do view blacks as being inferior (even if subconsciously).

In order to truly understand racism, we need to understand how privilege and power operate in a society like America's. “Racism” must include the ability of one group to subjugate another, and since black people have never had the social, economic or political power to subjugate white people, they cannot be racist, by definition.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Last edited by a moderator:

Kerr

Can a person who is a racial minority in America, such as someone of African, Asian, or Native American descent, practice racism against Whites?

The question would seem very unlikely to me, except that I've now and then heard people assert that it is impossible for a person who is a racial minority to practice racism because racism somehow requires that one be of the majority or dominant group in a given society.

However, I myself think the best definition of "racism" (so far as I'm concerned) allows for the possibility that anyone, regardless of race, might practice racism. That is, as I define it, racism is the conceptual reduction of a person or group of people to no more than their race. Thus, everything a person might be, in the fullest sense of those words, is seen through the lens of racism as of at least secondary importance to that one thing -- their race.

So, do how do you define racism? And can a anyone be racist according to your definition of the term, or is it impossible for some people to be racist?
Anyone can be a racist. For example someone who is a minority can become racist if they are treated poorly by the majority. Racism creates racism, so to speak. Theoretically at least.

Usually, I just tend to view racism as intolerance towards those of other "races", religions, ethnic groups or cultures. But I confess I might have a loose definition of it, lol.

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

Yes.

The question would seem very unlikely to me, except that I've now and then heard people assert that it is impossible for a person who is a racial minority to practice racism because racism somehow requires that one be of the majority or dominant group in a given society.

Racism by simple definition, is hate or disdain towards a person or group because of race. Any individual or group - majority, minority or otherwise can project such feelings and behavior.

However, I myself think the best definition of "racism" (so far as I'm concerned) allows for the possibility that anyone, regardless of race, might practice racism. That is, as I define it, racism is the conceptual reduction of a person or group of people to no more than their race. Thus, everything a person might be, in the fullest sense of those words, is seen through the lens of racism as of at least secondary importance to that one thing -- their race.

I agree with you.

Although, I do think that when it comes to the topic of racism, we need to be careful and pay attention to circumstance, try to understand people and their mindsets - their dynamic with others and viewpoint. It's quite easy to inaccurately label an individual a racist, just as it is to overlook or undermine a racist's actions.

So, do how do you define racism? And can a anyone be racist according to your definition of the term, or is it impossible for some people to be racist?

Much as you do. Anyone can be racist.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
“Racism” must include the ability of one group to subjugate another, and since black people have never had the social, economic or political power to subjugate white people, they cannot be racist, by definition.

Incorrect. You don't get to pull your own definition out of your ***. Racism is simply defined as a prejudice toward a race, so I'm afraid we must dismiss your double standard rubbish.

Wherenextcolumbus

Racism is prejudice plus privilege, and only whites have privilege being the "dominant" racial group by numbers and by political clout in the USA. Other races might be prejudiced, but in the case of say African-Americans much of this prejudice is motivated by fear and mistrust of the system than true racial hatred. Moreover, African-Americans generally do not look down on whites with contempt or as if they were unworthy, while it goes without saying that many whites do view blacks as being inferior (even if subconsciously).

In order to truly understand racism, we need to understand how privilege and power operate in a society like America's. “Racism” must include the ability of one group to subjugate another, and since black people have never had the social, economic or political power to subjugate white people, they cannot be racist, by definition.

Yeah I know that some people prefer to separate individual prejudices and the phrase "racial discrimination" from the word "racism", because racism is a system of oppression. I'm cool with that. I don't view it as a double standard.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Anyone can be racist.

I think it is naïve and even downright dangerous for people to think that some people cannot be racist: for example, minorities cannot be racist against the majority, or of someone discriminating against his or her own ethnic group is not racism.

I have been the victim of minority-against-majority racial discrimination, and unfortunately here it is ignored, and even okayed, even if you are in the minority in that area or place.

I speak from experience and from others who have also complained about racism, only to be shrugged at. Sometimes, complaints of racism from what is essentially a 'non-White' can result in ridicule or verbal abuse, or even accusations that the 'White' person is racist and trying to cause trouble and/or did something to upset the 'non-White' to deserve it.

Yeah. I've heard that crap.

Alceste

Vagabond
if you include all racial preferences every one is probably racist to a greater or lesser degree.

I think everyone's xenophobic to some degree, but we have much influence over how we process and manifest our subconscious xenophobia. It doesn't have to manifest as racism.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Yes any one can be racist.

I define it as a person that discounts a specific group of people because they all share a similar trait or traits that they can not change without outside interaction. These traits have no connection to the discounts given to the people.

Alceste

Vagabond
Yes any one can be racist.

I define it as a person that discounts a specific group of people because they all share a similar trait or traits that they can not change without outside interaction. These traits have no connection to the discounts given to the people.

That's a bigot to me. I think to be a racist you have to believe in race. I don't, so I can never be a racist, much like I can never be a theist. I have to content myself with being a bigot. I confess, I'm not overly fond of bankers. :p

FranklinMichaelV.3

I don't think minorities (in America) can actually be racists. They can certainly hate other people (particularly white people), but being racist against them? Idk.

Racism is about feeling superior to another group because of your race. And In America, well whites are in general the ones in charge. So you can't as a minority practice racism against a white in America.

Again though that doesn't mean you can't hate white people, or think negatively about them, but it just doesn't do anything.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I've known racists of every race and to every degree, and I've even known people of every race who have deluded themselves into thinking they're completely free from racism - I've even known a scant few who seemed like they actually were.

FranklinMichaelV.3

I've known racists of every race and to every degree, and I've even known people of every race who have deluded themselves into thinking they're completely free from racism - I've even known a scant few who seemed like they actually were.

I guess when I look at Racism I look at it as a social infrastructure thing, and not so much an individual on individual case.

In so much that racist actions only occur because the person believes they have the foundation of society to back them up in their action.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I don't think minorities (in America) can actually be racists. They can certainly hate other people (particularly white people), but being racist against them? Idk.

Racism is about feeling superior to another group because of your race. And In America, well whites are in general the ones in charge. So you can't as a minority practice racism against a white in America.

Again though that doesn't mean you can't hate white people, or think negatively about them, but it just doesn't do anything.

So, say, a white person can't experience racism in America at all? Not walking through say...Harlem? Or South Central? Or in numerous other places where minorities are actually the majority because as a whole whites are the majority in the country? Is that your argument? That it is impossible for people that fall into minority groups to express racism?

FranklinMichaelV.3

So, say, a white person can't experience racism in America at all? Not walking through say...Harlem? Or South Central? Or in numerous other places where minorities are actually the majority because as a whole whites are the majority in the country? Is that your argument? That it is impossible for people that fall into minority groups to express racism?

Well again it's a difference of how I look at Racism.

I guess they can be denied access to the stores and followed around? Is that what you are going for? Is that because Whites are inferior though or is it because they just have an intense dislike for whites?

Because to me racism doesn't always have to do with hatred.

In the social context ladder I don't think it works like that. Doesn't mean that Minorities can't express hatred of the other groups. But practice racism as an institution I don't think they have the power too.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well again it's a difference of how I look at Racism.

I guess they can be denied access to the stores and followed around? Is that what you are going for? Is that because Whites are inferior though or is it because they just have an intense dislike for whites?

Because to me racism doesn't always have to do with hatred.

In the social context ladder I don't think it works like that. Doesn't mean that Minorities can't express hatred of the other groups. But practice racism as an institution I don't think they have the power too.

It seems you're talking about supremacy or something. The belief in one supreme race. That's what you believe racism is? It appears you do seem to define it entirely different than everyone else.