• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anyone translate these Runes for me?

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Runes.jpg

I tried and didn't do so well. Thanks for the help.
(I wasn't sure where else to post this and thought here wouldn't be too far out of line as the subject matter is Thor and Runes.)
SaintJayne

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I tried really hard. If it were in Elder Futhark runes I could've done it no problem.

thur uiki thisi h_m_r

This is what I got out of it. I'd say it is a Norwegian Futhark. I couldn't tell what the characters between the h and m, and the m and r were though, I'm not familiar with them. Of course I could have the Futhark wrong and have gotten completely wrong words out of it :p

As to what it means, I am not sure. I'm no expert on old Norse. I hope I helped you a little

Last edited:

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Thank you for your reply. That was about where I was at in the translation as well. I think the runes in the "_" position translates into "æ" as I think it is the Scandinavian version of the younger futhark. (Based a lot in part of the "æ" rune.) Not sure if they were trying for transliteration or if it was suppose to be 10th century Scandinavian, if Scandinavian it is.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
If the runes are taken literally, it seems something like: "Joy, cattle, ride: Cattle, ice, (something), ice: Thorn, Ice, Sun, Ice: Eel, (something), elk-sedge, (something), ride."

This is from looking on Wiki Anglo-Saxon runes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It reminds me of some of the Norse poetry associated with them: The Rune Poems

I'm no Rune scholar, but thought I'd help. :) Gentoo may be able to help more. I'll alert her to the thread when I talk to her.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
From what I can tell, they're Danish futhark: click! and says: thur uiki thisi hamar. The A's don't match up perfectly from the picture in the OP, but everything else matches.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
From what I can tell, they're Danish futhark: click! and says: thur uiki thisi hamar. The A's don't match up perfectly from the picture in the OP, but everything else matches.

And I'd have to say from just looking at the words that it's gotta do with Thor's Hammer. Just a wild guess though