• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can I be a Buddhist without believing in karma?

Leandro Piva

The Inquirer
Greetings;

The title says it all. I identify myself with the thoughts of the Buddha, believe in the concept of rebirth, like to meditate and everything, but I just cannot believe that there is a universal law that punishes bad people and rewards the good ones. It sounds too much Christian to me.

Well, that's all. Thanks for listening!

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Maybe you should consider whether that reading of Karma is accurate? I wouldn't say I believe in quite that wording, either.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
When I practiced Buddhism, I never viewed karma akin to a cosmic judge. I viewed it more like naturalistic cause and effect.

So, yes, I think it's quite possible.

von bek

Karma is a fundamental part of the Buddha's teachings. What you described is not what the Buddha teaches. Karma is every intentional thought, word, and deed. In other words, karma is what you do both mentally and physically. Plus, there is no self that does good or bad deeds and then must be punished. Actions set in motion reactions. These reactions ripen when the time is ripe in either the present life or future rebirths. No matter where we end up, it is not an outside force that sends us there, our own Mind does.

Here is a link that goes into detail on the subject of karma in Buddhism:
Basic Buddhism: The Theory of Karma

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Karma is central to the Buddha's teachings, but the definition above is a bit off. The Buddha defined karma thus:

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect."

Nibbedhika Sutta (AN 6.63)

Karma is rooted in one's intentions. Wholesome and unwholesome intentions manifest themselves in thought (mental states), action (bodily deeds), and speech (verbal exchange). One's intentions naturally set the stage for one's experiences. If one's intentions are rooted in anger, revenge, hatred or other negative states, then suffering will follow. If one's intentions are rooted in compassion and other positive states, then happiness will follow. Karma is the seed of intention.

It's common to confuse karma with the results of karma. Karma refers to actions of a volitional nature. All actions give rise to reactions. The distinction between karma (action) and vipaka (reaction) is an important one. One's volitional actions (karma) of body, speech, and mind will have their corresponding results (vipaka). Karma is not a cosmic rewards/punishments system, but instead the natural expression of cause and effect, action and reaction.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I dont think there's much else for me to add. Like they said, karma refers to our actions which produce cause-and-effect results.

It makes sense that thinking and doing things in certain ways effects the way we think and feel. A good, small example is how thinking pessimistically for a while will eventually make pessamistic, negative feelings our default state and we have to work harder to feel positive and good. It's a bit like feedback on that level.