• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can pagans unite?

One of the problems with someone interested in pagan religions is the diversity of terms describing all of the different types of faith. In one aspect the diversity of the pagan religions is one of its best strength along with that pagan religions are tolerant. I would not want this to change but in a world with such intolerant religions [*edit*] it would be a benefit to for pagans to have some form of unity to help anyone interested in the faith or to keep the faith from termination by intolerant religions. How can pagan religion unite without losing their individuality.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Well, because paganism is such a broad umbrella term and it encompasses many differently beliefs and views, it is really difficult to "unite" per say. That on top of the fact that we have no central "governing body" due to this multitude of different view points, also makes us harder to be considered an established religion. The best way to make sure paganism is never forgotten or stamped out, is to ensure that we never stop fighting for recognition.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
One of the problems with someone interested in pagan religions is the diversity of terms describing all of the different types of faith. In one aspect the diversity of the pagan religions is one of its best strength along with that pagan religions are tolerant. I would not want this to change but in a world with such intolerant religions [*edit*] it would be a benefit to for pagans to have some form of unity to help anyone interested in the faith or to keep the faith from termination by intolerant religions. How can pagan religion unite without losing their individuality.

The right kind of organization to represent the varied pagan groups is needed--and is quite possible. Think of organizations such as a Chamber of Commerce, a manufacturers or other trade association, or even a group such as the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). Members do not give up their autonomy or individuality, but contribute to their common interest by creating an entity to protect their common interests and support each other, and represent themselves in court, in the legislature and with elected officials, and in the media. The solution to this dis-unity of religious belief and practice is to create a political/social organization that doesn't have to speak to the religious aspects, except to assert freedom, diversity and toleration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to confess it befuddles me why unity is such a challenging concept for some. It seems some find it challenging because it is understood in opposition to or conflicting with individuality. False dichotomy. Human beings have formed groups and gotten along with each other since our species existed and still remained individual people. We're not Borg, where your identification with a group magically erases all individuality. Nonsense. All groups are composed of individuals, and being in a group does not intrinsically require a compromise of individual diversity. Only if a group is intolerant and doesn't value pluralism or diversity does that become an issue. Pluralism is a contemporary Pagan value, so I don't see the problem. We can and have rallied behind causes relating to our right and freedom of religion on multiple occasions, often spearheaded by Circle Sanctuary and leaders like McCollum. Never mind our participation in various interfaith movements, including but not limited to the Parliament of World Religions. Nope, I don't really see a problem at all. :shrug:

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I wish there was some sort of recognition in the US military for Pagans (other then Wiccan), there really is no religious support for us (No pagan/wiccan Clergy members). It really is a shame. It is the biggest reason I am still a solitary practitioner. I have no ability to join a group and participate in rituals or anything like that due to being gone and out of the US for the better part of the last 5 years.
And even then, Paganism is still not understood or really recognized by the majority of members in the military.
A uniting body could help this, by ordaining and providing clergy to the Military. But the military fights hard, within the legal frame work of course, to ensure that this cannot happen.

The reason is asked about uniting pagan religions is not to have everyone believe the same thing but to help in overcoming 2000 years of propaganda from Christian religions. Anyone interested in a pagan religion is first met with the incredible diversity of practice. The second is the negative reaction to others religions have towards pagan terms. There is no reason that pagans can communicate and appreciate the differences while improving ways for others to learn about pagan theologies.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I think familiarizing yourself with the accomplishments of the US civil rights movement, women's rights movement, the sexual orientation rights movement...etc., etc., would suggest some of the strategies and tactics that minorities have and can use to claim and protect their rights, at least in the US system.

And, I think forums such as this are helpful, in terms of pagans finding support from each other and others who are tolerant, and helping those who know nothing about paganism learn something.