• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Santa Claus be classified as a God or Pagan God

herushura

God has many songs written in His praise, called hymns. Santa has plenty of songs of praise, but they're called carols instead.

A child knows nothing of his beginning. To a child, Santa has just always existed.
Eternal God thing

Tradition holds that Santa Claus lives at the North Pole, a place ABOVE the rest of us. Like God Living Above (heaven)

Can Santa Clause be Classified like a God as in yahwah or like a pagan god like Saturn/Horus/Neptune.

Santa-Satan ??
Claus-Lucas ??

Why does Santa come out on 25th december, is this to do with Birth of Christ or Soltices. or is Santa a charactor associated with saturnlia.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
How about that a jolly old man with a beard that wears a stupid red suit with fur and plays with elves.....:D And since he has flying reindeer I think he is a Pagan God

Jehonadab

How about that a jolly old man with a beard that wears a stupid red suit with fur and plays with elves.....:D And since he has flying reindeer I think he is a Pagan God

The date of December 25th was chosen because of Saturnalia, many of the things done for that Roman holiday are still part of Christmas. Is Sanat Claus a god? He could be to some people, some children belive that he will make everything okay and give their families something they need to make it through rough times....

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
As I said in another thread, Santa Claus is based on a real person who lived long ago named Nicholas of Myra, regarded as a saint by many Christians.
Saint Nicholas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Santa = Saint (Spanish)
Claus = derivative of Nicholas

I think the closest god that fits his description would be Bacchus. After all, Yeh'vah is wise, Santa is jolly. To a child Santa could bear the God-icon, certainly.

Last edited:

herushura

As I said in another thread, Santa Claus is based on a real person who lived long ago named Nicholas of Myra, regarded as a saint by many Christians.
Saint Nicholas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Santa = Saint (Spanish)
Claus = derivative of Nicholas

I think the closest god that fits his description would be Bacchus. After all, Yeh'vah is wise, Santa is jolly. To a child Santa could bear the God-icon, certainly.

His Name may be based on Saint Nicholas but his Charactor is definitly not.
Odin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
We can think of Santa Claus as a Spirit of Giving- Not a real spirit just an idea that makes people want to go out and do nice things for people with no reward back. :)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

From that very page...

He is associated with wisdom, war, battle, and death, and also magic, poetry, prophecy, victory, and the hunt.

The only attribute from that list that can apply to Santa Claus is magic. He is described as being jolly and rather goofy(look at the various Santa stories from pop songs); anything but warlike, poetic, or prophetic, and certainly not interested in hunting, "victory" (no war being fought), or death.

And the name of Santa Claus in the original poem Night Before Christmas was, you guessed it, Saint Nick. As far as I'm aware, that was the poem that really solidified the Santa Claus mythology. I know he was in folklore around the world in various forms before that, but that was really what set the modern image and mythology of the fat white-bearded man in red riding a sleigh drawn by flying reindeer during Christmas Eve night delivering presents to good children. Since then, primarily in pop songs from the 50s and 60s, the mythology has been added upon and expanded into a full story; Odin might have some resemblance of him, but the Germanic King God had no intentional influence on the original mythology as far as I'm aware. (I did an F3 word search on that wikipedia page just to be sure... Santa Claus isn't mentioned in the page AT ALL)

d.

_______

you mean the beard? what?

i don't see much of a connection between the wild hunt and modern christmas. or odin's personality and santas. btw, this is what we have in sweden :

Tomte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i don't think 'gods' is a fitting term for creatures like the tomte, faerie or similar. they're seen more as coexisting creatures with supernatural powers; the little people, the otherpeople, the invisible people. as for santa, perhaps the japanese concept of kami comes closer.