• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Christian Churches ever Reunite?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Can the Christian Churches ever Reunite.
There have been some forceful arguments recently from a number of our members, showing how the Beliefs of their Churches can not be changed.
To Reunite Some of these Beliefs must change. So does that mean we shall never Unite.

Terry

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Do you mean reunite under one big name and everyone believe exactly the same? No, I don't thing that will ever happen. But what could happen is not only all the Christian denominations and sects unite, but all religions come together and recognize that even though we all may believe differently, we're all searching for the same goals. That should we should stop fighting over differences and be peaceful in the name of what we have in common.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
Do you mean reunite under one big name and everyone believe exactly the same? No, I don't thing that will ever happen. But what could happen is not only all the Christian denominations and sects unite, but all religions come together and recognize that even though we all may believe differently, we're all searching for the same goals. That should we should stop fighting over differences and be peaceful in the name of what we have in common.
I tend to agree with Maize - sad as it is, some of the differences, that seem to mean so much to some, are actually beyond my understanding; I dare say that's because I am not as educated as those who have these problems- but it sounds very sad to me.:(

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I think I mean sufficiently United to be able to share Communion with each other.
I know quit a few churches can But they are all what I would call low churches.

Terry

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Terrywoodenpic said:
I think I mean sufficiently United to be able to share Communion with each other.

Terry
Well, my church does not have a Communion ceremony, so I can't help you there. I think if people would see they have more in common than different, there would be no reason why they couldn't share Communion with each other. What do you mean by "low" churches? Lower profile?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:

Terry

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Sorry ! To a Church of england person Low churches are so well known we think everyone uses the term. To us a High Church practices its services and has beliefs almost identical to the Catholic Church. Low churches mostly wear simple vestments and have more informal services. such as methodists congregational and baptists. some but not all start communion with words such as "all who love the lord......" as they don't have confirmation and any one is welcome. The low church of england will allow any visitor to take communion who normally takes it in their own church.

Terry

Sabio

Terrywoodenpic said:
Can the Christian Churches ever Reunite.
There have been some forceful arguments recently from a number of our members, showing how the Beliefs of their Churches can not be changed.
To Reunite Some of these Beliefs must change. So does that mean we shall never Unite.

Terry

Sabio

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
The list of "essentials" are different for all churches. Unless you discuss with charity and an open heart and mind, I don't expect it soon or at all.

~Victor

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i dont think the churches wil unite - my church is a vineyard church, its very layed back in terms of regulation and ceremony, and soem of its views are middle ground

i dont like the idea of following a pope, so i wouldn't unite with the catholic church, however that doesn't mean i will never agree with some of their views

i think that in time the churchs will learn to communicate and dsicuss difference of views, and yes acceptance of fellow followers of christ - i will never deny the validity of another faith or another denomination of faith

but i think that some of the differences in views wil not be slackend off by either denomination

views in my church are very different on some issues, if people in my denomination cannt agree on a standpoint, how are we to agree with a different denomination on the issue

but we all believe in christ, and we should all bear that in mind

DreamQuickBook

Sabio said:
All of the churches will unite, when the Antichrist is revealed and seduces them into an "anything goes in the name of peace religion".

Sabio

Oh boy! I can't wait for that! lol There is never an antichrist around when you need one though. :mad:

Chances are, the only people that will truly hate the anti-Christ will be Satanists, who simply HATE conformity and herds. *yuck*

Maize said:
You are talking about the Ecuminical Movement. That is when churches of different denominations get together in one big we arethe world session. I believe that it will not happen because it just won't.

If any of you would like an outside view on the matter I can throw in my some of my thoughts into the discussion. I think part of reason christianity is this broken up now, because the Church at the outset was founded with dogmatic beliefs. When Martin Luther declared that the teachings of the Church weren't true it created an irreconcialbe divide between two groups whose members had to believe their way was the only one for salvation and they had to believe the other belief was false. This kind of mentality is possibly what drove groups to break up even further and sometimes violently. It leaves me to wonder what kind of beliefs would be held by christians if Rome had never become a christian empire.

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
Maize said:
Well, my church does not have a Communion ceremony, so I can't help you there. I think if people would see they have more in common than different, there would be no reason why they couldn't share Communion with each other. What do you mean by "low" churches? Lower profile?
Anglicans and Catholics could never share communion.

Anglicans believe the bread and wine is symbolic of christs body and blood.

Catholics believe that the bread and the wine is literally christs body and blood.

Whilst everyone correctly says that all Christian denominations have common goals, it should not be forgotten that there are very real differences between the churches. Hence, I doubt they will ever unite...

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
Jocose said:
Oh boy! I can't wait for that! lol There is never an antichrist around when you need one though. :mad:

Chances are, the only people that will truly hate the anti-Christ will be Satanists, who simply HATE conformity and herds. *yuck*
Yeah, screw the anti-crhist!

Sabio

Jocose said:

The problem is that you won't recognize the antichrist when he comes. He will be a great statesman to the politically minded, a peacemaker to those who seek an end to war, the seeming fulfillment of the messiah to the Jews. You say yuk now, but you and the world will embrace him when he appears...

Sabio

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
Sorry ! To a Church of england person Low churches are so well known we think everyone uses the term. To us a High Church practices its services and has beliefs almost identical to the Catholic Church. Low churches mostly wear simple vestments and have more informal services. such as methodists congregational and baptists. some but not all start communion with words such as "all who love the lord......" as they don't have confirmation and any one is welcome. The low church of england will allow any visitor to take communion who normally takes it in their own church.

Terry

jonny

Is it bad to say that I don't really want to unite with the other churches? It would be nice if everyone believed the same thing, but it would also be very boring. My beliefs make me happy, give me a purpose in life, and give me something to look forward to in the next life. I'm not saying that another belief couldn't fulfill these needs, but what I believe now makes the most sense to me and I don't want to change my beliefs.

How would the churches unite? Would all the leaders get together and debate the doctrine, take a vote, and then tell all christians that this is now what you believe? Unfortunately, I don't think that God reveals truth in such a democratic way and most christians don't like being told what to believe by leaders of other faiths.

What I do believe is that all christian churches should be united in purpose, and if you take out all of the doctrinal differences, most of them are united in this way.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it bad to say that I don't really want to unite with the other churches?
Biblically? Yes.

Would all the leaders get together and debate the doctrine, take a vote, and then tell all christians that this is now what you believe?
Well that is how we did it in the past :D

Unfortunately, I don't think that God reveals truth in such a democratic way and most christians don't like being told what to believe by leaders of other faiths.
I agree to some extent, however I would not limit the Lord ability to reveal. I believe that the canon which was agreed upon had the help of the Lord.