• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can the fruits of karma be seen as a test?

I was wondering, can the 'fruits of karma' in buddhism, be seen as a moral test? i.e. could the fruit of committing adultery come around in the next existence as a chance at committing adultery, plus the punishment thereof, or is it more, the karma of adultery is most likely to be having a spouse commit adultery on oneself?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I was wondering, can the 'fruits of karma' in buddhism, be seen as a moral test? i.e. could the fruit of committing adultery come around in the next existence as a chance at committing adultery, plus the punishment thereof, or is it more, the karma of adultery is most likely to be having a spouse commit adultery on oneself?
In the naive philosophy of karma, all things, are theoretically possible.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Karma doesn't have a purpose. I must agree with Ymir that it is naive to expect it to aim for specific results.

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
While the exact fruit of a single intentional thought or word or deed is only known to high bodhisattvas or buddhas, the general effects are known and aimed for.

Much killing with hatred in thought, word & deed, leads to a lot of illness and a shortened life or hellish existence. The opposite intention of harmlessness and saving lives brings longevity and good health.

Same idea with stealing, sexual misconduct, lying etc.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Lessons learned Maybe? Maybe not.

MonkeyFire

What I know is one must be passive to hell and the entire thing will suffer, and if its passive to Heaven it and everyone in it will enjoy its self. On the other hand with temptation, or eye for an eye, consequences given, are consequences taken.

Last edited: