• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic aid agency advocates condoms

Pah

Uber all member
This thread would also be appropiate in General Debates but since it is church teaching and a church affiliated agency speaking, I decided to place it here.

The complete article at Guardian Unlimited

Catholic aid agency advocates condoms

Cafod admits it ignores simplistic solutions in fight against Aids

Stephen Bates, religious affairs correspondent
Friday September 24, 2004
The Guardian

Cafod, the Catholic aid agency, has admitted that it ignores "oversimplistic" solutions such as the Vatican's prohibition on the use of condoms when advising those at risk of contracting HIV/Aids in the developing world.
An article by Ann Smith, the charity's HIV corporate strategist, in today's issue of the Catholic magazine The Tablet suggests that the church's insistence on abstinence as the only protection from infection is unrealistic.

"Because too often they fail to take in the wider picture, simplistic prevention strategies are doomed to failure, even in the short term," she wrote. "Such failure will persuade policy makers that prevention does not work and that scarce resources should be diverted instead to care and treatment initiatives - a costly conclusion and not just in economic terms. ...

-pah-

Anti-World

That's amusing. I thought people went to Hell for having sex out of marriage in the Catholic church... Does that mean AIDs is more dangerous than Hell? That is really really amusing.

blackout

Violet.
People go to hell for having sex out of marriage and then failing to confess that sin before dying.

People who BELIEVE they will go to hell for having sex out of marriage
and then failing to confess that sin before dying...

may possibly ACTUALize that reality of

going to hell for having sex out of marriage and then failing to confess that sin before dying...
if that is what they themselves do... because that is THEIR OWN reality belief agreement...
contracted in their own heart and mind.
(where things are actualized and realized)

it is a concept they bought into and agreed to
when innitating themselves into that belief system.

No one is bound by that belief system
or it's repricussions,
except the people who have bound themselves to it by choice.

imho

Francine

No one is bound by that belief system
or it's repricussions, except the people who have bound themselves to it by choice.

"Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption." -- Paul of Tarsus

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
People go to hell for having sex out of marriage and then failing to confess that sin before dying.

Do people ever go to hell for advocating an anti-condom policy that contributes to the deaths of millions of Africans from AIDS?

blackout

Violet.
Yes I know Francine.

All of us who don't do your confessional ritual are corrupt.
Too bad for us then I guess. :shrug:

I for one have ALREADY inherited the "kingdom".
The kingdom now, the kingdom within,
(to use Y'shua's/biblical terminology)
So for me, it's all hoey.

PS... I would prefer YOUR answer to a scripture quote.
After all they are YOUR scriptures. Not mine.
So what does it prove?

Smoke

Done here.
That's amusing. I thought people went to Hell for having sex out of marriage in the Catholic church... Does that mean AIDs is more dangerous than Hell? That is really really amusing.
If a Catholic aid agency has found the stones to do the right thing in defiance of its own church hierarchy, then by all means, let's commend that agency instead of mocking it for hypocrisy. There's no moral failing in refusing to uphold a stupid and harmful rule.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If a Catholic aid agency has found the stones to do the right thing in defiance of its own church hierarchy, then by all means, let's commend that agency instead of mocking it for hypocrisy. There's no moral failing in refusing to uphold a stupid and harmful rule.

Hear! Hear!

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Do people ever go to hell for advocating an anti-condom policy that contributes to the deaths of millions of Africans from AIDS?
Does the Catholic Church's anti-condom policy contribute to the deaths of millions of Africans from AIDS?