• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chanting in Zen

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
My Sen-Sei never presented anything resembling chanting to me, nor have I ever felt the inclination to chant.

I know that many Zen schools chant.

My question is: what does chanting do in the context of Zen?

Thank you.
**listening intently**

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Even though I am not Nichiren, this is totally mesmerizing and brings me mindfulness. Though I see nothing wrong with chanting it, because the Lotus Sutra is basic to Mahāyāna. I use the melody and rhythm to chant nembutsu. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad4hN3FbwFo

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Ahh, so it's a "clean your bowl" sort of practice to develop mindfulness? So I can just keep on doing my "mop the floor and wash the dishes" meditations instead of having to sit and chant? kewl. :cool:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
It depends on what school and even teacher you ask. Some use chanting as a form of meditation. It's also used as a preliminary to meditation, to prepare the mind. Some use it as a religious rite. Some see it as a combination of all of the above.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I forgot to mention that in Pure Land, nembutsu, repetition of Amitābha's name with attention on Amitābha and Sukhāvatī is meditation.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's interesting. All I've ever known of Zen is that it is highly meditative, and the use of koans. My impression may not even be right. Nichiren is also pretty much based in chanting meditation, gongyō, but that's more involved than nianfo/nembutsu. I'm lazy and have come to dislike ritual, so nianfo is right up my alley. :D

I really should also learn to recite the Pure Land Rebirth Dhāraṇī:

namo amitābhāya tathāgatāya tadyathā
amṛtabhave amṛtasaṃbhave
amṛtavikrānte amṛtavikrāntagāmini
gagana kīrtīchare svāhā

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
That's interesting. All I've ever known of Zen is that it is highly meditative, and the use of koans. My impression may not even be right. Nichiren is also pretty much based in chanting meditation, gongyō, but that's more involved than nianfo/nembutsu. I'm lazy and have come to dislike ritual, so nianfo is right up my alley. :D

I really should also learn to recite the Pure Land Rebirth Dhāraṇī:

namo amitābhāya tathāgatāya tadyathā
amṛtabhave amṛtasaṃbhave
amṛtavikrānte amṛtavikrāntagāmini
gagana kīrtīchare svāhā

Meditation is the primary practice. But chanting was always a big part of Zen, until it reached Japan, where it was downplayed. But check out Korean Zen, it has more chanting than any other school of Zen.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks.

So what is the primary focus of meditation in Zen? I've always been curious. Is it for insight into oneself? For me, meditation is contemplation, introspection, anytime, anywhere my mind latches onto a thought to explore. And I've had some humdinger revelations. So, I rarely set aside a time or place for sitting meditation. I wouldn't know what to do in zazen.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Thanks.

So what is the primary focus of meditation in Zen? I've always been curious. Is it for insight into oneself? For me, meditation is contemplation, introspection, anytime, anywhere my mind latches onto a thought to explore. And I've had some humdinger revelations. So, I rarely set aside a time or place for sitting meditation. I wouldn't know what to do in zazen.

You could ask 100 Zen teachers what the point of zazen is, and get 150 different answers. For me, it's about experiencing sunyata/anatta, and realizing Buddha-nature. But I carry my koan without me throughout the day, as a way to keep my mind in a meditative state.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
In the Japanese Sōtō Zen Sanghas I've been a member of, chanting has been a part of every single service and retreat. The Sensei or Rōshi‎ has always included it as a means of settling into zazen, bridging the separation between sittings, or emerging from zazen. It helps weave mindfulness into every facet of life, which Zen also accomplishes through samu (work practice), oryoki (mindful eating), and other continuations of meditation throughout the entire day.

At my most recent sesshin, we chanted "Kaikyoge" (Sutra Opening) and "Shigusei Ganmon" (The Four Great Vows / Bodhisattva Vows). Every week, we chant the Heart Sutra. At previous Zen Sanghas I attended before moving, we've chanted the concluding lines of the Diamond Sutra, "Enmei Jikku Kannon Gyo," the refuges, and other verses.

Despite an initial resistance to chanting many years ago, I now find it to be a profoundly useful tool for imbuing the entire being with mindfulness even outside of shikantaza.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, gotcha... the 100/150 makes sense. It's funny because most of my meditaions lately have been on sunyata, dependent origin, anatta, etc. Those are among the humdinger revelations (or rather, change in belief) I've experienced. So I guess I wasn't too far off. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In the Japanese Sōtō Zen Sanghas I've been a member of, chanting has been a part of every single service and retreat. The Sensei or Rōshi‎ has always included it as a means of settling into zazen, bridging the separation between sittings, or emerging from zazen. It helps weave mindfulness into every facet of life, which Zen also accomplishes through samu (work practice), oryoki (mindful eating), and other continuations of meditation throughout the entire day.

At my most recent sesshin, we chanted "Kaikyoge" (Sutra Opening) and "Shigusei Ganmon" (The Four Great Vows / Bodhisattva Vows). Every week, we chant the Heart Sutra. At previous Zen Sanghas I attended before moving, we've chanted the concluding lines of the Diamond Sutra, "Enmei Jikku Kannon Gyo," the refuges, and other verses.

Despite an initial resistance to chanting many years ago, I now find it to be a profoundly useful tool for imbuing the entire being with mindfulness even outside of shikantaza.

Good answer. I suspect the last part holds a "key" as to the role of chanting. It feels rather silly at first. Like prostration.

Vishvavajra

Chinese chanting in particular is melodic/harmonic, with individual chanters dynamically shifting between various notes that all harmonize because they're part of the same arpeggio. Chanters also have to stagger their breaths so that they're not all breathing at the same time. It actually requires that the chanters pay very diligent attention to what they're doing and also to what everyone else is doing. You have no choice but to be present. At the same time, the sound that it creates suggests something much greater than what any individual would be capable of, and you feel swept up in this grand song that you feel joy at being a part of. In other words, it's very much a microcosm of mindful existence.