• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child rapist/killer used as guinea pig for first time new drug combo for his execution.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think she's overstating her feelings. People often do that.

:rolleyes: You're welcome to present a coherent argument (for the first time), or you can continue with this nonsense.

I am still waiting for you to present something other than your opinion as to why life in prison is not revenge.

Of course, the best you have come up with thus far is that people do not really feel that life in prison is worse than death even when they say that they feel life in prison would be worse than death.

Poisonshady313

Cool, that's all I'm saying.

Nope, those are punishments to achieve a reasonable goal. Keeping someone in jail to protect society is necessary. Keeping them in jail long enough to hopefully learn a lesson is necessary. Giving out penalties for reckless driving works towards the goal of making the roads safer. They're not measures taken just to give someone a punishment equal to their crime, unlike the death penalty.

Removing someone from the gene pool so they may no longer, in any circumstance, wreak havoc upon society is necessary when that someone is guilty of a capital crime. We don't need overly compassionate governors commuting their sentences, or prisons letting them go to deal with an overpopulation problem, or paperwork mixups accidentally leading to their parole.

That being said... I provided a dictionary definition of the word revenge... and according to this defintion, the various other methods that you're saying are NOT revenge... are. If you're going to give your own special variety of understanding to what you think revenge means, then I cannot agree with you.

Indeed. I'm glad we're agreed that the death penalty is simply revenge, but the government has to use other methods that aren't simply revenge to keep order.

You're using a double standard, and I don't buy it.

A

angellous_evangellous

So much research, development & application work have been done
on killing people that you'd think we'd have it down pat by now.

Killing is easy.

Doing it under the scrutiny of lawyers is not.

But this is the issue: "The supplier of the previous drug refuses to sell it for use in executions"

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Sure, but that risk is small enough that it's not significant for these purposes.

Small, maybe, but still a risk. Suppose, God forbid, this guy gets out and it's your child that's raped and murdered. Someone that has done this and would probably do it again if the opportunity arises is not worth taking any chance, no matter how small.

A

angellous_evangellous

Small, maybe, but still a risk. Suppose, God forbid, this guy gets out and it's your child that's raped and murdered. Someone that has done this and would probably do it again if the opportunity arises is not worth taking any chance, no matter how small.

Yes, and this guy raped a three year old. That's too terrifying, perverse, and horrible for me to imagine.

I wouldn't have any compunction against shooting this guy in the back of the head and feeding him to the dogs. Or whatever, you'd have no protest from me.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Death is pretty much the worst punishment there can be.
I disagree.

I know you say right now that you'd rather death than life in prison, but faced with the situation in reality, I doubt you'd choose death. With life in prison, you still get to experience life and you still have the hope of being free some day.
I think she's overstating her feelings. People often do that.
So I'm not a true Scotsman?

Your post didn't really reply to anything I said, where I explained that your reasoning doesn't work for those that don't view the hierarchy of punishments the way you do. You just nullified my viewpoint by suggesting it doesn't really exist, instead of addressing it.

Spending decades and decades in prison would be terrible, at least as far as I'm concerned. There are risks of violence, sexual aggression, and the main fact that, if one has committed a crime where execution would even be on the table, then one would be in a maximum security prison with very little freedom. In that situation "get to experience life" is an overstatement. For particularly bad people, I've seen documentaries where they are housed in permanent solitary confinement, sitting in isolated cells 23 hours per day, and then are handcuffed and brought to an exercise room for an hour, and then handcuffed again and returned to their cell. Every day, forever. They never get to be free outside of a small room. That sounds insane.

Maybe death would be worse than that for you, but I'd certainly pick death over that. You're entitled to your view, as long as you don't assume others share that view. There's nothing scary about death as far as I'm concerned, unless the execution method is messed up.

Aquitaine

What if hes innocent :O

That's one of the main reasons why, deep down, I am mostly opposed to the Death Penalty.

I will admit though, when I hear of people like this who commit these horrendous crimes, the temporary lust for revenge kicks in.

But hey: I'm Human. :shrug:

averageJOE

zombie
I disagree.

So I'm not a true Scotsman?

Your post didn't really reply to anything I said, where I explained that your reasoning doesn't work for those that don't view the hierarchy of punishments the way you do. You just nullified my viewpoint by suggesting it doesn't really exist, instead of addressing it.

Spending decades and decades in prison would be terrible, at least as far as I'm concerned. There are risks of violence, sexual aggression, and the main fact that, if one has committed a crime where execution would even be on the table, then one would be in a maximum security prison with very little freedom. In that situation "get to experience life" is an overstatement. For particularly bad people, I've seen documentaries where they are housed in permanent solitary confinement, sitting in isolated cells 23 hours per day, and then are handcuffed and brought to an exercise room for an hour, and then handcuffed again and returned to their cell. Every day, forever. They never get to be free outside of a small room. That sounds insane.

Maybe death would be worse than that for you, but I'd certainly pick death over that. You're entitled to your view, as long as you don't assume others share that view. There's nothing scary about death as far as I'm concerned, unless the execution method is messed up.
But what I think you are underestimating is the fact that a lot of people adapt to the prison life pretty well. Some people actually prefer it. There are a few people in my Unit are Corrections Officers who have tons of stories to tell. Three square meals a day, a bed and a roof, showers, FREE medical treatment. And the really "smart" ones can get pretty much anything they want.

Aquitaine

But what I think you are underestimating is the fact that a lot of people adapt to the prison life pretty well. Some people actually prefer it. There are a few people in my Unit are Corrections Officers who have tons of stories to tell. Three square meals a day, a bed and a roof, showers, FREE medical treatment. And the really "smart" ones can get pretty much anything they want.

Shame we can provide that for our prisoners, but not for our vulnerable.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It depends on the type of prison. Some prisons have social elements, while other ones result in cruel isolation, having few or no other options for the consistently violent ones.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that death is better than life in prison. I'm saying for some people, it is.

People who had done evil are people.
Even if they don't deserve sympathies, they are still living people.
We must always remember that. And therefore, even if they are to be executed, it must be done in a kind manner.

Trampus

This guy should not be used as a guinea pig, whatever crime he has commited.

Life is still life till it passes on to the dark lord.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Guinea Pig" implies the drug's effects are poorly understood; that there is an experimental aspect to its usage.