• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child rapist/killer used as guinea pig for first time new drug combo for his execution.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
In light of the extreme severity of his crimes, there is understandably little remorse in regards to his personal comfort while undergoing execution.

Still, it does beg the question as to wither it is appropriate to try something "new" regarding executions. Do we really need "new " and or "improved " methodologies in light of whats already proven effective concerning this?

Imo if it's going to be done, stick with whats proven already. I wonder if it's rather draconian or somewhat compassionate depending on perspective to continually think of new ways in regards to killing a person effectively.

Thoughts?

In Ohio Execution, State Will Use Untried Drug Combo | TIME.com

My sympathies go the wrongly convicted.
Other than that, I couldn't care less to what happens to these criminals in the death row. Do as you please. I don't mind at all.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
It's not arbitrary. Locking up someone who is a danger to society accomplishes the goal of keeping society safe from them, which is all that's necessary. Going beyond what is necessary to give them a "punishment they deserve" would then be revenge.

Let me ask you though: How do you determine that they need to be jailed for life in all cases to keep society safe from them?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"Guinea Pig" implies the drug's effects are poorly understood; that there is an experimental aspect to its usage.
The key word is untried according to the sourcing, suggesting the effects of said individual drugs will do the trick of course, but unknown by what will happen with this particular combination. I understand your position on the term though. Im inclined this combination will suffice.

Uberpod

Last time I checked criminals are still human. No matter how evil and depraved their actions, this essential fact does not change. I do not believe it wise to make an effort to designate any portion of our race as subhuman or to treat them barbarically.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Last time I checked criminals are still human. No matter how evil and depraved their actions, this essential fact does not change. I do not believe it wise to make an effort to designate any portion of our race as subhuman or to treat them barbarically.

We are human by accident of birth, but that doesn't automatically assure us a place in humanity. There are certain parameters that must be met to be a part of humanity. Raping children is definitely not one of those parameters. The boundaries of humanity may be stretched and sometimes fuzzy, but there must be boundaries. If not we are simply animals with vocabularies.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Update. Looks like the new combo did not do so well. Seems it took him 15 minutes to die.

Im sure some would think justice is served by making his death agonizing and slow, and it's a little hard to argue the point in light of his crimes. Yet I still feel that if you are going to kill somebody, it should be done in a humane and expedited manner. Regardless of the crime. This type of execution to me does not reflect a humane society in light of this "experiment".

Update here...

Ohio execution: New drug protocol, but 15 minutes to die - latimes.com

Uberpod

We are human by accident of birth, but that doesn't automatically assure us a place in humanity. There are certain parameters that must be met to be a part of humanity.
Another such boundary might be killing a human that bears you (or anyone else) no danger.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A people who give the state the right to decide whether they live or die are no better than subjects. That is, they are not full citizens, but mere subjects, and no matter what pleasant delusions they might harbor in that regard.

freethinker44

If he is secured, he bears no risk, or at least not enough to off him, imho.

We, as a society, shouldn't have to bear the burden of caring for the security and well being of someone who cares nothing for ours and, in fact, actively tries to destroy it. That being said, I'm against the death penalty but not because I have compassion for those who are willing to demonstrate that they don't deserve to live, but because I am against that power being held by any government. I would put them in labor camps and force them to contribute something useful to society.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
We, as a society, shouldn't have to bear the burden of caring for the security and well being of someone who cares nothing for ours and, in fact, actively tries to destroy it. That being said, I'm against the death penalty but not because I have compassion for those who are willing to demonstrate that they don't deserve to live, but because I am against that power being held by any government. I would put them in labor camps and force them to contribute something useful to society.

Turning them over to a psychiatric hospital for research is another possible beneficial choice.