• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Childhood Rules for Grown-Ups

Draka

Wonder Woman
We teach our children to behave a certain way (or at least we use to or should) and then, magically, as adults, it seems those rules disappear. What rules from childhood do you remember having, or do you enforce on your children, do you think would make for excellent rules for adults to live by as well?

One from my childhood:
1) Show respect towards others (especially those elder or in position of authority to you): speak with respect using titles when appropriate and no backtalk.

Wirey

Fartist
2) If anyone lays a hand on your sisters, make them bleed. I'll make sure you don't get in trouble with the school.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
This ought to get people talking:

3) If you bring candy to class, you should share what you brought with everybody else. :p

Wirey

Fartist
4) Be very careful who you call 'friend', and even more careful where you put your pecker (actual avuncular advice).

Daemon Sophic

5. We only use force to defend ourselves, or to defend someone else who is being attacked.

This ought to get people talking:

3) If you bring candy to class, you should share what you brought with everybody else. :p
Sorry Mystic Sang'ha, but I read your text, and looking at your avatar...and I am....bemused.

Daemon Sophic

Eat your fruits and vegetables, or you're going to have more ouchie poopies like that last one.

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
It is appropriate to tell me if anyone is hurt or is likely to get hurt in any way, or if something might get damaged. If you are only telling me to see the other person look bad, or get in trouble, or to make you look good that you aren't doing that thing -- that is tattling. Don't tattle.

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Don't touch/take things that don't belong to you. (You have no idea how many times this is said in our house - my son is an "Oooohhhh SHINY kid")

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.
Don't mind other people's business.
Be respectful to your elders.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If you make a mess, clean it up.
If you need help cleaning your mess, ask someone.
If asked to help clean a mess, help.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Imaginary talking monkeys are real. Never trust any grown up who tells you they aren't.

NocLue

We teach our children to behave a certain way (or at least we use to or should) and then, magically, as adults, it seems those rules disappear. What rules from childhood do you remember having, or do you enforce on your children, do you think would make for excellent rules for adults to live by as well?

One from my childhood:
1) Show respect towards others (especially those elder or in position of authority to you): speak with respect using titles when appropriate and no backtalk.

I really have to think about that. But for now, I would like to focus on the "No Backtalk". So here is my question. If there is no backtalk from us to superiors, and from inferiors to us. And if they/we don't have a chance to point out what they/we feel is wrong in a specific situation. How are we going to improve as people?

badger

Hwít éoredmæcg
"Don't tell lies". (Then proceed to regale them with stories about this fat bloke who drives a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer and comes down your chimney once a year bearing gifts - but only if you've behaved yourself all year!)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Play nicely with others. Share. Don't hit people. Don't take what isn't yours. Always say 'please' and 'thank you'.

With this kind of influence it's no wonder I turned out a liberal do-gooder. :sarcastic