• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Children's stories"

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namasté,

I am particularly interested in stories in which Vishnu reveals himself to children, like Dhruva or Prahlada, or in the Part 2 of the Brhad Bhagavatamrta. Are there more stories you could recommend (other gods may qualify, too).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Markandeya is another story. The legend relates the story of how Shiva protected Markandeya from the clutches of death, personified as Yama.

"Mrikandu rishi and his wife Marudmati worshipped Shiva and sought from him the boon of begetting a son. As a result he was given the choice of either a gifted son, but with a short life on earth or a child of low intelligence but with a long life. Mrikandu rishi chose the former, and was blessed with Markandeya, an exemplary son, destined to die at the age of 16.

Markandeya grew up to be a great devotee of Shiva and on the day of his destined death he continued his worship of Shiva in his aniconic form of Shivalingam. The messengers of Yama, the god of death were unable to take away his life because of his great devotion and continual worship of Shiva. Yama then came in person to take away Markandeya's life, and sprung his noose around the young sage's neck. By accident or fate the noose mistakenly landed around the Shivalingam, and out of it, Shiva emerged in all his fury attacking Yama for his act of aggression. After defeating Yama in battle to the point of death, Shiva then revived him, under the condition that the devout youth would live forever. For this act, Shiva was thereafter known also as Kalantaka ("Ender of Death")." Markandeya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At that time Markandeya was chanting the "Mahamrityunjaya mantra"*, which has since become the mantra for Hindus in dire circumstances. Markandeya went on to write a purana.
* "Trayambakam yajāmahe sugandhim pushtivardhanam;
urvārukamiva bandhanān mrutyormukshiya māmratāt."

(We worship the Three-eyed Good Lord Shiva who nourishes and nurtures all beings. As the ripened cucumber (with the intervention of the gardener) is freed from its bondage (to the creeper), may he liberate us from death for the sake of immortality. 'Gandhim' means Shiva)

Markandeya.png
Markandeya hill in Maharashtra.png

Second image, Markandeya hill in Maharashtra

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are a whole lot of stories of Krishna saving children of Vraja from the various demons that Kamsa sent to kill Krishna, like Aghasura, Arishtasura, Vyomasura, etc.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You see, Sirona, Mrikandu's idea was simple. If the child was gifted, exceptional, intelligent, he would find a way out of any predicament. That is what exactly Markandeya did. He saw that Kāla (time) is controlled by Shiva, he started worshiping Shiva. And on the day when he was to die, he clung to the lingam. The rest as above. He became an immortal.

Last edited:

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
There are a whole lot of stories of Krishna saving children of Vraja from the various demons that Kamsa sent to kill Krishna, like Aghasura, Arishtasura, Vyomasura, etc.

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't thought of that. Guess I'll have to read my Krsna Book again. :)

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Here is a story for children of the Baby Hanuman.

At a time so long ago it is unimaginable, there was a Great Mother Monkey called Riksharaja. She was given by mystic grace two sons. Indra the God of Seventh Heaven blessed her with a son who was named Bali. And one day, after she performed Surya Namaskar to the morning sun rising in the East, the Sun God Surya came to a canopied banyan forest and, standing in the silver and golden strands of light piercing and dancing through the canopy, blessed her with a son named Sugriva.

Bali was elder to Sugriva, and he became the King of a Monkey Dynasty in India.

Sugriva thought Bali, who often shone with flashing light of his crown that had almost lightning bolts and made sounds even, did not have time for him as Bali was busy as Crowned Prince acting like a King even though Bali was not even a teen. Bali did not play with Sugriva much even though Sugriva, as a relation to Surya, enjoyed celebrations and parades and adventures and especially grand gatherings more in line with Bali's relation Lord Indra because Indra was so popular at such gatherings, and so Sugriva liked to emulate Indra's fame instead of Surya.

Surya noticed this.

Riksharaja, the Great Mother of the Monkeyland, thought that Sugriva should have a companion to play with. She knew the Wind God would help.

She went to the Wind God Vayu, who had come to the Monkeyland. She explained her wish, and asked Vayu to "give me one of your sons".

Vayu did not mind granting the Great Mother of Monkeys a boon. But Vayu did not want to upset Surya by making the Sun God think, "Oh, the Wind thinks I should have gifted the Monkey Mother two sons that day, but I was one short".

So instead of directly blessing the Monkey Mother with yet another son, he went and found a saintly woman named Anjana. And she was blessed but worried that others would tell lies about her nature having a son but trying to be a monk like bhikshu, so this saintly and beautiful Anjana hid the child in a cave far into the jungle.

This child was left alone, and though a very clever child, he did not like it. Anjana did not fear leaving him alone because this child was a monkey form and able for the jungle life. And very magical.

This child's name was Hanuman.

The next morning Hanuman without fear and a bit adventurous came out of the cave. Surya who brought the blessing of Sugriva to the Monkey Lady, was watching Hanuman.

Surya wanted to attract Hanuman to admire the Sun, perhaps this next son and future companion of Sugriva would bring, if you will, a little Sunshine into the Monkeyland even though a relation to the Wind God.

Each likes to have their devotees. What better devotee than Hanuman?

So the Sun's colour started to change to orange, and would quiver and pulse. Nearby a peacock noticed this and screamed loudly. All the animals of Shiva, who is the Lord of the Beasts, began to make sound.

The green parrot said, "The Gods have manifested as many forms on earth to help Rama defeat the King of the Rakshasas called Ravan the Ten Headed. This is no ordinary monkey. His features are different. I think this is a manifestation of Rudra."

Hanuman noticed the Sun, too. He made a loud howl sound, even though a child. He was magical. indeed.

"We worship Shiva, so today I will do worship to Mahadev. But first, I am hungry. Now watch me fly with the Wind to pick that orange in the sky!" ...

Surya didn't anticipate this.

Indeed, that moment Hanuman ascended in flight. Indra even noticed. But then a great lightening bolt shot off a rock tower in the jungle, then went straight up and was like a Lingam of Light to Shiva.

Hanuman, a bit afraid, said, "Today this Lingam will be my worship. But for now, let me go back into the cave and hide. I can grow bigger a bit later" ...

Soon Hanuman would come out of the cave again, to join with the other Monkeys and Sugriva. But first, the Wind God entered the cave, and brought fruits from the jungle which the baby Hanuman enjoyed with relish. He said to Hanuman, to think him as his Father.

"Where you go, I can take you with the Wind. Even into the sky," said Vayu.

Lord Brahma also came to that cave. "Your teacher is Saraswati, who is mine. You will speak many languages," Brahma told Hanuman.

The days of Hanuman would soon unfold under the Sun.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Where did you get this story from, Sirona? I think it needs some editing. First and foremost, the Great Monkey Mother cannot be named Riksharaja. Riksha is a bear, and Raja is king, therefore the word means 'King of bears', that is what Jambavanta was called in Ramayana. As for Bali, Sugriva, and Hanuman, let me do some research.

Jambavanta or Jambavana figures prominently in both Ramayana and Krishna's story as Jambavanti, his daughter, was one of the eight main queens of Krishna. Jambavana gave the jewel 'Syamantaka' to Lord Krishna.

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
This isn't a story from Sirona, Aup, it is from me, ShivaFan.

This story comes from the one's I have heard verbally over the years, it is quite a children's version. Yes, there are bears in the story, too, but I didn't want to turn it into a "bible" and be "too long".

Actually, there is an interesting aspect to Riksharaja that goes back to the time of Bali and Sugriva! This notable indeed was a monkey mother blessed by the Gods, and not only that, but CHANGED SEX back and forth! I didn't want to really get in that aspect in a children's story, but indeed Riksharaja was in one way a "trans-sexual".

Let us go back before Bali and Sugriva. Riksharaja was at that time a Varana monkey as mother of two notables - how? Riksharaja who saw his own reflection in a lake of water. He didn't like his"beastly" face that seemed to be mocking back at him. He thought it was another beast at first, and he plunged into the water to encounter the other and ask why a "monkey" would mock him.

In the ocean, he had the revelation of the power of the ocean of Maya. That there was no "other" but that it was his own face. But he still did not fully understand, and he prayed to become "beautiful". Not understanding the true nature of beauty, which is not skin deep but deeper.

However, coming out of the lake, his prayer was answered. But not exactly ...

He had changed into a She!

Destined to be the Mother of some very special characters, indeed!

To be continued ....but remember. Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it. And then one day you are a "monkey". But many think a monkey is beautiful.

spiritualhitchhiker

neti, neti, neti
Most people tend to mistake being sexually attractive as being beautiful. But that is not being beautiful, I don't mean the inner heart nonsense also.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This isn't a story from Sirona, Aup, it is from me, ShivaFan.
I have no problem with any Hindu story. They are all fascinating for me. I love stories and I myself am a bit of story-teller. I only said it needs some editing to come out even better. Your story is certainly very interesting, again a subject for further research for me. :)

A point to note which came out of my research. Wikipedia says in the 'Jambavan' page that he is mentioned as 'Kapishreshtha' in Valmiki's Ramayana, which means the best among Vanaras/Monkeys (if Vanaras were monkeys and not aboriginal tribesmen). Of course, in the later literature, he is a Riksha (a bear).

Now another point, the seven Great Bear Stars are also known as Riksha in RigVeda. From Tilak:

"In the Rig-Veda (I, 24, 10) the constellation of Ursa Major (Rikshah) is described as being placed “high” (uchhâh), and, as this can refer only to the altitude of the constellation, it follows that it must then have been over the head of the observer, which is possible only in the Circum-Polar regions."

amī ya ṛkṣā nihitāsa uccā naktaṃ dadṛśre kuha cid diveyuḥ l
adabdhāni varuṇasya vratāni vicākaśaccandramā naktameti ll
(Whither by day depart the Riksha that shine at night, set high in heaven above us?
Varuṇa's holy laws remain unweakened, and through the night the Moon moves on in splendor.)
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda Book 1: HYMN XXIV. Varuṇa and Others.

Also "In later literature, we find a tradition that the path of the sun lies through regions which are lower (adha) than the abode of the Seven Rishis, or the constellation of Ursa Major."
See Kâlidâsa’s Kumârasambhava, VI, 7. Also I, 16. See also Mallinâtha’s commentary on these verses.
Aup. notes: Though the two things are not related.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to read the story of Krishna and Sudama as a kid (abridged kids version of course.)
About Krishna and Sudama growing up under the care of two kind elderly people who ran an orphanage and how they had such a close bond.
When they grew up and Krishna was being all great and Kingly, Sudama meanwhile was living in abject poverty. One day at the behest of his wife he traveled to Krishna's kingdom in order to ask for some charity. Sudama, being embarrassed by the prospect though wanting to help his family faltered a great many times. Overcome with embarrassment, insecurity and helplessness. Upon seeing his old friend Krishna warmly embraced him, gave him the run of his palace and they both talked at length. Discussing their childhood and enjoying each others company. When Sudama left, he realized that he was so caught up in reliving old memories, he did not tell Krishna about his predicament or asked for any help. But embarrassment overcame him once more and went home all the same. Upon returning home he found that his run down old shack had been replaced with a great magnificent house, his wife was resplendent in beautiful clothes and jewelery and they had enough food and money to live comfortably forever.
Sudama was overjoyed and extremely grateful, however was worried that he may be tempted to leave the path of worship and asked to remain humble, a wish that was granted to him by Krishna.

(Incidentally the "origin story" of Krishna and Sudama I read differed from the Krishna TV serial's version which I used to watch at the same time. That giant snake demon thing still kind of scares me to this day. Though all the "demons" on the show look hilariously fake.)

Though as a kid I did quite like the story of the child of a "demon" who was a devout Vishnu devotee and the great Lion Headed form of Vishnu came and slayed the father.

And in the Krishna TV serial there was this old lady who was selling fruits and no one bought them. Then she rested in Krishna's courtyard and out came a baby Krishna who wanted the fruit. He sat in her lap (she was an untouchable I think?) because he had no concept of money and thought that was how he could buy her fruit and the lady was filled with joy. Krishna then decided he should give her some rice in exchange for all of her fruit. When he went to get the lady the rice, he "accidentally" spilled them leaving only 3 grains of rice. Which the nice lady very gratefully accepted and walked home extremely happy. Upon reaching her house the 3 grains of rice had transformed into precious stones and jewelery. And then of course Narayan burst out into a song of happiness and praise because apparently that was his job on the show. (Admittedly he was pretty fun on the show.)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. an orphanage ..
?? It was the hermitage, Ashrama (Boarding School of modern days) of Sage Sandipani near Ujjain. There is a pond near the Ashram where Lord Krishna and his class-mates used to wash their slates, that is known as Ankapāta, i.e., where the numbers fell. It was not an orphanage. Nanda, who knew Lord Krishna only as his son, was the chief of Nandgaon, perhaps a small principality. Of course, every one studied in such boarding schools at that time which were supported by Kings and rich. My supposed progenitor had his ashrama near Kabul. It is mentioned in Srimad Bhagawatham that Arjuna and Lord Krishna visited his hermitage after the Kurukshetra war. :) Lord Rama studied in Sage Vishwamitra's ashram, Kauravas and Pandavas in the ashram of Guru Dronacharya near Delhi (Gurgaon, really 'guru grama', the village of the guru, where Delhi Airport is situated). In an Ashrama, the rich and poor studied and lived together. Sandipani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
?? It was the hermitage, Ashrama (Boarding School of modern days) of Sage Sandipani near Ujjain. There is a pond near the Ashram where Lord Krishna and his class-mates used to wash their slates, that is known as Ankapāta, i.e., where the numbers fell. It was not an orphanage. Lord Krishna's guardian was chief of Nandgaon, Of course, every one studied in such boarding schools at that time which were supported by Kings and rich. My supposed progenitor had his ashrama near Kabul. :) Lord Rama studied in Sage Vishwamitra's ashram, Kauravas and Pandavas in the ashram of Guru Dronacharya. In an Ashrama, the rich and poor studied and lived together. Sandipani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*shrugs* It was probably just a translation issue or perhaps the translater just tried to be more.......anglicized on purpose for marketing reasons. And it was terribly watered down, being a translated abridged version of the story.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Interesting info on the Great Bear Stars, Aupmanyav.

There have been some great examples of Hindu renditions here for children.

I bet @ratikala has a good one!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think the story is that Lord Rama gave the 'Syamantaka mani' (Lord Vishnu's jewel) to Jambavan and told him that whoever defeats him in a duel and take the jewel from him will be no other than Rama's next avatara. Jambavan was too happy to have been defeated in the duel and prevailed over Lord Krishna to accept his daughter as his wife as well. :)