• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Fundamentalism VS the US Government

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
What do we do when the right wing Christians start talking about using their guns to start a war on the government? What do we do when they start organizing tea parties? What do we do when they call the government of Satan and start teaching their kids that, like in Jesus Camp? Seriously, what are we to do with these extremists?

xkatz

What do we do when the right wing Christians start talking about using their guns to start a war on the government? What do we do when they start organizing tea parties? What do we do when they call the government of Satan and start teaching their kids that, like in Jesus Camp? Seriously, what are we to do with these extremists?

Most right-wing Christian fundies are very pro-American. I doubt we will ever see those kind of things ACTUALLY happen. If they were to however, I think the gov't would declare a state of emergency and there would be a civil war between Secularists and the Fundies. I think Secularists though would easily defeat them.

Rainbow Mage

Would they? Do you realize that the extremist Christian groups that are actually violent would love to see something like that break out? I mean like the KKK, the Aryan Alliance, etc. They'd think it was their chance for power again

Rainbow Mage

Making fun of them won't stop them. We need to take action. I'm not sure what we should do yet.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
There may be some extreme individuals in the Tea Party, but they do not make up the majority.

There may be some extreme groups on the Right, but they do not make up the majority.

I know it's easy to get caught up in whatever the media fixates on (and they're trying REALLY hard to paint the Tea Party as violent), but you need not worry. There will not be violence. There will, however, be an exciting election in November.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Right wing Christian conservatives are a small minority. I think putting the Tea Parties in this though would be wrong. They are not just Christian Fundamentalist. Actually, some Christian Fundamentalists are also against them. So I don't think that would be quite fair to list Tea Parties under Christian Fundamentalism.

However, again, they are a minority, a dying one at that. They simply get news coverage because they are making noise. Even more though, they are divided among themselves. Really, not much danger.

reloadthis

The US media has been very effective in squashing out undesirable philosophies simply by poking fun and stereotyping certain groups, so I think that if we want to change minds, the best way to do it is through poking fun at them to show the absurdity of their way of thinking. Whether or not a philosophy is true/good or false/bad, or whether or not it serves to uplift humanity or tear it down, the most effective way to stamp out a philosophy is through satire and all out ridicule.