• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Monasticism? Some Questions

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
As a Buddhist I find myself interested in the Christian monastic tradition, but I admittedly know nothing about it. I wasn't raised Catholic, Orthodox, or Anglican.

I guess the questions I have, besides knowing that there are orders called the Franciscans, Benedictines, and such- are the following:

What is the theological precedent for monasticism in Christianity? Is it based on Jesus and the early church?

What about it's founder St. Anthony? Can you tell me about him?

What are some of the disciplines the monks and nuns live by, and what is considered monasticism's ultimate goal?

How do different orders of monks and nuns differ?

Do Christian monks adhere to special diets?

I guess any other question you feel I might have that you can answer. I am legitimately curious. Monasticism is one of the similarities between your faith and mine.

socharlie

As a Buddhist I find myself interested in the Christian monastic tradition, but I admittedly know nothing about it. I wasn't raised Catholic, Orthodox, or Anglican.

I guess the questions I have, besides knowing that there are orders called the Franciscans, Benedictines, and such- are the following:

What is the theological precedent for monasticism in Christianity? Is it based on Jesus and the early church?

What are some of the disciplines the monks and nuns live by, and what is considered monasticism's ultimate goal?

I guess any other question you feel I might have that you can answer. I am legitimately curious. Monasticism is one of the similarities between your faith and mine.
Christ Jesus was preaching detachment from physical world. Kind of Essene way. Solitude and transcendental meditation. This is base of Christian Monasticism.

David T

Premium Member

Your asking the wrong people!!!

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
@Buddha Dharma great questions, many thanks. This is a very interesting topic. I intend to give you a much fuller response tomorrow, when time permits but for the moment some general points for discussion:

First things first, the Franciscans are not technically a monastic order like the Benedictines, who adhere to the sixth century rule of St. Benedict, one of the most ancient guides to monastic life. The Franciscans, the Dominicans, the Augustinians and the Carmelites among many other groups, are what we Catholics would call mendicant orders.

From a Buddhist perspective, I totally get why you would regard the Franciscans and kindred orders to be a form of monasticism, since our medicant orders especially share the closest affinity to the Bhikku Sangha of Gautama Buddha as the great Pali scholar (and Buddhist covert) Maurice O'Connell Walshe (1911-1998), former Vice-President of the Buddhist Society and Chair of the English Sangha Trust, once noted in an article:

Wheel No:275/276, Buddhism and Christianity

An essential feature of medieval Christianity is the importance of monasticism...It is significant that two different cultures should have developed such an institution, which seems to go so much against the grain of human nature.

Those who have grown up against a background of Protestantism often scarcely realize the extent to which monasticism still plays a living role not only in the Roman Catholic but also in the Orthodox Church. The ideal of ascetic self-restraint as a way of purification was a fundamental one in early Christianity, and often led to excesses of self- mortification.

But in Western Christendom the wise rule established by St. Benedict (529) was a model for all subsequent monastic orders. Here, despite all theoretical differences, Christian and Buddhist practice approached each other closely, though it was the mendicant orders (‘friars’ not ‘monks’) founded in the early 13th century by St. Dominic and St. Francis of Assisi that came nearest to the Bhikkhu Sangha. And something of the same ascetic spirit outside the monastic orders is seen in the rule of celibacy for all clergy in the Roman Catholic Church, and for bishops in the Orthodox Church

To explain the difference between mendicancy and monasticism in simple terms:

Christian monasticism - is an order where monks or nuns live under an abbot or abbess in a stable, isolated community devoted to asceticism, contemplative prayer and manual labour under one rule of life, and where members own all property in common, renouncing private property for a sort of communistic model. Usually, this means that monks and nuns live in a cloistered environment - like a monastery, nunnery or abbey - which is closed off from the outside world.

There is also a sub-set of monastic living known as the anchorite or eremitic way of life, which is characterised by hermits dwelling alone (not in a community with other monks) in isolated cells or hermitages, whether a natural cave or a constructed dwelling, situated in the desert or the forest, who are sought out for spiritual advice and counsel.

Catholic mendicancy - is where an order of friars or sisters under a Superior-General adopt complete poverty and an itinerant, travelling lifestyle together, and where members have no property of any kind, private or in common: their survival being wholly dependent upon the good will and material support of the laity. It is essentially like a life "on the road". Unlike monks and hermits, mendicants wander cities, the countryside and on roads ministering to ordinary people.

What medicants (or "friars" as we call them, remember good old Friar Tuck from Robbin Hood?), hermits and monks all share with each other is that they all belong to religious orders devoted to asceticism, contemplation, the spiritual life and mysticism.

They can each be discussed, therefore, under the umbrella term of "Christian asceticism".

Monastics, hermits and mendicants each draw the precedent for their ways of life directly from the example of Jesus and the Early Church.

(1) Monks: In the Early Church community described in the biblical Book of Acts, we have the blueprint for the proto-communistic, cloistered monastic ethos in which property is held in common and private ownership is eschewed:

Acts 4:32

32 Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common.
This lifestyle of voluntary communism was not able to be practised by all the laity en masse after the first century, because the Church had so greatly expanded across the Roman Empire that it became impossible with the logistics of the period to model society this way.

And so, the requirement that every believer in Christ must surrender his or her personal property to the common good, was relaxed and by the early third century a select group of dedicated holy men and women retreated to the Egyptian desert to found the first monasteries, kick-starting the Christian monastic movement which would forever propagate the original Christian ideal of communistic, spiritual living for anybody who wanted to leave secular society behind and take part.

(2) Hermits: modelled themselves directly upon the exemplar left behind by St. John the Baptist, Jesus's cousin and forerunner, who practised an eremitical lifestyle in the Judean desert and the example of Jesus himself, when he dwelt alone in the same desert for 40 days and 40 nights fasting with the wild animals around him:

Temptation of Christ - Wikipedia

According to these texts, after being baptized by John the Baptist, Jesus fasted for forty days and nights in the Judaean Desert. During this time, Satan appeared to Jesus and tried to tempt him. Jesus having refused each temptation, the Devil then departed and Jesus returned to Galilee to begin his ministry.

Temptations were hedonism (hunger / satisfaction), egoism (spectacular throw / might) and materialism (kingdoms / wealth). John the Evangelist in his epistle calls these temptations "in world" as "lust of eyes" (materialism), "lust of body" (hedonism) and "pride of life" (egoism).[4] Temptations aim to mislead and pervert three main human characteristics;

The earliest monastics, known as the "Desert Fathers and Mothers" were eremitical monks/nuns living alone in the desert like John the Baptist and Jesus, psychologically purging themselves of hedonistic, egotistical and materialistic attachments to objects of sense - lust of body, lust of eye, pride of life etc. Eventually they formed cenobitic communities alongside fellow monks and nuns.

(3) Mendicants: took the example for their way of life directly from that of Jesus and His Apostles, which is why the Franciscans and Dominicans called their distinctive itinerant way of life "Apostolic Poverty" because these orders lived their lives without ownership of any property or accumulation of money: following the precepts given to the seventy disciples in the Gospel of Luke (10:1-24):

After this the Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself intended to go. 2 He said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. 3 Go on your way. See, I am sending you out like lambs into the midst of wolves. 4 Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and greet no one on the road. 5 Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house!’ 6 And if anyone is there who shares in peace, your peace will rest on that person; but if not, it will return to you. 7 Remain in the same house, eating and drinking whatever they provide, for the laborer deserves to be paid. Do not move about from house to house. 8 Whenever you enter a town and its people welcome you, eat what is set before you; 9 cure the sick who are there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’

And in terms of having no property or money at all:

Mark 10:21

Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.

This was the way Jesus lived during his ministry, so the mendicants are the ones most particularly like Jesus.​

Last edited:

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Monastics of the Theravada tradition own nothing and depend on laypeople for food and clothing. The term for a monk or nun means beggar.

In this sense, our mendicants are identical.

Your other questions:

One of my favourite stories from the Life of Abba Anthony the Great is the following:

"...One day some old men came to see Abba Anthony. In the midst of them was Abba Joseph. Wanting to test them, the old man suggested a text from the Scriptures, and, beginning with the youngest, he asked them what it meant. Each gave his opinion as he was able. But to each one the old man said, "You have not understood it". Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, "How would you explain this saying?" and he replied, "I don't know". Then Abba Anthony said, "Indeed, Abba Joseph has found the way, for he has said: 'I do not know'"..."

- St. Anthony the Great (ca. 251–356), (17)

Good question. Where do I begin! This is very complicated and necessarily long. BE WARNED :p

On the metaphysical level, the goal of the disciplines is theosis - to become by grace what God is by nature, otherwise known as union with God or deification.

On the practical level, this effectively leads to an altered state of consciousness called apatheia - a state of "imperturbable calm" where we have, through practice and the grace of God, stilled the part of our psyche which chatters and thinks through rational processes and become freed from disordered attachments to sense-perceptions.

We are then aware of something deeper:

"...Saint Augustine speaks of a higher part of the mind reserved for the contemplation of God and a lower part of the mind that reasons. Evagrius Ponticus, a fourth-century monk, is one of a host of contemplative writers to make an important distinction between the calculating, reasoning mind that makes use of concepts in a process we call ratiocination or discursive thought, and that dimension of mind that comes to knowledge directly, without the mediation of concepts. This he later called nous, an intuitive spiritual intelligence. And so when he defines prayer as 'communion of the mind with God,' he means a dimension of our conciousness that runs deeper than the discursive process of ratiocination..."

- Fr Martin Laird, modern Catholic contemplative writer & priest

One can only become aware of this deeper consciousness through mindfulness/watchfulness.

It is a state of being we call "infused contemplation" or theosis described by the Augustinian mendicant (and ultimately hermit) Blessed Jan van Ruysbroeck (1294 - 1381), one of the greatest medieval mystics of the Catholic Church, as follows in his seminal work The Twelve Beguines:

"...Contemplation is a knowing that is unconditioned,
For ever dwelling above the Reason.
Never can it sink down into the Reason,
And above it can the Reason never climb.

The shining forth of That which is Unconditioned is as a fair mirror.
Wherein shines the Eternal Light of God.
It has no attributes,
And here all the works of Reason fail.
It is not God, But it is the Light whereby we see Him.
Those who walk in the Divine Light of it
Discover in themselves the Unwalled.

That which is Unconditioned,
Is above the Reason, not without it:
It beholds all things without amazement.
Amazement is far beneath it:
The contemplative life is without amazement.
That which is Unconditioned, it knows not what;
For it is above all, and is neither This nor That

And its seeing is Unconditioned,

Being without manner,
And it is neither thus nor thus,
Neither here nor there;
For that which is Unconditioned hath enveloped all,
And the vision is made high and wide.

It knows not itself where That is which it sees;
and it cannot come thereto, for its seeing is in no wise,
and passes on, beyond, for ever, and without return.

That which it apprehends it cannot realise in full,
Nor wholly attain, for its apprehension is wayless,
and without manner,
And therefore it is apprehended of God in a higher way than it can apprehend Him.

Behold! such is a following of the Way that is Wayless,
Beyond all images in the Light of God...
"

(Continued...)

Last edited:

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Simply put the "practice" of a monk/hermit/mendicant towards this goal consists of the following:

(a) ascesis: which means essentially "spiritual discipline". Involves fasting, chanting, lectio divina (spiritual reading of scripture) and most importantly of all something called watchfulness, as described by Abba Evagrius:

"...If there is any monk who wishes to take the measure of some of the more fierce passions so as to gain experience in his monastic art, then let him keep careful watch over his thoughts. Let him observe their intensity, their periods of decline and follow them as they rise and fall. Let him note well the complexity of his thoughts, their periodicity, with the order of their succession and the nature of their associations. Then let him ask from Christ the explanations of these data he has observed..."

Abba Evagrius Ponticus (345-399 AD), early desert father, in "The Praktikos & Chapters on Prayer"

One hopes to attain "ascetic purity" through this practice i.e.

"...What is ascetic purity, in a nutshell? A heart which burns with compassion for every thing in creation - not only for human beings, but for birds, animals, reptiles, and everything that is, even for demons, for the enemies of truth, and for those who cause you harm - all as a result of an intense compassion, like God's own, infused in one's heart without measure..."
  • Saint Isaac the Syrian (died c. 700), Christian mystic, bishop & theologian
(b) meditation: refers to discursive prayer relying on images, ideas, thoughts, even statues and icons to aid the person.

(c) contemplation: non-discursive or imageless prayer, the highest practice.
This is the cultivation of an awareness that is not ordinary because our ordinary mode of perception is to chatter, obsess and think:

"...After seasons of practice, the fruit is the stillness, inner focus, and recollection of that dimension of human awareness that thinks, chatters, obsesses, and swarms like a plague of gnats..."

- Fr Martin Laird, modern Catholic contemplative writer & priest

Here is a quote from an academic book written in the early 1920s by a Benedictine monk, giving a good definition of the "practice" of contemplation:

"...The preliminary condition for contemplation is that the mind has been through a process of spiritual training, whereby it is able to empty itself of images and sense perceptions...

One sets oneself to pray, say for the regulation half-hour; empties the mind of all images, ideas, concepts - this is commonly done without much difficulty; fixes the soul in loving attention on God, without express or distinct idea of Him, beyond the vague incomprehensible idea of His Godhead; makes no particular acts, but a general actuation of love, without sensible devotion or emotional feeling: a sort of blind and dumb act of the will or of the soul itself.

This lasts a few minutes, then fades away, and either a blank or distractions supervene: when recognized, the will again fixes the mind in loving attention for a time. The period of prayer is thus passed in such alternations, a few minutes each, the bouts of loving attention being, in favourable conditions, more prolonged than the bouts of distraction
..."

- Dom Cuthbert Butler, Benedictine Monk in "Western Mysticism: Augustine, Gregory, and Bernard on Contemplation and the Contemplative Life" (1922), p69

Here also is a classic description from Pope St. Gregory the Great:

"...[In contemplation] the mind must first have learned to shut out from its eyes all the phantasmata [mental images or representations of objects] of earthly and heavenly images, and to spurn and tread underfoot whatever presents itself to its thought from sight, from hearing, from smell, from bodily touch or taste, so that it may seek interiorly as it is without these sensations...

If our mind be distracted by earthly images, it can no way consider itself or the nature of the soul, because by how many thoughts it is led about, by so many obstacles it is blinded. And so the first step is that it collect itself within itself (recollection); the second, that it consider what its nature is so collected (introversion); the third, that it rise above itself and yield itself to the intent contemplation of its invisible Maker (contemplation).

But the mind cannot recollect itself unless it has first learned to repress all phantasmata of earthly images, and to reject and spurn whatever sense impressions present themselves to its thoughts, in order that it may seek itself within as it is without these sensations. So they are all to be driven away from the mind's eye, in order that the soul may see itself as it was made...

When the soul raised up to itself understands its own measure, and recognizes that it transcends all bodily things, and from the knowledge of itself passes to the knowledge of its Maker, what is this, except to see the door opposite the door?
..."

- Pope. St Gregory the Great (Homilies on Ezechiel II.V.), published in AD 593

The Desert Fathers and Mothers were the 'pioneers' of the 'structured', model of the contemplative life that would later come to predominate in the Catholic and Orthodox worlds. They are sort of like the Christian equivalent to the Hindu sages who took to the forests of India in the 7th - 5th centuries BC and authored the Upanishads.

They were respectively given the honorific titles of 'Abba' (father) and 'Amma' (mother) for their profound wisdom and holiness.

One of the later Desert Fathers named Abba Evagrius Ponticus (345-399) systematized and harmonized the disparate teachings, sayings and practices of his predecessors into a clear 'system' that became highly influential with later contemplatives. His disciple St. John Cassian was instrumental in the foundation of Western monasticism through his book The Conferences.

Abba Evagrius' structure of the contemplative life as beginning with the "purgative", proceeding to the "illuminative" stage and then concluding with the "contemplative" proper is the same basic tripartite structure that hasbeen employed by all subsequent contemplatives till the present day:

http://timiosprodromos2.blogspot.co.uk/2006/01/tpl-commentary-2.html

What Evagrius is saying is that the mystical ascent has three stages: the practical, the natural and the theological stages. Moreover, he is implying that this mystical ascent is not something apart from Christian dogma but an integral part of it. This is what we mean when we say that Evagrius places his mystical doctrine in a soteriological framework: the mystical ascent is how we work out our salvation; it is not something apart from our program of working out our salvation.

This tripartite division of the mystical life will become forever standard even in the West. There it is known as the purgative, the illuminative and the unitive stages. This terminology corresponds exactly to Evagrius’ basic meaning and can provide us with an interpretation of his terms.The practical life—of the monk—is the purgative stage, and theTreatise on the Practical Life[1] is devoted to it. We shall see as we go on just how Evagrius intends the term.

The natural part is the stage of the natural contemplation of existent things, subdivided into the natural contemplation of such existent things as do not possess mind (nous) and into the natural contemplation of such existent things as do possess mind (nous). The first are rocks and trees and animals; the second are the angels. By the time we have finished, this will have become clear.

The third stage, Theology, is the contemplation of God himself
.​

That's a big topic, I'll get onto it tomorrow.

Yes. I'll get onto that tomorrow.

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
@Vouthon it really is amazing to me how Christian and Buddhist monks have hit upon such similar insight- the unconditioned, cultivating compassion, watching the passions, and so forth. I saw so much a Buddhist would say in what you posted.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
@Vouthon it really is amazing to me how Christian and Buddhist monks have hit upon such similar insight- the unconditioned, cultivating compassion, watching the passions, and so forth. I saw so much a Buddhist would say in what you posted.

I have long thought the same! We have so much to discuss, time permitting. Would you mind expanding on some of the similarities with Buddhist thought when you get the chance? I'd be very interested to read your thoughts.

As Maurice Walshe, the Buddhist scholar noted too, its mighty strange that such similar monastic institutions emerged (seemingly) independently of one another in two separate religions and cultural spheres: first in fifth century B.C. India with Buddhism and then in third century A.D. Egypt, with Christianity.

Monasticism is completely absent from Judaism, Islam, Sikhism, the Baha'i Faith and a number of other religions (excepting Jainism).

In the Christian case though, the roots of our monasticism do stem from the pages of the New Testament as I have shown but the sudden explosion of the monastic movement in early 3rd century Egypt with the desert fathers and mothers is still peculiar in a way.

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Some similarities I can think of now immediately, going on what you posted is- the Buddha thought the conditioned gave rise to clinging and craving. A better-known saying of his is 'the mind gone to the unconstructed has reached the end of craving'.

The cultivation of love and pity for everything is commonly called Bodhicitta, which alludes to the Buddha's own heart, and what motivated his actions. Buddhists that make this their ideal practice try to cultivate pity for all things because they suffer, and this is the core ideal of the Bodhisattva. A Bodhisattva being one that foregoes Nirvana because they wish to keep working here to save everything.

Ahimsa (non-violence) is also fundamental to all the Dharmic religions of course, but this is a lot of stuff I could mention. Like you, I'd need time to collect it all. Having some questions might help.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Some similarities I can think of now immediately, going on what you posted is- the Buddha thought the conditioned gave rise to clinging and craving. A better-known saying of his is 'the mind gone to the unconstructed has reached the end of craving'.

The cultivation of love and pity for everything is commonly called Bodhicitta, which alludes to the Buddha's own heart, and what motivated his actions. Buddhists that make this their ideal practice try to cultivate pity for all things because they suffer, and this is the core ideal of the Bodhisattva. A Bodhisattva being one that foregoes Nirvana because they wish to keep working here to save everything.

Ahimsa (non-violence) is also fundamental to all the Dharmic religions of course, but this is a lot of stuff I could mention. Like you, I'd need time to collect it all. Having some questions might help.

Beautiful explanation!

I'll definitely be asking you questions tomorrow and look forward to it.

If any other questions you'd like to ask me come to mind, please just go ahead as well.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I'll definitely be asking you questions tomorrow and look forward to it

Okay, I'll get to them as soon as I can tomorrow, and do my best as a layman. If it takes me a bit to get any references to Buddhist writings for you, I only ask you bear with me. A lot of the stuff isn't translated into English, or hard to find. I'm a western convert.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, I'll get to them as soon as I can, and do my best as a layman. If it takes me a bit to get any references to Buddhist writings for you, I only ask you bear with me. A lot of the stuff isn't translated into English, or hard to find. I'm a western convert.

No worries @Buddha Dharma there is no rush! Please, take as much time as you need.

This is a very complex topic, given that the meditative practices and monastic traditions under discussion are both incredibly rich and ancient.

Believe it or not, translation is an issue with access to some of the Christian material too - namely works written in koine Greek, Syriac, Latin, middle high German, Umbrian and a host of other languages. What we have in English basically scratches the surface.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for texts in Pali and Sanskrit.

Grandliseur

@Buddha Dharma great questions, many thanks. This is a very interesting topic. I intend to give you a much fuller response tomorrow, when time permits but for the moment some general points for discussion:

First things first, the Franciscans are not technically a monastic order like the Benedictines, who adhere to the sixth century rule of St. Benedict, one of the most ancient guides to monastic life. The Franciscans, the Dominicans, the Augustinians and the Carmelites among many other groups, are what we Catholics would call mendicant orders.

From a Buddhist perspective, I totally get why you would regard the Franciscans and kindred orders to be a form of monasticism, since our medicant orders especially share the closest affinity to the Bhikku Sangha of Gautama Buddha as the great Pali scholar (and Buddhist covert) Maurice O'Connell Walshe (1911-1998), former Vice-President of the Buddhist Society and Chair of the English Sangha Trust, once noted in an article:

Wheel No:275/276, Buddhism and Christianity

An essential feature of medieval Christianity is the importance of monasticism...It is significant that two different cultures should have developed such an institution, which seems to go so much against the grain of human nature.

Those who have grown up against a background of Protestantism often scarcely realize the extent to which monasticism still plays a living role not only in the Roman Catholic but also in the Orthodox Church. The ideal of ascetic self-restraint as a way of purification was a fundamental one in early Christianity, and often led to excesses of self- mortification.

But in Western Christendom the wise rule established by St. Benedict (529) was a model for all subsequent monastic orders. Here, despite all theoretical differences, Christian and Buddhist practice approached each other closely, though it was the mendicant orders (‘friars’ not ‘monks’) founded in the early 13th century by St. Dominic and St. Francis of Assisi that came nearest to the Bhikkhu Sangha. And something of the same ascetic spirit outside the monastic orders is seen in the rule of celibacy for all clergy in the Roman Catholic Church, and for bishops in the Orthodox Church

To explain the difference between mendicancy and monasticism in simple terms:

Christian monasticism - is an order where monks or nuns live under an abbot or abbess in a stable, isolated community devoted to asceticism, contemplative prayer and manual labour under one rule of life, and where members own all property in common, renouncing private property for a sort of communistic model. Usually, this means that monks and nuns live in a cloistered environment - like a monastery, nunnery or abbey - which is closed off from the outside world.

There is also a sub-set of monastic living known as the anchorite or eremitic way of life, which is characterised by hermits dwelling alone (not in a community with other monks) in isolated cells or hermitages, whether a natural cave or a constructed dwelling, situated in the desert or the forest, who are sought out for spiritual advice and counsel.

Catholic mendicancy - is where an order of friars or sisters under a Superior-General adopt complete poverty and an itinerant, travelling lifestyle together, and where members have no property of any kind, private or in common: their survival being wholly dependent upon the good will and material support of the laity. It is essentially like a life "on the road". Unlike monks and hermits, mendicants wander cities, the countryside and on roads ministering to ordinary people.

What medicants (or "friars" as we call them, remember good old Friar Tuck from Robbin Hood?), hermits and monks all share with each other is that they all belong to religious orders devoted to asceticism, contemplation, the spiritual life and mysticism.

They can each be discussed, therefore, under the umbrella term of "Christian asceticism".

Monastics, hermits and mendicants each draw the precedent for their ways of life directly from the example of Jesus and the Early Church.

(1) Monks: In the Early Church community described in the biblical Book of Acts, we have the blueprint for the proto-communistic, cloistered monastic ethos in which property is held in common and private ownership is eschewed:

Acts 4:32

32 Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common.
This lifestyle of voluntary communism was not able to be practised by all the laity en masse after the first century, because the Church had so greatly expanded across the Roman Empire that it became impossible with the logistics of the period to model society this way.

And so, the requirement that every believer in Christ must surrender his or her personal property to the common good, was relaxed and by the early third century a select group of dedicated holy men and women retreated to the Egyptian desert to found the first monasteries, kick-starting the Christian monastic movement which would forever propagate the original Christian ideal of communistic, spiritual living for anybody who wanted to leave secular society behind and take part.

(2) Hermits: modelled themselves directly upon the exemplar left behind by St. John the Baptist, Jesus's cousin and forerunner, who practised an eremitical lifestyle in the Judean desert and the example of Jesus himself, when he dwelt alone in the same desert for 40 days and 40 nights fasting with the wild animals around him:

Temptation of Christ - Wikipedia

According to these texts, after being baptized by John the Baptist, Jesus fasted for forty days and nights in the Judaean Desert. During this time, Satan appeared to Jesus and tried to tempt him. Jesus having refused each temptation, the Devil then departed and Jesus returned to Galilee to begin his ministry.

Temptations were hedonism (hunger / satisfaction), egoism (spectacular throw / might) and materialism (kingdoms / wealth). John the Evangelist in his epistle calls these temptations "in world" as "lust of eyes" (materialism), "lust of body" (hedonism) and "pride of life" (egoism).[4] Temptations aim to mislead and pervert three main human characteristics;

The earliest monastics, known as the "Desert Fathers and Mothers" were eremitical monks/nuns living alone in the desert like John the Baptist and Jesus, psychologically purging themselves of hedonistic, egotistical and materialistic attachments to objects of sense - lust of body, lust of eye, pride of life etc. Eventually they formed cenobitic communities alongside fellow monks and nuns.

(3) Mendicants: took the example for their way of life directly from that of Jesus and His Apostles, which is why the Franciscans and Dominicans called their distinctive itinerant way of life "Apostolic Poverty" because these orders lived their lives without ownership of any property or accumulation of money: following the precepts given to the seventy disciples in the Gospel of Luke (10:1-24):

After this the Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself intended to go. 2 He said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. 3 Go on your way. See, I am sending you out like lambs into the midst of wolves. 4 Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and greet no one on the road. 5 Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house!’ 6 And if anyone is there who shares in peace, your peace will rest on that person; but if not, it will return to you. 7 Remain in the same house, eating and drinking whatever they provide, for the laborer deserves to be paid. Do not move about from house to house. 8 Whenever you enter a town and its people welcome you, eat what is set before you; 9 cure the sick who are there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’

And in terms of having no property or money at all:

Mark 10:21

Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.

This was the way Jesus lived during his ministry, so the mendicants are the ones most particularly like Jesus.​
A well knitted article. Was this all from the link you provided?
It should be mentioned, however, that even when they shared all things in common, marriage was still permitted and not at all forbidden.

Srivijaya

Direct answer. Father Lazarus is a modern day desert anchorite. Plenty on YouTube about him. The more you watch, the more astonished you will be. He does not equate the church with Christianity. This is a long vid but he explains his path. There are shorter vids too.

Last edited:

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
A well knitted article. Was this all from the link you provided?
It should be mentioned, however, that even when they shared all things in common, marriage was still permitted and not at all forbidden.

Thanks Grandliseur, oh no - the only part from the link is the part that I quoted! I relied on a variety of sources, including my own knowledge of monasticism from what I've read over the years and discussed with people.