• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Religious Wars

Samara

At a quick glance back in history, and even today's world situation, does it seem like a majority of religious wars (and I say majority, not all) involve some faction of christianity, or is that just me???

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Samara said:
At a quick glance back in history, and even today's world situation, does it seem like a majority of religious wars (and I say majority, not all) involve some faction of christianity, or is that just me???

I don't think anyone has actually come up with a quantified answer to that question, but when I was studying Far Eastern history in college, I only ran accross three wars that could be wedged into the shoe of religious, and two of those were questionable.

Samara

And what were those?

I agree there are many wars that have been started by other influencing factors, but many justify it under a flag of religion and their religions beliefs.

gnomon

Too adequately understand the role of religion in war we must look at all the wars and the factors leading to them. A rather broad undertaking. A careful definition of what qualifies as a religion, a war and its causes must be agreed upon.

Ody

Samara said:

It's not just you, christianity had a problem with being hijacked by insaine war hawks.

Ody

~Lord Roghen~ said:
i concider that offensive. You shouldnt cooncider those people christians if they were to do something like that.

I'm not implying that they are christians, i am merely saying christian churches in the middle ages had problems with psychos taking control of the sermons. Just as the good intentioned idea of communism was hijacked by maoism.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Samara said:

only wars that have taken place in the last 2000 years - i don't know loads about warfare before that, but i'm sure it did happen.

but yes, i think you are right, a lot of wars have contained an element of religion, bu ti wouldn't say only elements of christianity.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
If you're looking at Europe and the West, then sure. You've got to remember Christianity has been the biggest religion for sometime now, though, so it's not really a fair comparison. Searching further back in history and you'll find more conflicts with Confucianism, Hindiusm, and so on and so forth.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
~Lord Roghen~ said:
i concider that offensive. You shouldnt cooncider those people christians if they were to do something like that.

maybe we shouldn't, but those people proclaimed themselves to be Christian.......It is up to Christians to prove that they were not so.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
~Lord Roghen~ said:

but they conciderd themselves to be christian. while i agree they did not act "christ like", many european countries justified the poor treatment of followers of other religions through their own faith, the expulsion of the Jews and Muslims from many countries in medieval europe shows this.

for instance, Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain in the late 15th, early 16th century were undeniably christian, on very good terms with the Pope at that time (i think Pope Leo X, but i'm not quite sure) and were indeed known as protectors of the Faith! they offerd both Jews and Moores the opportunity to convert to catholicism, or be expelled. i agree it was an ultimatum, and very un christ like, but the fact is that they were christian.