• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

christianity and polytheism

syo

christianity opposes polytheism because polytheists see nature as manifestation of gods. the sea is a manifestation of the god of the sea etc. in christianity, god is separate from his creation and the only connection nature has with god is only through jesus christ. so christians speak of one true god and all other gods are fake because other gods are pointless.

socharlie

christianity opposes polytheism because polytheists see nature as manifestation of gods. the sea is a manifestation of the god of the sea etc. in christianity, god is separate from his creation and the only connection nature has with god is only through jesus christ. so christians speak of one true god and all other gods are fake because other gods are pointless.
much of polytheism is actually monotheism as lower gods is emanated from one supreme god , Judaism talks about One God but many angelic beings - Elohim, emanations of God. Christianity have powerful Satan against God - is it monotheism ?

Holdasown

much of polytheism is actually monotheism as lower gods is emanated from one supreme god , Judaism talks about One God but many angelic beings - Elohim, emanations of God. Christianity have powerful Satan against God - is it monotheism ?
Not if you are a hard polytheist like myself. I view each god as an individual entity. Satan isn't a god but a supernatural being. Nothing in the text indicates god as label for him. Just like elves are not gods or dwarfs.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

It's okay if you believe this, but I want to point out that what you've said here is a type of cultural erasure and doesn't represent the perspectives of actual polytheists.
I understand the need to square ideas we find challenging with narratives that make sense within our own paradigms, but doing so means we fail to really understand others. Interpreting polytheism through a monotheist lens means (at a minimum) a failure to understand polytheism. It also basically invalidates other cultures and perspectives by erasing them, or saying they aren't "really" what they say they are. I find it very frustrating as a polytheist to be told things like "oh, your gods are all manifestations of the Ultimate" or whatever song it is. To use a comparison that is perhaps easier to understand, it's like telling a homosexual that they're "really" heterosexual. No, they're not.

I suppose I have less patience for this sort of stuff given how much polytheism has been subverted and systematically wiped out in Western culture. People have such a poor grasp of it in the culture I am surrounded by, I want to see none of this sort of "polytheism is really monotheism" rubbish. :sweat:

David1967

Premium Member
Satan isn't a god but a supernatural being. Nothing in the text indicates god as label for him.

Except here;
2 Corinthians 4:4King James Version (KJV)
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

To respond to the OP, I think this is a simplification as this highlights one of the many reasons why people who happen to be Christian might be opposed to polytheism. From what I understand, the rise and dominance of monotheism (specifically Christianity) was something of a historical chance game where certain people in power happened to enforce certain dictums pushing society in given directions. In other words, it was more about politics and power than anything related to theology and the like. But it's been a long time since I've breezed through books like "God against the Gods" that go into this in much more detail than I could hope to.

As for why contemporary Christians are opposed to polytheism, I'd rather hear from them directly. Some of them aren't opposed to it at all, it just isn't their thing, yeah?

Reactions: syo

socharlie

Not if you are a hard polytheist like myself. I view each god as an individual entity. Satan isn't a god but a supernatural being. Nothing in the text indicates god as label for him. Just like elves are not gods or dwarfs.
Satan in my view is a state of mind. Also there are archons that may play Satan, gods angels... All mayor religions would have Initial God. What is religion? If it related to Nature - remember we all were stardust, only astral world is uncreated.

socharlie

It's okay if you believe this, but I want to point out that what you've said here is a type of cultural erasure and doesn't represent the perspectives of actual polytheists. I understand the need to square ideas we find challenging with narratives that make sense within our own paradigms, but doing so means we fail to really understand others. Interpreting polytheism through a monotheist lens means (at a minimum) a failure to understand polytheism. It also basically invalidates other cultures and perspectives by erasing them, or saying they aren't "really" what they say they are. I find it very frustrating as a polytheist to be told things like "oh, your gods are all manifestations of the Ultimate" or whatever song it is. To use a comparison that is perhaps easier to understand, it's like telling a homosexual that they're "really" heterosexual. No, they're not.

I suppose I have less patience for this sort of stuff given how much polytheism has been subverted and systematically wiped out in Western culture. People have such a poor grasp of it in the culture I am surrounded by, I want to see none of this sort of "polytheism is really monotheism" rubbish. :sweat:
All polytheism I looked at before did come as emanation of the Initial Force. But I looked only at few major religions.
I try to relate religion to its age and place it originated from.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
All polytheism I looked at before did come as emanation of the Initial Force.

That may be the case, but you are interpreting these tales through a monotheist lens rather than a polytheist one. Let me use an analogy that might help you get into the polytheist mindset: j
ust because you emanated from your mother's womb doesn't mean you are your mother.

Aldrnari

Meh... When I was a Christian, it was hard for me to wrap my brain around the concept of more than one god at the same time, or how that could have any value. After leaving that faith, I experimented with others, and broadened my points of view... and that's all it really is, imo.

A walled off mind can't truly know what's on the other side of that wall. It can only make guesses based on what it allows itself to see.

Reactions: syo

socharlie

That may be the case, but you are interpreting these tales through a monotheist lens rather than a polytheist one. Let me use an analogy that might help you get into the polytheist mindset: just because you emanated from your mother's womb doesn't mean you are your mother.
all Gods are created in human consciousness, they may be real or not but without
acknowledgment by human they do not exist for us. In a way humans create and maintain gods. Gods or spirits or angels are emanated with purpose and the exist for the purpose

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh... When I was a Christian, it was hard for me to wrap my brain around the concept of more than one god at the same time, or how that could have any value. After leaving that faith, I experimented with others, and broadened my points of view... and that's all it really is, imo.

A walled off mind can't truly know what's on the other side of that wall. It can only make guesses based on what it allows itself to see.

I think many of us who have come to polytheism have a similar experience. Western culture is very entrained to think about only God - the Abrahamic, classical monotheist variety - and little else. We don't even realize the box we're thinking in is there, and then can't recognize how it colors our interpretations of other theologies or types of theism. There's a lot of unlearning that has to happen, yeah?

all Gods are created in human consciousness, they may be real or not but without
acknowledgment by human they do not exist for us. In a way humans create and maintain gods. Gods or spirits or angels are emanated with purpose and the exist for the purpose

Well, let me know when you want to try and understand polytheism from the perspective of actual polytheists, I guess?

socharlie

I think many of us who have come to polytheism have a similar experience. Western culture is very entrained to think about only God - the Abrahamic, classical monotheist variety - and little else. We don't even realize the box we're thinking in is there, and then can't recognize how it colors our interpretations of other theologies or types of theism. There's a lot of unlearning that has to happen, yeah?

Well, let me know when you want to try and understand polytheism from the perspective of actual polytheists, I guess?
What constitutes god vs a spiritual being?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What constitutes god vs a spiritual being?

I don't use the word "spiritual" much less "spiritual being" so I wouldn't make the comparison. As for gods, gods are that which a person or culture deifies. Deification is basically going "this thing is worthy of worship - it is worthy of respect, celebration and honor." Why would someone consider something worthy? Depends... there's no one answer. Not for a polytheist, anyway; liberty in worship is one of its strengths.

socharlie

I don't use the word "spiritual" much less "spiritual being" so I wouldn't make the comparison. As for gods, gods are that which a person or culture deifies. Deification is basically going "this thing is worthy of worship - it is worthy of respect, celebration and honor." Why would someone consider something worthy? Depends... there's no one answer. Not for a polytheist, anyway; liberty in worship is one of its strengths.
imo, it is matter of terminology, some cultures/religions call astral entities gods some angels, e.t.c Astral world just exists with whatever in it.. Humans can sense it or not, if they do not sense it in any form, they are atheists.

Jumi

Agreed. I think having something that can be considered an opponent of God is polytheism.

So is there a God of illness, and a God of mountains, a God of the trees and a God of evil, What about a God or murder, a God who created lies and liers. What if i prevent and cure an illiness did i suspend that Gods power, what about climbing mountains and volcanos, what about being a genuine good natural person, and what about saving lives and being a persistent truth teller. I think you can see the problems with this theory you have.
If there is a God for something particular and i prevail against that thing, i am rendering the ability of that God powerless. Which means that God is not a God.