• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity DIR: What was god doing before earth?

?'sNoAnswers

?'sNoAnswers
I starting thinking about this the other day. The bible goes back to when god started creating earth and everything else. What I'm wondering is what was he doing in all the time before he created everything. Or to go even further how did god come into existence. Sorry for such a broad question, just wondering if anyone has any input to this.

Thanks

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure there is a before creation to be talking about...

God is... He never wasn't, He eternally is...

DadBurnett

Instigator
What was God doing? I've also wondered, what was God being?
Both questions are kinda like who or what triggered the spark that set off the Big Bang?
Our Mormon friens with their belief in a preexistence have a partial answer, but even they eventully run into an unexplanable begenning scenario.
There are no answers, maybe that's what eternity is for, to give us time to figure it all out.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Our Mormon friens with their belief in a preexistence have a partial answer, but even they eventully run into an unexplanable begenning scenario.
Yeah, I was thinking of answering the OP and then I thought... Do I really want to go there? :D

LittleNipper

I starting thinking about this the other day. The bible goes back to when god started creating earth and everything else. What I'm wondering is what was he doing in all the time before he created everything. Or to go even further how did god come into existence. Sorry for such a broad question, just wondering if anyone has any input to this.

Thanks

GOD was existing in a timeless vacuum totally engrossed within HIMSELF.

lockyfan

What was God doing? I've also wondered, what was God being?
Both questions are kinda like who or what triggered the spark that set off the Big Bang?
There are no answers, maybe that's what eternity is for, to give us time to figure it all out.

Well the bible does say that eternity is put into our hearts as we will never know all the ways of God

Ecclesiasties 3:11 Everything he has made pretty in its time. Even time indefinite he has put in their heart, that mankind may never find out the work that the [true] God has made from the start to the finish

I personally think we were created and that Jehovah using his abundant power created the big bang.

Also he was creating the heavens and the universe before he created the earth.

He created Jesus first spent a bit of time with him first, then Jehovah gave Jesus the blueprints or designs for all other creations and got him to help in the creation work by doing it through Jesus and not by himself.

GOD was existing in a timeless vacuum totally engrossed within HIMSELF.

Chason

I have an answer for that. We are creatures that live within deminsions 1-4, the fourth being time, so we judge our existence by an obvious starting point and a deffinate ending point. This is a natural concept to us, and hard to think outside of.

But God does not live within this dimension, unless he chooses to make himself a part of it (like when he cam as Jesus...). So God does not need to have a defined "coming into existence" because those laws don't apply to Him.

It's like a square saying to a circle, "Hey circle, why don't you have any corners?"

Circle: "I don't need them."

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology

Thanks

Man. He was just taking it easy, dude. He was abiding. Plain and simple. Same thing he did on the seventh day, man. Taking it easy.

Chason

I think that you sort of hit on something there.

On the seventh day, God rested. Does this mean that God was tired? No. He simply had nothing left that needed to be done. So I think that the same went for eternity past...unless there is something else God did back then that we don't know about. In any event...If God will lend his ear to me for long enough when I get to heaven, I am going to be constantly asking him questions like this. So hopefully he'll just make us all aware of them one day and save the trouble of repeating in millions of times. :)

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I think that you sort of hit on something there.

On the seventh day, God rested. Does this mean that God was tired? No. He simply had nothing left that needed to be done. So I think that the same went for eternity past...unless there is something else God did back then that we don't know about. In any event...If God will lend his ear to me for long enough when I get to heaven, I am going to be constantly asking him questions like this. So hopefully he'll just make us all aware of them one day and save the trouble of repeating in millions of times. :)

God is unknowable by our human understanding. God transcends all human understanding. We put faces on this ultimate reality to understand things better. At least that is my belief now.
Those answers are already within you. You just need to sit and listen.

:namaste Amitabha

RomCat

God is "I am who am."
God always was and always will be.
There is no beginning or end with God.
There is no time with God.
Time was created by God for our existence
in this material world.

lockyfan

I have an answer for that. We are creatures that live within deminsions 1-4, the fourth being time, so we judge our existence by an obvious starting point and a deffinate ending point. This is a natural concept to us, and hard to think outside of.

But God does not live within this dimension, unless he chooses to make himself a part of it (like when he cam as Jesus...). So God does not need to have a defined "coming into existence" because those laws don't apply to Him.

It's like a square saying to a circle, "Hey circle, why don't you have any corners?"

Circle: "I don't need them."

The bible says that was and always will be.

Wel ive in One Realm that is Earth, Jehovah has the spirit realm to which he belongs. Heaven is forhim to reside in.

He never came to the earth, because the power that he has, if he had died for three days the world would no longer have existed. Therefore saing that Jesus is God makes no sense as the world still exists now.