• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity is anthropocentric

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Sometimes other religions denigrate Christians, because of their anthropocentrism.
Actually Christianity is anthropocentric.
For a Christian God is not superior to man, but he is equal to him.
That's why Jesus came to this Earth: to show us that man is divine, and saying that man is inferior is a blasphemy.

It's like saying that Jesus is inferior to God.

TheGunShoj

Sometimes other religions denigrate Christians, because of their anthropocentrism.
That's why Jesus came to this Earth: to show us that man is divine, and saying that man is inferior is a blasphemy.

I have never come across another Christian that believes this. Perhaps they do and it just didn't come up in my discussions with them. I can see a lot of issues arising from this belief though, the first that comes to mind is a conflict of morality.

Do you believe that God is the author of all morals? If so and if we are equal, what is to prevent each person from writing their own moral code?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Do you believe that God is the author of all morals? If so and if we are equal, what is to prevent each person from writing their own moral code?

Actually there is one moral and there is one law, that is:
Do not do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you.

You are free to do whatever you want, as long as your actions don't harm your neighbor, neither directly nor indirectly.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I have never come across another Christian that believes this. Perhaps they do and it just didn't come up in my discussions with them. I can see a lot of issues arising from this belief though, the first that comes to mind is a conflict of morality.

and one more thing: the real Christian is the one who puts man at the center of the universe.
In so many ways, an Atheist can be much more Christian than a Christian

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
and one more thing: the real Christian is the one who puts man at the center of the universe.
In so many ways, an Atheist can be much more Christian than a Christian

I am only assuming what you mean by this.

Atheists are anti-anthropocentric and almost always assert that man is another animal with nothing special in the place of the cosmos. Atheists also find the anthropocentrism of the Bible to be inherently evil and deluded(one or the other).

This is why Atheists are so fond of animal rights and are humanists often times.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I am only assuming what you mean by this.

Atheists are anti-anthropocentric and almost always assert that man is another animal with nothing special in the place of the cosmos. Atheists also find the anthropocentrism of the Bible to be inherently evil and deluded(one or the other).

This is why Atheists are so fond of animal rights and are humanists often times.

I love you for understanding this. I wish the others got it too.

precisely: when an Atheist doesn't trust human nature (because they think that men are wild selfish animals), is not Christian.
when an Atheist trusts human nature, (because they have understood that man is the only real God existing in the universe), is a Christian

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

precisely: when an Atheist doesn't trust human nature (because they think that men are wild selfish animals), is not Christian.
when an Atheist trusts human nature, (because they have understood that man is the only real God existing in the universe), is a Christian

This is the opposite of anthropocentrism though as the assertion is that man is the measure of all life and existence.

Unless you mean this in a reverse way of sort by claiming that Jesus/God is somehow human and being human makes one godly. If this is the case then I despise Christian theology even more.

TheGunShoj

I get most of what you are saying...except for the crux of the matter. Why are you using the label "Christian"? this doesn't sound like Christianity to me. "Man is the only real god existing in the universe" Do you believe in Yahweh?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I get most of what you are saying...except for the crux of the matter. Why are you using the label "Christian"? this doesn't sound like Christianity to me. "Man is the only real god existing in the universe" Do you believe in Yahweh?

The Jews' God is not the Christians' God.

The Jews' God is a prideful God that wants to be adored.
The Christian's God is Love. and Jesus is Love made flesh. But only Mary's love could show how great man's love is. That's why Mary could incarnate Love (or God) in her womb.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

The Christian's God is Love. and Jesus is Love made flesh. But only Mary's love could show how great man's love is. That's why Mary could incarnate Love (or God) in her womb.

I think that actual Jews (and probably a number of Christians) would not agree with this characterization. How the Abrahamic monotheists interpret and understand their god varies quite a bit within the three major branches, and has also varied throughout history.

At any rate, I would agree that in terms of religions, Christianity tends to be more anthropocentric, but not precisely for the reasons you stated. I would cite things like the importance given to the creation of humans in Biblical mythos, whilst in Pagan mythos the creation of humans is more of a footnote. I would also cite things such as the idea of a one-god being directly and personally interested in the affairs of humans, and in particular, interested in human well-being.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Jesus refers to God in the Bible, though. So unless you think those are added Scripture, this doesn't seem to correlate with Biblical text.

Thana

Lady

I've never heard another Christian who ever believed in Anthropocentrism.
God is superior to us, For you to say otherwise... That's very... worrying. Nowhere in the bible, No where in any Christian teaching that I can think of does it say that we are equal to Him, Our Creator.

I'm not even going to touch this one.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I've never heard another Christian who ever believed in Anthropocentrism.
God is superior to us, For you to say otherwise... That's very... worrying. Nowhere in the bible, No where in any Christian teaching that I can think of does it say that we are equal to Him, Our Creator.

I'm not even going to touch this one.

I was going to say the same thing, but I changed my mind. Thanks! :)

A

angellous_evangellous

I agree that Christianity is anthropocentric -- and that is completely what we should expect.

The Christian message is that humans can be redeemed from human action by a human who is God. It's also earth-centric -- no other peoples on any other planet are concerned. Animals are considered, but are redeemed through the human.

It makes sense that a human religion would be human centered.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What I've learned about Christianity is that it is supposed to be "God-centered". Although most Christians believe Jesus to be God; at the same time we also believe He was 100% human while He walked among us. He could be tempted, He had emotions like ours, He even wept.
What Christianity teaches is that we can't save ourselves, that only God can save us. If we could save ourselves, then we wouldn't have needed Jesus at all. That is what my faith teaches.
What I am writing here is rather simplistic and very incomplete and possibly a bit erroneous. It is what I was taught since I became a Christian.

But, there are many different variations of Christianity. It is not up to me to judge them.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

One man's blasphemy and another man's orthodoxy.