• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity Today article regarding Trump impeachment.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I've read the article, I agree with it, I'm happy that it was written. I note, also, that this same publication made essentially the same case, 20-odd years ago, for removing Bill Clinton. It does not appear to me that there is a political agenda behind what CT wrote, but rather a consistent view of the kind of moral quality that, from their perspective, ought to be demanded of someone claiming "leadership" of the nation.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Baha’is while participating in democratic elections and taking a keen interest in the religious, political and economic affairs of the world we live in should also avoid all involvement in partisan politics. So the editorial crosses a line that Baha’is shouldn’t cross. It was however interesting reading and a remarkable development that a conservative influential Christian publication would take such a step. Thanks for sharing.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Trump is probably the least religious President we have ever had, how the hell that appeals to conservative Christians God only knows!!

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
OK, so I must admit that I was surprised by this (pleasantly surprised). Thoughts?
Trump Should Be Removed from Office
For thoughts I'll post what gospel writer Luke wrote, which Paul said at Acts of the Apostles 23:5
It is written, ' Thou shalt Not speak evil of the ruler of thy people ' which is referenced from Exodus 22:28 B.
Thus, it seems to me 'Christianity Today' is really Not Christian if 'they' judge the president.
Also, Jesus and his first-century followers were: politically neutral.
They did Not even get involved in the issues of the day between the Jews verses the Romans.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
For thoughts I'll post what gospel writer Luke wrote, which Paul said at Acts of the Apostles 23:5
It is written, ' Thou shalt Not speak evil of the ruler of thy people ' which is referenced from Exodus 22:28 B.
Thus, it seems to me 'Christianity Today' is really Not Christian if 'they' judge the president.
They did Not even get involved in the issues of the day between the Jews verses the Romans.
They judged the same way for Bill Clinton so if they're not really Christian today, they weren't back then. And neither were all the so-called Christians that spoke badly of Barack Obama for that matter.

So what you're saying is that there are very few real Christians by your standard.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Trump is probably the least religious President we have ever had, how the hell that appeals to conservative Christians God only knows!!
I can guarantee you this...as an atheist, I know more about the religion he pretends to espouse. And I, an atheist, know way more about the holy texts he probably has never even looked at, and have a better appreciation of the religion itself than he will ever comprehend.

sooda

Veteran Member

Trump is not a "ruler"….

David1967

Premium Member

Thank you for your thoughts, and I respect your opinion, however, I'm not sure that applies to this.
Our political situation in the USA is very different than in 1st century Palestine. The Jews at that time were a conquered people and "speaking evil" of their rulers could well result in them being killed. In our day, especially in this country, I feel it is our duty and right as citizens to hold our leaders responsible for their actions. Not necessarily by "speaking evil" (which I don't think the CT article was doing), but by letting our voices and opinions be heard, especially at the voting booth.

David1967

Premium Member
I can guarantee you this...as an atheist, I know more about the religion he pretends to espouse. And I, an atheist, know way more about the holy texts he probably has never even looked at, and have a better appreciation of the religion itself than he will ever comprehend.

I believe you. The only reason (IMHO) that he claimed Christianity was to secure a powerful voting block. Good strategy in that it worked.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Mathew 23 seems to disagree...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
They judged the same way for Bill Clinton so if they're not really Christian today, they weren't back then. And neither were all the so-called Christians that spoke badly of Barack Obama for that matter.
So what you're saying is that there are very few real Christians by your standard.
I find by the standards Jesus taught and lived by.
Christians are to pray in behalf of leaders in authority so that Christians may lead a quiet and peaceable life.......
- see 1 Timothy 2:2
Apparently Jesus also is saying that there are very few real Christians as per Matthew 7:21-23.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Matthew 23 seems to disagree...
I wonder what about Matthew 23 that you have in mind________
Jesus taught Not to imitate the scribes and Pharisees
Jesus taught many ' woes ' to the scribes and Pharisees giving his reasons to them for those ' woes '.
Jesus lamented over un-faithful Jerusalem.
So, I would like to know where Matthew chapter 23 disagrees.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Thank you for your thoughts, and I respect your opinion, however, I'm not sure that applies to this.
Our political situation in the USA is very different than in 1st century Palestine. The Jews at that time were a conquered people and "speaking evil" of their rulers could well result in them being killed. In our day, especially in this country, I feel it is our duty and right as citizens to hold our leaders responsible for their actions. Not necessarily by "speaking evil" (which I don't think the CT article was doing), but by letting our voices and opinions be heard, especially at the voting booth.
However, the voting booth is Not a neutral place.
We can Not takes sides as per 1 Corinthians 10:20-21,31.
Jesus and his 1st-century followers were politically neutral in setting the example or model to be followed.
There is conflict between men's kingdoms or governments and God's kingdom government of Daniel 2:44.
I find Jesus was clear to pray for God's kingdom to come ( thy kingdom come.... )
So, we are praying for God's government to come, but in the meantime we are to live by Bible standards.
In other words, live as if Jesus is already 'president' meaning governing king of God's kingdom.
That means one has already 'voted', so to speak, Jesus in office and to live by his teachings.
Such as living by Jesus' New commandment as found at John 13:34-35
We are to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
This mean we are now to love neighbor 'more' than self.
So, the growing issue about being neutral will become paramount in the near future.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Define "real Christian" please. Is there a particular denomination that owns that title?
Jesus defined the ' real ' or ' wheat ' Christians from the ' fake ' ' weed/tares ' at John 13:34-35.
Genuine brotherly love would exist among them No matter where located on Earth, No matter which country.
For an example:
During the world wars people of the same faith in this country killed people of the same faith of another country.
Whereas, genuine Christians would be neutral and Not take up arms. - 2 Corinthians 10:4; Ephesians 6:11-17.
In the near future this will become a BIG issue.