• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas in small town America - is there any better place to be?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Here are some recent pics of some of the holiday spirit in my little town in East Texas. Notice the stars, which are mounted on oil derricks!

My mantle - all decked out!

Cat and Christmas tree - deadly combination!

Merry Christmas, everyone...to be continued!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I can't get used to the idea of a warm Christmas.

One of these years, I'll have to visit Wellsboro, Pennsylvania over the holidays. I've been there in the summer, and I was astounded by how much it looks like Bedford Falls from It's a Wonderful Life - if I hadn't looked up where the film was actually shot, I would've sworn it was the same town. It'd be neat to be there in the winter.

Requia

You've clearly never been to a small town farther north in winter.

Foot and a half of snow and the county can't afford more than one snowplow, that's my small town experience.

Kathryn

You've clearly never been to a small town farther north in winter.

Foot and a half of snow and the county can't afford more than one snowplow, that's my small town experience.

I've actually lived quite a bit further north several times in my life, including Ohio, the mountains in South Carolina (which get a lot of snow, believe it or not), Maryland, and three years in the Spessart Mountains of Germany.

Snow's pretty, but the charm wears off quickly.

That's why I live in the south!

By the way, I'm not so sure the winters here qualify as "warm." It was 25 degrees farenheit when I got up this morning. And here's what last winter looked like - for a day, anyway!

And we don't have ANY snow plows! But we rarely have a snowfall that stays on the ground more than a day or two. Two inches of snow - and school's cancelled!

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Looks lovely!

I'll have to settle with a big lunch on the beach or something. It's far too hot to stay indoors.
Oh wait, I think its morning at the beach, and dinner at my aunt's house.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Kathryn,

I just can't imagine Christmas in the middle of summer!
Imagine what trouble Mary and Jesus went through to give you this time of the year to celebrate.
They probably did not have enough warm clothes and that too in a manger.nothing much to hide from the weather.
However, life itself is celebration at all times, am one with it at all times with its celebration!!!
Love & rgds

Kathryn

Well, come to think of it - Christmas in Germany is pretty hard to beat. Those Germans really know how to do Christmas up right!

Kriskindlemarkt in the town of Aschaffenburg where I used to live:

4871027111_b9bb6ee437.jpg

xmasmarkt-jen.jpg

5235720492_9b8be8928b.jpg

snow2.jpg

Potato pancakes! (latkes)

And hot spiced wine...
images

Nice....

Kathryn

Very nice! Salt Lake City is a beautiful city in the wintertime. I was there in February one year and it was LOVELY - snow everywhere and very friendly people. I walked around downtown for hours every night just admiring the quiet beauty of the city.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Very nice! Salt Lake City is a beautiful city in the wintertime. I was there in February one year and it was LOVELY - snow everywhere and very friendly people. I walked around downtown for hours every night just admiring the quiet beauty of the city.
I wish I'd "known" you then, Kathryn. I would have loved to meet you in person and shown you around town. If you liked Salt Lake City in February (which is probably just about the ugliest month of the year around here), you'd love it even more in the spring, summer or fall. Let me know if you ever come back, okay?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Heh, we close school if they even think it's going to snow!
Oh my goodness! If we did that, we'd have to change the school year around completely. School would be held between April 18 and November 6 and dismissed for the rest of the year.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Oh my goodness! If we did that, we'd have to change the school year around completely. School would be held between April 18 and November 6 and dismissed for the rest of the year.

Yeah, but we only get noticeable snowfall once every few years. The kids typically only miss a day or two (if that) at most per year, which they make up during spring break.

We have a couple of snow plows for the county, but I think they've lost the keys....

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yeah, but we only get noticeable snowfall once every few years. The kids typically only miss a day or two (if that) at most per year, which they make up during spring break.

We have a couple of snow plows for the county, but I think they've lost the keys....
Hmmm... ***makes mental note to move to North Carolina*** :)