• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church Suppression of the Bible

MotoEric

Hi,

Can someone shed some light on the truth regarding the Protestant claims of the Church suppressing the Bible, outlawing the reading of the Bible and so on.

I'm assuming that any proscriptions were against the Protestant versions of the Bible.

Thanks,

Eric

athanasius

Catholics never outlawed the reading of the bible. They outlawed certain editions of the bible that were translated incorrectly by reformers. Versions where the word "Only" was added to the word Faith in Rom 3:28. That one word changes the whole entire meaning of the doctrine of the bible. We are not supposed to add to the word of God. The church is the bibles guardian and the guardian of all truth because the Catholic church is the Pillar and foundation of all truth(1 Tim 3:15). The Catholic church is the biggest promoter of scripture and always has been. We wrote it(at least the new testament), copied it, passed it on, and canonized it in 382 At the council of Rome under Pope Damasus I. If it was not for the Catholic Church and her popes and traditions the world would never of even known what the bible was. Protestants only know the bible because of us. Martin Luther admitted that. St Augustine also did in the 4th century. fundamentalist always spread rumors about us keeping the scriptures away from people. Bugt htose are just lies.

A great book to read that dispels those historical myths is called
"Were We got the Bible our Debt to The Catholic Church".

The Author Henry Graham was a former protestant who studied history and came to realize that thee Catholic church always promoted the scriptures. And then he converted to the Church.

Here is a article that explain what I said in more detail. Enjoy and God bless you Eric!

Did the Catholic Church forbid Christians from Reading the Bible? at Deo Omnis Gloria

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Bible was suppressed in England to the extent it was not available to the general population.
The only authorised version was in Latin and reserved to the Church.
Some scholars and great Catholic families did have their own copies.

Even in Church the Bible was read in Latin, and understood by very very few.
The only bible stories you heard in English were explanations given in sermons.

The eventual spread of protestant bible in English, Prompted the reading of the Official bible in English in the churches.

athanasius

The Bible was suppressed in England to the extent it was not available to the general population.
The only authorised version was in Latin and reserved to the Church.
Some scholars and great Catholic families did have their own copies.

Even in Church the Bible was read in Latin, and understood by very very few.
The only bible stories you heard in English were explanations given in sermons.

The eventual spread of protestant bible in English, Prompted the reading of the Official bible in English in the churches.

This is a misconception and the article I have above proves it.

Here is a excerpt.

........"The Church also translated Bibles into the vernacular. Often you will hear things such as “Wycliff was the first to translate the Bible into English,” but this is simply untrue. We can cite a contemporary, Saint Thomas More the Lord Chancellor of England who was martyred:

.........The whole Bible long before Wycliff’s day was by virtuous and well-learned men translated into the English tongue, and by good and godly people with devotion and soberness well and reverently read.” - - Dialogues III"

Did the Catholic Church forbid Christians from Reading the Bible? at Deo Omnis Gloria

English copies and reading of scripture go way farther back than what you suggested. The first English copy of scripture for the laity dates back to the 8th century. Also Check this out.

Tyndale's Heresy (This Rock: December 2002)

athanasius

I have just noticed I have been answering in a catholic Forum
I have moved my posts to a new thread. I have left my first reply as it would disrupt yours to remove it
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/same-faith-debates/56532-suppression-bible.html#post932579

Sorry Terry

I appreciate your response. The article explains why they were chained. They were chained because it took years for them to copy them and the printing press wasn't available yet. The bible was precious and since there may have been only a few copies we chained them to libraries so no one could steal them. Period. Not to hide them away. Once the printing press became available we printed many. As a matter of fact the first bible to be printed by the press was a Catholic bible.

As far as Selective reporting goes.... Henry Graham was a minister in the Church of england who studied the history of the bible and realized all the errors people were teaching in his church about this subject. He converted to catholicism and wrote a book on the history of scripture and refuted the errors that you mentioned. What kind of selective reporting did he have, as he saw this when he was a anglican?

The book is called "Were we got the Bible Our debt to the Catholic Church"

Amazon.com: Where We Got the Bible: Books: Henry G. Graham

MotoEric

Thanks once again for the information.

I appreciate the members of the RF as a resource, but please know that I try to do the as much research on my own as possible. I realize that you have other things to do than sit around and answer my questions. : )

Eric

athanasius

Thanks once again for the information.

I appreciate the members of the RF as a resource, but please know that I try to do the as much research on my own as possible. I realize that you have other things to do than sit around and answer my questions. : )

Eric

You are welcome. Check that book out by graham. its worth a read.