• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming of Age

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I don't know that we do, do we? :confused:

I would think that perhaps individual UU churches might recognize their teens coming of age in some sort of special way if they choose to. But as far as I know, there is not set way of doing this. Definitely nothing dramatic like the Jewish Bar Mitzvah.

In my religion, every year on the anniversary of the youth's birth, we illuminate a cake with a number of candles corresponding to the person's age. Wrapped gifts of sweaters and socks are given, as well as cards from relatives with five dollar bills in them.

The coming of age ceremony is one of the most sacred rites in my religion.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I was born into the Presbyterian denomination, and the coming of age ceremony there was confirmation. There were a few class sessions during which Presbyterianism was explained to us, followed by a small ceremony one Sunday that took place as part of the regular church service. I recall we wore white robes for the ceremony, and perhaps we even held candles. Beyond that, I recall nothing. In hindsight, it doesn't seem like much.

I wonder why our society overall doesn't have much in the way of coming of age ceremonies? Such ceremonies are a vital part of many cultures, but not -- on the whole -- ours.

anders

"celebrate coming of age"??

The age corresponding to my dictionaries' translating of "coming of age" has been 15, 18, 20 and 21 in Sweden. I have never heard of any celebration corresponding to attaining that age.

Runt

Anders--

"Coming of age" socially usually refers to one or more ages at which a person obtains legal rights: 16, 18, and 21, for example... but religiously "coming of age" refers to the age at which a child becomes an adult in the eyes of their religion: religions may consider that age to be 13 (Judaism, I believe), 16 (UU Church), and 18 (some Wiccan covens).

Maize--

There is some kind of little ritual in the UU Church. My congregation has a mentorship program for high school students (I believe 16 years old) that basically teaches them about "being adults" and ends with a ceremony where they cross a symbolic bridge. It is not much, but it is something, and I'm willing to bet it is significant for the kids who go through it.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
coming of age in Native societies usually happens much earlier than in 'modern' or 'western' culture. When a girl has her first mensus she has her 'coming of age' ceremony.
It celebrates her entry into womanhood and her ability to bring new life into the world.

specific ceremonies ofcource vary with individual cultures but they usually include the young woman being taught to care for herself and lessons on the responcibilities of being an adult

For boys it was harder to define, 'becoming a man' as men do not go though the same definate 'adult' moment. But rights of passage out of childhood are common in many societies.

wa:do

standing_on_one_foot

Um...essentially, work and study like crazy for several months, turn thirteen, read Torah, maybe lead a service and give a speech and all that stuff, and then have a ridiculously huge party. And eat a lot. And have fun with your friends. And then tease your friends about being nervous when it's their turn =P Ah, good memories there.