• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming out about taoism

windcarver

I have been following the path of taoism for a while now, and i am postive it is the right path for me. although, I was raised a Christian, so my parents don't know I'm a taoist. I really want to tell them, but I'm so afraid that they won't take me seriously. I am positive they'll think it's just a teenage phase, and I would have no idea as to how to convince them otherwise.

I also don't know how to tell them. I can't just walk up and say "Hi mom! I'm a taoist!". I have no idea how to even bring it up. I'm so nervous. I think they'll accept me, but that still doesn't stop me from being afraid. I just wish I was raised taoist.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Don't let it worry you if they don't take you seriously. After all, you're following it because it's right for you, not to prove to them that it's right for you. :) If you're like me and really shy, you could print off an informative article about Taoism to get your parents to read, or even hand them the Tao Te Ching, Chuang Tzu, or any other Taoist books you have and ask them to skim it and say that's what you believe now.

I'd also like to mention that it's okay if this is just a phase for you. Christianity and paganism were phases for me, and this may very well be a phase for me now. The important thing is that it's something that lets you learn.

Master Vigil

I understand where you're coming from. My parents weren't really hard to tell, but my priest was. :D He was the central figure that led me into the priesthood, so telling him felt almost like betrayal. I would suggest outlining a good reason(s) for why you are choosing Taoism now. Like, "The Chinese have a concept called Wu Wei, and it is like a stream. The stream doesn't know where it's going, why it's going there, or how it's getting there. But it get's there effortlessly. No stress, no worries, no problems. It is just peaceful. This is Taoism. And this is why I have chosen to be Taoist, I want to be in peace, like the stream."

You know, something like that.

evearael

Just see if you can start some sort of dialog about religion and philosophy in general with your parents. Let them know how appreciative you are about how supportive they've been in the past, and how you have found something that speaks to you. Giving them a bit of background in Taoism would be beneficial, tailored to their level of interest and attention span. The important things to remember are 1) don't spring it on them out of the blue, because the result is too unpredicatable, 2) let them know you are not rejecting them by choosing a different faith, 3) Taoism isn't a cult.

Honesty is the best policy, I hope your parents are big enough people to respect you for it.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Master Vigil said:
You know, something like that.
... how did you get so good with words....

Just don't tell them ;) YmirGF's suggestion of showing them through your acts imho IS the best way... it's how Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu taught, it's how Jesus taught, and it's how Bhudda taught too. If your folks need to actually talk about Taoism it'll come up eventually when the time is right.

The true Tao cannot be followed.

The true Tao cannot be explained.

Does a rock
need say
I am a rock?

Be what you are.

That is the true Tao.

Ori

Angel slayer
windcarver said:
I have been following the path of taoism for a while now, and i am postive it is the right path for me. although, I was raised a Christian, so my parents don't know I'm a taoist. I really want to tell them, but I'm so afraid that they won't take me seriously. I am positive they'll think it's just a teenage phase, and I would have no idea as to how to convince them otherwise.

I also don't know how to tell them. I can't just walk up and say "Hi mom! I'm a taoist!". I have no idea how to even bring it up. I'm so nervous. I think they'll accept me, but that still doesn't stop me from being afraid. I just wish I was raised taoist.

Do your parents like Star Wars? If so you have your foot in the door at least.

windcarver

Master Vigil said:
I stopped relying on them. :D

So any news yet Windcarver?

not yet.... but I hope so soon.

Also, thank you all for replying. I really appreciate your support. when I do tell them, though, I'll be sure to reply again with how it went.

Reactions: Ori

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
some advise? dont listen to that Chrisp character... he's a sheep in Taoist clothing :p

Everyone else's ideas are great though :D

Master Vigil

windcarver said:
not yet.... but I hope so soon.

Also, thank you all for replying. I really appreciate your support. when I do tell them, though, I'll be sure to reply again with how it went.
Looking forward to it. :D Oh, and good luck.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Buttons* said:
some advise? dont listen to that Chrisp character... he's a sheep in Taoist clothing :p

Everyone else's ideas are great though :D
... taoists are sheep silly :)

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Good luck Windcarver! :)

When I 'came out', it was a gradual and spontaneous process. I simply allowed myself to begin outwardly embodying Taoist principles around my family, not for any real aim but just because it was me. It took a while but I eventually saw how silly it was to try and hide my Taoism away from everyone, as if it was an alien and separate of part of me to be ashamed of. Now I freely read books on Tao in the garden. Take that social conventions! :p I only actually bothered to tell my (Christian) Dad that I was a Taoist a few weeks back on the spur of the moment. It went well, I think partly because he'd already seen how it had already benefitted me.

Personally, I've generally found that planning things like this too much just causes hassle and worry. Go with the flow, or at least let the flow go... ;)

(I've just remembered how much I dislike relying solely on the word 'Taoism', but anything else sounds either pompous or meaningless :()

However you chose to reveal this, I'm sure everything will be fine.

windcarver

I swear I will tell them tonight ... if I get a chance. I was going to tell them on the weekend, but they were in an extremely sour mood so I held it off. I don't even know what I'll say yet, but I can just make something up. Keep posted!

windcarver

okay, I finally told them. I think it went well, I don't remember actually. Just an overwhelming experience of emotion ... whatever, maybe once I can think straight I'll come back and try to make sense out of this.

windcarver

ok. I'm back. Finally. I haven't been here for awhile, and I almost forgot about this post. well, it actually went very well. on my last reply, it sort of sounded like it didnt, but that was just because I posted that immediatley after I told them, so I was kind of overwhelmed. anyways, they are trying to read more about taoism, so they know what its about. my mom even talked to our church's minister about how to support me! they still don't know much about the religion, yet, but they still basically understand it, and support my decision.