• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conceptions of Anubis

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
When you think of Anubis, as in Anubis of Ancient Egypt, what thoughts or ideas or concepts (if any) spring to mind?

I'm not looking for any particularly in-depth or researched answers, just any immediate mental connections that may occur. As both a follower of the Kemetic path and one who is currently writing a little article on the historical and mythological understandings of Anubis, I'd find any responses interesting, informative and useful. :)

I'm also trying hard to avoid writing anything that would especially influence people's responses; 'tis more difficult then I thought it would be...

Booko

Deviled Hen
Nordicßearskin;873687 said:
When you think of Anubis, as in Anubis of Ancient Egypt, what thoughts or ideas or concepts (if any) spring to mind?

At the risk of sounding terribly flip (and I don't mean to be at all), the most contact I have with Anubis is as a blue dog from www.neopets.com. :cover:

I understand why they named their petpet Anubis, and the graphic is obviously patterned after the Egyptian god, but I'm always a bit queasy about swiping a religion's symbols and figures in such a way. It seems rather...disrespectul.

Anubis also shows up in DeMille's Ten Commandments, which I've seen of course. Considering the subject matter, they don't dwell on it beyond showing a statue, and there's the implication you'd expect that Anubis is powerless.

I'm not looking for any particularly in-depth or researched answers, just any immediate mental connections that may occur. As both a follower of the Kemetic path and one who is currently writing a little article on the historical and mythological understandings of Anubis, I'd find any responses interesting, informative and useful. :)
I'm not sure you'll find my answer so useful, but I figured I would answer.

I'm more acquainted with Greek and Norse pantheons. I've never been too interested in Egyptian pagan religion or history generally, so my knowledge comes up really short there.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason

Sarcophagi
Dog-like being
Underworld
Afterlife
Protection

eudaimonia,

Mark

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers

I'm also trying hard to avoid writing anything that would especially influence people's responses; 'tis more difficult then I thought it would be...
When i was kemetic i thought of Anubis as a kind, friendly deity. The companion of the newly deceased, i imagined he would be like an elderly relative holding the hand of a young child and providing a comforting presence during the trial of the heart.

Not sure if that's a particularly common view, or one supported by scholarship though.

Ðanisty

You're probably not going to like this answer, but honestly, the FIRST thing that comes to mind is White Wolf's Werewolf: The Apocalypse game...Silent Striders particularly.

Pariah

Let go
The first picture that pops into my head is that of Anubis bending over the deceased.

anubis.jpg

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
The first picture that pops into my head is that of Anubis bending over the deceased.

*smiles*

Ðanisty;875132 said:
You're probably not going to like this answer

Given the views I hold on the Netjer, I really wouldn't be worried about offending or upsetting me...

Master Tung Kwo asked Chaung:
"Show me where the Tao is found."
Chuang Tzu replied:
"There is nowhere it is not found."
The former insisted:
"Show me at least some definite place
Where Tao is found."
"It is in the ant," said Chaung.
"Is it in some lesser being?"
"It is in the weeds."
"Can you go further down the scale of things?"
"It is in this piece of tile."
"Further?"
"It is in this turd."
At this Tung Kwo had nothing more to say.

@Everyone - Thank you for your responses, as a matter of fact, all of them have been enjoyable and interesting. :)