• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confused about which religion would fit my beliefs

KeeraBaby

Hi everyone! I would like to share my beliefs, disbeliefs, values, etc. I hope someone will be able to help me out on which religion might be best for me based on my beliefs, disbeliefs, values, etc. I've narrowed myself down to five religions which are Shamanism, Buddhism, Wiccan, Hinduism, and Taoism. I believe that there is deities, angels, spirits, fairy's, creatures, etc. I however don't believe in the devil/Satan. I have a weird thought that maybe the deities came from two angels who had sex, but it was just a thought I'm not sure if I truly believe it. I do believe that when you die you shouldn't be punished if you never followed a religion or followed the right one. I believe you should have the choice to go to heaven or hell, the summer land, reach nirvana if possible and you follow the Buddha's teachings, or have the option to be reincarnated again. I believe whatever afterlife each religion has as long as you meet their criteria you should be able to choose whatever afterlife you want. I also believe no one should suffer from accidental mistakes if your a good person and harm none you should be able to do what you want. I believe in karma if you do something wrong to someone then you will get what you deserve for harming whoever or whatever it is you hurt. I don't believe in heaven or hell because if supposedly God loves all and forgives all (if they ask for forgiveness.) Why should someone suffer in hell for eternity for making a mistake and forgetting to ask for forgiveness? If "God is love" then why does he punish people and send them to hell? I value living life how you want not how anyone else wants you to. I value love and nature. Yoga and meditation is important to me because I want to find my true self within and I'll work on finding it until I achieve my goal, plus I love yoga and meditation haha. My favorite is lighting incense and candles and meditating. If I found a religion for me I would want to give thanks to the Gods/deities in a special way, maybe in some type of ritual way. I believe if you do good and are kind to everyone and everything in life good things will come back around to you. I also believe you shouldn't try so hard at everything because whatever's meant to happen will happen. Some of my priorities are working on my mental health, self care, finding the truth within myself, and being nice to everyone and everything on and off this earth all spirits, creatures, etc. If I found a religion right for me I would make that one of my priorities. Another priority of mine is working hard. I need a lot of structure in my life or else I slack off. I believe suffering is caused by getting our hopes up for things that may never happen. We need to learn to be happy and love ourselves and everyone and everything around us. I find magick extremely intriguing, it is one thing I can say I believe in 100% I would love to start practicing, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet I still have a lot to learn. I find Shamanism very intriguing as well although I don't know a whole lot about it.

Okay that's all I could think of at the moment I'm sorry if its a little long. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and answer my post.

Jumi

Interesting why do you say those three to eliminate? Just curious.
Taoism and Buddhism don't deal with gods, at least in the way you describe. I'm pretty sure most Buddhism as a whole finds magic either useless or negative. Also, your attitude to spirituality doesn't seem to match traditional shamanism and the two I mentioned before. Wicca and Hinduism I don't know enough about to say. Both seem very inclusive.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Use common sense.
Just kidding as I realize common sense isn't common. :>)
Compare your personal values with the values of religions you are considering.
Just a suggestion.
I would investigate the history of the religion also.
Most religions had a very violent and bloody past but how have they
morphed over time into the value system they have today?
Or have they morphed into something that creates conflict today more than in
the past?

Tmac

It sounds to me like you already know what you want, it doesn't have to have a name. God isn't any religion although it can be found in all of them.

GoodbyeDave

You're obviously a pagan of some sort; you sound too life-affirming to be a Buddhist. Hinduism and Chinese religion are not always easy to practice outside an Indian or Chinese community, unless you don't mind your religion being solitary. Wiccan groups are something you can always find and you should also consider Druidry.
https://druidnetwork.org/what-is-druidry/

Shamanism isn't a religion (contrary to what some popular writers assert): it's a practice within various religions. And you can't just say "I'm going to be a shaman". You need to have the ability, the spirits need to accept you, and you need help from experts to train. I've been reading a book about Buryat shamans: one woman who discovered she was going to be one as a teenager said it had terrified her at first, before she was sent to a teacher.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's safe to say that you can eliminate Buddhism, Taoism and Shamanism from the list.

I don't know about that. Buddhism and Taoism are fairly crawling with deities, though not a deity in the Abrahamic sense. Heck, even Hinduism doesn't really have one; Brahmā is neither omnipotent nor immortal. I have little to no knowledge of Shamanism but I'd wager there are varieties with deities of some sort.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Taoism and Buddhism don't deal with gods, at least in the way you describe. I'm pretty sure most Buddhism as a whole finds magic either useless or negative. Also, your attitude to spirituality doesn't seem to match traditional shamanism and the two I mentioned before. Wicca and Hinduism I don't know enough about to say. Both seem very inclusive.

Ok, now I understand your previous comment.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know about that. Buddhism and Taoism are fairly crawling with deities, though not a deity in the Abrahamic sense. Heck, even Hinduism doesn't really have one; Brahmā is neither omnipotent nor immortal. I have little to no knowledge of Shamanism but I'd wager there are varieties with deities of some sort.

I think Shamanism deals more with Spirits. Similar to a spiritualist but they have a direct connection with the spirits (I think of the deceased) and a medium between this world and their world, for lack of better words. Many cultural religions have a form of Shamanism since it's not a religion in and of itself. I mean, I want to go into Shamanism but can't remember if that is different than a Spiritualist because either I communicate with the deceased but I think Shamanism is more of someone who gives advice or healing to others while a Spiritualist works with the deceased but not necessarily one to be a "wise man" within a given cultural group.

My thoughts.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I thought a bit of what you said. My overall advice is Letter B; but, then again...
I've narrowed myself down to five religions which are Shamanism, Buddhism, Wiccan, Hinduism, and Taoism.

I believe that there is deities, angels, spirits, fairy's, creatures, etc. I however don't believe in the devil/Satan.

What do you mean by angels, spirits, fairies, and creatures? How do you define deities?

This sounds more Wicca (deities and fairies part) or Pagan (deities and spirits part). I don't know where angels and creatures fit in. The only place I know about angels is Abrahamic traditions. Creatures, umm...
I have a weird thought that maybe the deities came from two angels who had sex, but it was just a thought I'm not sure if I truly believe it.
Where did you come to that belief? Did it pop up or read it somewhere? Maybe, if you read it, delve more into that? Some Pagan religions have some very weird stories but many tell about morality rather than taken literally.
I do believe that when you die you shouldn't be punished if you never followed a religion or followed the right one.
This sounds Christian influenced. You have hundreds of religions that don't believe this; so, you're in good hands.
I believe you should have the choice to go to heaven or hell, the summer land, reach nirvana if possible and you follow the Buddha's teachings, or have the option to be reincarnated again.
Each of these are very different. How do you define heaven and hell? Maybe try to pull yourself from abrahamic thought? Have you read the sutras or suttas about nibanna? How do you define it? Summerland sounds Wiccan rather than Pagan. It's not heaven or hell nor nibanna for sure. How do you define it? Reincarnation sounds Hindu but I don't think you are leaning that direction.

Maybe, as with above, define the terms first. Not by definitions you read but the definitions you have.

I believe whatever afterlife each religion has as long as you meet their criteria you should be able to choose whatever afterlife you want.
This is a tricky one because even though some religions are respectful to others while other religions are disrectful, believing in nibanna and the summerland would be a contradiction. Then, if you can believe in anything, does it make common sense to you? Do you believe it is a fact that these things exist or is it something you're interested in or something you take in without relating it to life today? How does it relate to you and how you live your life? Does one or two of these beliefs reflect your morals? Which ones are facts and which ones are beliefs?

I also believe no one should suffer from accidental mistakes if your a good person and harm none you should be able to do what you want.
Most religions believe this.
I believe in karma if you do something wrong to someone then you will get what you deserve for harming whoever or whatever it is you hurt.
Maybe that is the Wiccan (or Hindu?) view of karma, I don't know. I'd look more into the definition of it and see if it makes common sense to you. It's not a Buddhist thought from what I studied and experienced. Instead, Karma are actions. So what we do creates reactions like putting your finger in a lake to make ripples. There isn't a "do harm in return" but it's a consequence of our actions that are not anything special than my stealing a cookie and the consequence is being arrested or fined. That, and maybe you will receive other people's good karmas to counteract bad actions you make. Karma influences everyone regardless if it's bad or good.

How do you define it and is it common sense when you study it in the sutras or a belief you're interested in?
I don't believe in heaven or hell because if supposedly God loves all and forgives all (if they ask for forgiveness.) Why should someone suffer in hell for eternity for making a mistake and forgetting to ask for forgiveness?

This is different than what you mentioned above. You said that whatever afterlife summerland, reincarnation, etc you would believe it if you agree with the belief system. Heaven and hell are no different. Maybe look into other Abrahamic beliefs or god-focused beliefs that have nothing to do with Christian and any other abrahamic thought. Maybe you still believe in god(s) but you find it hard to unattached yourself from the abrahamic concept of it.

Maybe find a religion to where god does forgive and doesn't give consequences for not doing so. In my experience, god doesn't give consequences but we feel the guilt and the consequences come from us not from god because it is our actions that cause it. Whether that's an abrahamic belief I don't know. I'm Buddhist, so that's my point of view.

How do you define the abrahamic god? What do you believe from Christianity (or whatever abrahamic faith you are/where in)? Do you think you are struggling with concepts of your former faith rather than trying to find a new one?

f "God is love" then why does he punish people and send them to hell?
The questions you ask pretty much is why I ask the above question.
I value living life how you want not how anyone else wants you to.
This is hard in most religious traditions because most is about following and discipline from Christianity and Paganism to Buddhist and Hindu. A lot are developed around tradition; so, unless you fly solo, there is some following you have to do to understand the nature of the religion itself.

I value love and nature. Yoga and meditation is important to me because I want to find my true self within and I'll work on finding it until I achieve my goal, plus I love yoga and meditation haha.
Buddhism is likened to this and other eastern faiths. It's not a foundation for them, but I'm not you so you could make it a foundation and forget finding a faith that mirrors this. Just live your life with the morals you have, turn them into actions, without needing to label it.
My favorite is lighting incense and candles and meditating. If I found a religion for me I would want to give thanks to the Gods/deities in a special way, maybe in some type of ritual way.
This sounds Pagan and Wiccan. However, how would you relate to the gods? Are you equal to them when you give thanks? Above? Below? What does god(s) mean to you? What does rituals mean to you? How do you associate rituals in your everyday life? Religion isn't separate from your life if you choose to follow one. It's supposed to be your life.
I believe if you do good and are kind to everyone and everything in life good things will come back around to you.
Same as the karma above. You can do good and still experience bad things. Karma is just actions. Buddhism is about cause and affect from those actions. Some Wiccan traditions if not all say do bad and you get three times bad in return. Maybe you're leaning towards that?
Some of my priorities are working on my mental health, self care, finding the truth within myself, and being nice to everyone and everything on and off this earth all spirits, creatures, etc.
Religion would help with this if you decide to live it.
Another priority of mine is working hard. I need a lot of structure in my life or else I slack off. I believe suffering is caused by getting our hopes up for things that may never happen.
Finding a disciplined oriented religion would support this. Are you structured or do you like flexibility?
We need to learn to be happy and love ourselves and everyone and everything around us. I
Most religions believe this.
I find magick extremely intriguing, it is one thing I can say I believe in 100% I would love to start practicing, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet I still have a lot to learn
How do you define magick? Why magick with a k? Most religions have magic. Defining it will help you find what religion practices it in the manner you'd like.
I find Shamanism very intriguing as well although I don't know a whole lot about it.
How do you define spirits? As in another posts, being a Shaman requires a teacher. Maybe be a Spiritualist. Look into that. Go to a spiritualist church. They don't believe in deities, though, so...

Anyway, I think Paganism, Universalism, doing your own thing, would work for you. Buddhism maybe not given the discipline involved and depending on how you defined deities. The purpose of Buddhism seems to contrast with your list of beliefs. Universalism gives you freedom to be with a community while living your own beliefs. You don't need a label. However, I guess it helps so you don't have to write an essay to explain what you believe.

GoodbyeDave

What on earth does THAT mean?
Buddhism declares that incarnate life is a life of suffering or dissatisfaction and that our goal should be to avoid rebirth (see any copy of the Four Noble Truths). Since the OP doesn't seem to find this world a place of woe, I said that they needed a more life-affirming religion. How could you not understand that? "Bainne na mbó ar na gamhna"?