• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservative Forum for Unitarian Universalists

GloriaPatri

http://www.cfuu.org/

I just stumbled across these guys. They seem like a pretty good group, for UU's. ;)

Their aim "is to allow members of the UUA to search for religious truth and meaning in society regardless of one's point of view relating to politics, economics, or social issues."

What are some of the UU's thoughts on these guys?

GloriaPatri

Maize said:
:shrug: They're UUs doing what UUs do.

Are they contrary to traditional UUs? I admit I don't know much about UUs.

Did they form that organization because the other UU organizations are too political?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
GloriaPatri said:

Did they form that organization because the other UU organizations are too political?
I have no idea.

Many people think we are all political liberals and it's true many are, but it would be foolish to assume there are not some conservatives and other political ideaologies as well, because there definitely are.

uumckk16

GloriaPatri said:
http://www.cfuu.org/

I just stumbled across these guys. They seem like a pretty good group, for UU's. ;)

Their aim "is to allow members of the UUA to search for religious truth and meaning in society regardless of one's point of view relating to politics, economics, or social issues."

What are some of the UU's thoughts on these guys?

Cool! I think it's good. I think sometimes us UUs need a reminder that we aren't all liberal politically ;)

uu_sage

Agreed. Politics, as with our individual theologies, we must remember to agree to disagree.And we need not think alike, to love alike. The Conservative forum allows us to be reminded of our diversity, and allowing greater freedom of conscience.
uumckk16 said:
Cool! I think it's good. I think sometimes us UUs need a reminder that we aren't all liberal politically ;)
</IMG>

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
GloriaPatri said:

I wouldn't think that they formed the organization because we are too political. Perhaps they felt we are too partisan. In which case, they may advocate for alternative policies or just that we be aware that there are a diversity of valid viewpoints among us; but I would be very surprised if they were against us being involved in politics completely.

It is entirely in keeping with our tradition to be political. That is, to be involved in politics and to try to get our society to reflect the values that we hold. As a religion that has focused on the needs of this world (as opposed to a possible next world), being in politics is an expression of our faith. Unitarian ministers were at the forefront of the call for declaring independance from England. Unitarians and Universalists were active in the abolitionist and suffrage movements, as well as advocating for the Social Gospel. Our involvement in the civil rights movement (where our minister James Reeb was killed) of the 60s, the anti-apartheid movement of the 80s, and our current political involvements now are all within the same proud tradition.

btw, we UUs love the liberation theology movement from Latin America. It's not like Catholics have not been political. ;)