• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contemporary Messenger Wanted

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I wish a spiritual writer, with great wisdom and popularity, from our day and age would come along and write about what they think on topics like how we got here and where we’re going. Someone great with words and storytelling for our time. Someone with their own ideas. Someone with courage. I’d love to read what they would have to say. Too bad there’s no one. It’s been far too long.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I wish a spiritual writer, with great wisdom and popularity, from our day and age would come along and write about what they think on topics like how we got here and where we’re going. Someone great with words and storytelling for our time. Someone with courage. I’d love to read what they would have to say. Too bad there’s no one. It’s been far too long.
There are, if you look for it.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Not necessarily. I'm more familiar with the Dharmic outlook, so I wouldn't really know who to suggest for you.
I’m not talking about Dharmik outlook or Christian outlook. I’m talking about a contemporary outlook with new ideas about today’s reality.

rocala

Here is an idea. Why don't you do some studying and see what you can come up with? You could set yourself a target of, say, three books a month, keep and regularly review notes and who knows, in a year you could have something of value to write about.

It has to be better than what you are doing now.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I wish a spiritual writer, with great wisdom and popularity, from our day and age would come along and write about what they think on topics like how we got here and where we’re going. Someone great with words and storytelling for our time. Someone with their own ideas. Someone with courage. I’d love to read what they would have to say. Too bad there’s no one. It’s been far too long.
Be your own hero. Beat your own path in life.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
But you already know of me?

I don’t understand the issue then, because I am right here.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
The Celestine Prophecy, by James Redfield is a thought provoking philosophy written in novel form, and though Christianity is in the story, the philosophy, for me, was fresh and not "Christian" in the mainstream.

It's a 4 book series, but so far, I've only read book #1

The book blurb:

In the rain forests of Peru, an ancient manuscript has been discovered. Within its pages are 9 key insights into life itself -- insights each human being is predicted to grasp sequentially; one insight, then another, as we move toward a completely spiritual culture on Earth.

Drawing on ancient wisdom, it tells you how to make connections among the events happening in your life right now and lets you see what is going to happen to you in the years to come. The story it tells is a gripping one of adventure and discovery, but it is also a guidebook that has the power to crystallize your perceptions of why you are where you are in life and to direct your steps with a new energy and optimism as you head into tomorrow.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
The Celestine Prophecy, by James Redfield is a thought provoking philosophy written in novel form, and though Christianity is in the story, the philosophy, for me, was fresh and not "Christian" in the mainstream.

The book blurb:

In the rain forests of Peru, an ancient manuscript has been discovered. Within its pages are 9 key insights into life itself -- insights each human being is predicted to grasp sequentially; one insight, then another, as we move toward a completely spiritual culture on Earth.

Drawing on ancient wisdom, it tells you how to make connections among the events happening in your life right now and lets you see what is going to happen to you in the years to come. The story it tells is a gripping one of adventure and discovery, but it is also a guidebook that has the power to crystallize your perceptions of why you are where you are in life and to direct your steps with a new energy and optimism as you head into tomorrow.
It’s about various psychological and spiritual ideas rooted in multiple ancient Eastern traditions and New Age spirituality. Thanks but not what I’m looking for.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

The book blurb:

I've got that on the bookshelf. Think I found it in a pile of free books. Have yet to read it.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
For an essay voice, I recommend Loren Eiseley. He is most well known for his piece, "The Star Thrower."
Here's a book blurb on his collected works:
To read Loren Eiseley (1907–1977) is to renew a sense of wonder at the miracles and paradoxes of evolution and the ever-changing diversity of life. At the height of a distinguished career as a “bone-hunter” and paleontologist, Eiseley turned from fieldwork and scientific publication to the personal essay in six remarkable books that are masterpieces of prose style. Weaving together anecdote, philosophical reflection, and keen observation with the soul and skill of a poet, Eiseley offers a brilliant, companionable introduction to the sciences, paving the way for writers like Carl Sagan, Stephen Jay Gould, and Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Here's a link to a preview read of one of his books:

Jimmy

Veteran Member
For an essay voice, I recommend Loren Eiseley. He is most well known for his piece, "The Star Thrower."
Here's a book blurb on his collected works:
To read Loren Eiseley (1907–1977) is to renew a sense of wonder at the miracles and paradoxes of evolution and the ever-changing diversity of life. At the height of a distinguished career as a “bone-hunter” and paleontologist, Eiseley turned from fieldwork and scientific publication to the personal essay in six remarkable books that are masterpieces of prose style. Weaving together anecdote, philosophical reflection, and keen observation with the soul and skill of a poet, Eiseley offers a brilliant, companionable introduction to the sciences, paving the way for writers like Carl Sagan, Stephen Jay Gould, and Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Here's a link to a preview read of one of his books:
Thanks. I briefly just looked it over but it’s not what I’m looking for. I appreciate your effort.