• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooking with Bacon Grease: So Unhealthy, but so Good

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Does anyone else do this? Cook with bacon grease? And let's not try to pretend it's healthy :areyoucra but it is good :D

Rakhel

I just recently used beef bacon grease. It was a first for me. Never a big fan of pork or to much grease in my food anyways, but It was the first time I had cooked with beef bacon so I had to try it.

Rainbow Mage

I just recently used beef bacon grease. It was a first for me. Never a big fan of pork or to much grease in my food anyways, but It was the first time I had cooked with beef bacon so I had to try it.

Was it good?

Rakhel

Yes it was. I am not too sure how to turn it into gravy yet. Though my gravy always comes out too thick no matter what I do. I have to buy the canned or jarred gravy if I want any, that's how bad my gravy is.

Rainbow Mage

I bet it'll be good, whatever you choose to do with it. As for gravy, you could just start out browning your flour as usual, but then use the grease for part of the stock or whatever you normally use for yours.

Rakhel

I'll leave the gravy making to my husband.
I can cook and bake and make just about anything you throw at me but gravy.... forget it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I've fried some bacon and then fried some portabellas in the grease, then put both on burgers with some steak sauce. Good stuff.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Let's get out terms straight. Bacon grease can't be healthy or unhealthy -- it's not even alive.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I have started cooking stuff in bacon grease lately. I only do it because I am on the Atkins diet and I can pretty much drink bacon grease and still lose weight. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I prefer to scintillate the taste buds without clogging my arteries.
It's not that hard, providing you know how to cook.
Try flash frying things with water - it is an acquired skill, but you will be healthier for it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bacon grease has much in common with fine whisky & chocolate.
Used in moderation, they can be quite healthy....particularly for
mental health.

All things in moderation...

We save all grease for cooking, I use small amounts in soups, in Ramen noodles, for cooking eggs etc. I use all aged grease up in food for the cats and dogs.

The important thing to remember is not to get it too hot, fats change their chemistry when they reach to high a temperature, these modified fats are difficult for our body's to use properly.
The human body is incapable of making the fats that we need, the only way to get them is to eat them, bacon grease is only going to bad for you if it is chemically unuseable to your body or if you eat too much of it.