• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corban What is it?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The organization encourages us to apply the bibles counsel in all matters and put Jehovah first. The counsel it gives in how to treat a disfellowshipped one is from the bible, not the organization.

The brothers stick to the bible and so should we because it is God who wants it done that way.

But what if the Bible doesn't say what the governing body want it to say? What if they are interpreting it wrong? Is Jehovah so very forgiving?

Wherenextcolumbus

The organization encourages us to apply the bibles counsel in all matters and put Jehovah first. The counsel it gives in how to treat a disfellowshipped one is from the bible, not the organization.

The brothers stick to the bible and so should we because it is God who wants it done that way.

So the bible is saying to mostly shun family members if they leave then? And therefore the org encourages it's members to do so?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Guess what? The Bible says nothing about disagreeing with the faithful and discreet slave either.

Wherenextcolumbus

does your sister shun you?

I was never baptized, I just had a bible study as a child and went to several meetings, last meeting I went to was my sisters baptism, before that I think I was 18, so 6 years ago.
My sister could never shun me, she knows what side her bread is buttered :D

But I was never in it to leave it, basically.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So the bible is saying to mostly shun family members if they leave then? And therefore the org encourages it's members to do so?

“But now I am writing you to quit mixing in company [“not associate,” TEV] with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.”—1*Cor. 5:11

the scriptural counsel is not to associate with a 'brother' (meaning a baptized christian) who turns away from God by choosing a sinful course.

The congregation overseers were to uphold the rule that such ones be removed from the congregation:
“Remove the wicked man from among yourselves,” 1*Cor. 5:4, 13.

So thats the scriptures telling us to do this. If someone turns away to follow a sinful course, they are to be removed from being a member of the congregation and fellowship with the person is to cease until they return. Then the counsel changes to :
2Cor 2:6*This rebuke given by the majority is sufficient for such a man, 7*so that, on the contrary now, YOU should kindly forgive and comfort [him], that somehow such a man may not be swallowed up by his being overly sad. 8*Therefore I exhort YOU to confirm YOUR love for him.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I was never baptized, I just had a bible study as a child and went to several meetings, last meeting I went to was my sisters baptism, before that I think I was 18, so 6 years ago.
My sister could never shun me, she knows what side her bread is buttered :D

But I was never in it to leave it, basically.

right, so you at least know that we dont shun anybody just for the sake of it.

This occurs only in a specific case.... its the case as I just showed above.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
“But now I am writing you to quit mixing in company [“not associate,” TEV] with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.”—1*Cor. 5:11

the scriptural counsel is not to associate with a 'brother' (meaning a baptized christian) who turns away from God by choosing a sinful course.

The congregation overseers were to uphold the rule that such ones be removed from the congregation:
“Remove the wicked man from among yourselves,” 1*Cor. 5:4, 13.

So thats the scriptures telling us to do this. If someone turns away to follow a sinful course, they are to be removed from being a member of the congregation and fellowship with the person is to cease.

Wow. Hearing but deaf. MANY PEOPLE LEAVE IN OBEDIENCE TO PSALM !46:3. Are Jehovah's Witnesses calling obeying Psalm 146:3 A SIN????????????

Wherenextcolumbus

right, so you at least know that we dont shun anybody just for the sake of it.

This occurs only in a specific case.... its the case as I just showed above.

I know you don't shun every one, but people who leave the org even family members, that is all I was saying from the beginning.

peace

Wherenextcolumbus

Wow. Hearing but deaf. MANY PEOPLE LEAVE IN OBEDIENCE TO PSALM !46:3. Are Jehovah's Witnesses calling obeying Psalm 146:3 A SIN????????????

well yes it is true many people leave while still worshiping god, they just don't believe the org is inspired by god and are still shunned.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
Mark 7:9 and said to them, full well do you caste aside the commandments of God, so that your own traditions you can observe.
Mark 7:10 Moses wherefore said, Honor thy father and thy mother: and whosoever curses father and mother ends in death.
Mark 7:11 But you now say, if sayith a man to his father or his mother, korban: which is to say, by all my Sacrificial Offerings you benefit,
Mark 7:12 And no longer require of him anything to perform for his father or mother,
Mark 7:13 do invalidate the word of God for the sake of the tradition which you bring forth: and many such things you observe.

Am I missing something? The only way I know about corban or korban is Mark 7:10-13
My point is why is it wrong to consider one's own children their corban for God? Do you know?

This is what I think corban is. It's a will that leaves a person's wealth to the temple. Children are a person's wealth. My children are my greatest wealth. So......why can children NOT be corban?

1. Is corban a promise to leave one's wealth to the temple?
2. Can children be considered corban in the situation I described in post one?
3. Why not?

1. No. It is a sacrifice to draw nearer to God. An individual usually brings "Zevachim" - "slaughtered," or "Menachot" - grain offerings.

Now I personally think this originally included the Sacrifice of the first born son.

However, Mark 7:9-13 is obviously condemning the - CHILDREN - for saying their Temple offerings benefit their parents - therefore they don't need to do anything more, to actually "honor" their father and mother. Thereby trying to invalidate the commandments - by work-around "traditions."