• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corban What is it?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's very hard for me to believe the truth is, a grandma begging to see her family one more time is the same to some posters as a husband and wife relationship or a father and underage son relationship.

Malachi 2:16 trumps 1 Corinthians 15:33.

And 1 Timothy 5:8 trumps 1 Corinthians 15:33.

But grandma has no trump. :(

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does any of this say that the family member is forever 'shunned' or cut off from the family? No. The social aspects of life will be affected, but there will still be need for some association depending on the circumstances.

Ya, for the writing of the will.....

Wherenextcolumbus

they might choose to cut off socially....ie, we are having a bbq this weekend and inviting over some JW friends. Would we invite our disfellowshiped relative. No of course not.

Does any of this say that the family member is forever 'shunned' or cut off from the family? No. The social aspects of life will be affected, but there will still be need for some association depending on the circumstances.

So basically.....they are shunned

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is another story, off topic but related, of a lady who was not allowed to go with her Jehovah's Witness mother for her cancer treatments.

There are stories of families who do not get news of their dying JW relatives so they can say goodbye.

Wherenextcolumbus

There is another story, off topic but related, of a lady who was not allowed to go with her Jehovah's Witness mother for her cancer treatments.

There are stories of families who do not get news of their dying JW relatives so they can say goodbye.

Oh yes I saw her video....she and her husband was disfellowshipped for ignoring the elders advice and getting married, LOL! talk about a power trip!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
“Shun your disfellowshipped loved ones!”: Shocking District Convention talk hits YouTube | JWsurvey
Recorded at one of the 2013 “God’s Word Is Truth” District Conventions in California, the speaker instructs Witnesses to shun family members, even children, as an act of loyalty.
In his Saturday-afternoon talk entitled “The Truth Brings ‘Not Peace, But a Sword’,” Wallkill Bethel representative Steven Bell laid the blame for the heartache of shunning squarely at the feet of those who are disfellowshipped.
“Resist self-blame,” Bell told an audience of thousands of Witnesses. “We may think that we’re at fault somehow. Remember that Jehovah holds sinners responsible for their actions. Each person has to have a personal relationship with Jehovah. Even young ones that are disfellowshipped, it’s because their relationship with Jehovah was weak.”

Is it not possible for someone to leave because their relationship with Jehovah is strong but their relationship with man's rule is obedience to God's Word? (Psalm 146:3)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We have to make some sort of stand....if cutting off needless association is a way to make a stand on their bad behaviour, then thats our prerogative

Bad behavior? Is believing anything contrary to what the governing body teach bad behavior? But....they have taught some things wrong. If I don't believe something they are teaching wrong, I am bad?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am very frustrated by those two. They keep saying I am twisting scripture. But Psalm 146:3 tells me to do what I am doing..... I want to cry.

Wherenextcolumbus

*Post Removed*

I don't make life difficult for my sister as an unbeliever, I respect her life, she respects mine, we are still close. I don't say to her, what I say on the forums, and she doesn't try to convert me.
I think this is possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wherenextcolumbus

I do not say to anyone what I say on the forums....but according to them I am bad because I am on forum debating.

you are not bad, what people say on the forums is because of just that, they are debating. We don't have constant debates with everyone outside of debating forums. If someone really does not want to hear it then I will not keep trying to say it, but if they try and say something to me that I think is wrong then I will say something. But it is not how it is on these forums.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
you are not bad, what people say on the forums is because of just that, they are debating. We don't have constant debates with everyone outside of debating forums. If someone really does not want to hear it then I will not keep trying to say it, but if they try and say something to me that I think is wrong then I will say something. But it is not how it is on these forums.

Thank you. I understand live and let live. It is what I try to do.

Telling me again and again that I am twisitng scriptures, impying that I have an evil agenda, and calling me an apostate is not debate. It is insult.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I don't make life difficult for my sister as an unbeliever, I respect her life, she respects mine, we are still close. I don't say to her, what I say on the forums, and she doesn't try to convert me.
I think this is possible?

and not all who leave the JW's make life difficult for their believing family members either....and this is what makes all the difference in why some families choose to stay away completely, or only a little.

It depends a lot on the person who has left. If they browbeat the family for remaining a JW, then the family will have to take steps to protect themselves from the harmful influence and negative talk of the one who left.

If the one who left is not against the believers and does not cause problems, the way it is handled will be different.

Wherenextcolumbus

Thank you. I understand live and let live. It is what I try to do.

Telling me again and again that I am twisitng scriptures, impying that I have an evil agenda, and calling me an apostate is not debate. It is insult.

Well I say my sister and I are close, sometimes she does irritating things that make us not that close but it is outside of religion, just her personality, that is family though right? :D. We are close as in neither of us is shunned from each other, I can get invited to her place even when JW friends are there, I can call her whenever I want to.
And I try to control my swearing around her. :D

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Pegg do you not think the organisation encourage people to shun disfellowshipped family members?

The organization encourages us to apply the bibles counsel in all matters and put Jehovah first. The counsel it gives in how to treat a disfellowshipped one is from the bible, not the organization.

The brothers stick to the bible and so should we because it is God who wants it done that way.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
and not all who leave the JW's make life difficult for their believing family members either....and this is what makes all the difference in why some families choose to stay away completely, or only a little.

It depends a lot on the person who has left. If they browbeat the family for remaining a JW, then the family will have to take steps to protect themselves from the harmful influence and negative talk of the one who left.

If the one who left is not against the believers and does not cause problems, the way it is handled will be different.

This might be true but it seems to me mnay people never get the opportunity to prove to the Jehovah's Witness relative that they will live and let live.

Also, to think that the witnesses can still control the thought and speech of the one who left is no better than evil. "We'll bring the grandkids over but do not talk to them." And Jehovah's Witnesses on forum wonder why I won't just shut up. Oh God.

Last edited:

Wherenextcolumbus

But I think people are shunned without even given a chance