• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covid causes brain changes

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We've moved away from obsessing over Covid, but this to me is a meaningful finding and should be noted. I had to register with Medscape to get access BTW. Note the careful comment on the meaning of the changes but even now to me due caution should continue to be observed

First 'Before-and-After' COVID Brain Imaging Study Shows Structural Changes

Even mild cases of COVID-19 are associated with brain changes including decreased gray matter, an overall reduction in brain volume, and cognitive decline, a new imaging study shows.

In the first study to use magnetic resonance brain imaging, before and after COVID-19, investigators found "greater reduction in grey matter thickness and tissue-contrast in the orbitofrontal cortex and parahippocampal gyrus, greater changes in markers of tissue damage in regions functionally connected to the primary olfactory cortex and greater reduction in global brain size." However, the researchers urge caution when interpreting the findings.

Gwenaëlle Douaud, PhD, Wellcome Center for Integrative Neuroimaging, Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, and colleagues describe these brain changes as "modest."

"Whether these abnormal changes are the hallmark of the spread of the pathogenic effects in the brain, or of the virus itself, and whether these may prefigure a future vulnerability of the limbic system in particular, including memory, for these participants, remains to be investigated," the researchers write.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Whether these abnormal changes are the hallmark of the spread of the pathogenic effects in the brain, or of the virus itself, and whether these may prefigure a future vulnerability of the limbic system in particular, including memory, for these participants, remains to be investigated," the researchers write.

Of course it effects memory I would think. It affected my wife's memory for sure. And my wife's.