• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationism in schools?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
He may look like Orville Redenbacher's illegitimate son, but I do wish I was as cool as Bill Nye. I'd probably home school or move if my children were being brainwashed with Biblical bologna.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No, appropriate, or no, you think you're already as cool as Bill Nye. Because you're not. No one is. :)
LOL!

No, I don't think it's appropriate to teach Creationism in schools.

Well, maybe if it's a religion class detailing precisely why YEC is **** poor theology.

Wirey

Fartist
LOL!

No, I don't think it's appropriate to teach Creationism in schools.

Well, maybe if it's a religion class detailing precisely why YEC is **** poor theology.

You know the funny part? If they said "Evolution is God's plan," I probably would go "Okay, whatever." But to say Adam and Eve were riding a brontosaurus and the Grand Canyon is brand new is soooooooooooooo out there.

Trey of Diamonds

I noticed in this article it mentions States where it's considered acceptable to teach creationism. If a teacher started spouting that stuff to my kid I'd lose it. Do you think this is appropriate?

I home school because I live in one of those states. I'm sure I will teach creationism though, its always good to study primitive cultures and their beliefs.

PS Don't you wish you were as cool as Bill Nye?

Mr. Wizard can kick the science guy's butt.

_media_photo_2007-06_30468245-1.jpg

rusra02

Premium Member
'Science Guy' Bill Nye condemns teaching creationism - Technology & Science - CBC News

I noticed in this article it mentions States where it's considered acceptable to teach creationism. If a teacher started spouting that stuff to my kid I'd lose it. Do you think this is appropriate?

I don't know what you mean by "Creationism". Many people think Intelligent Design fits the known facts much more than the ToE. But I suggest you define what you mean by "creationism."
And no, I don't think Bill Nye is cool. I don't think it is cool to try to limit intelligent discourse about alternative explanations to evolution for how all the diverse living things came to be.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'd also flip out if creationism found its way into my kids' science class. And I am as cool as Bill Bye, unfortunately. :D

otokage007

no, no, a thousand times no. I would talk to them about extraterrestrials seeding this planet with life rather than God using his magic.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know what you mean by "Creationism". Many people think Intelligent Design fits the known facts much more than the ToE. But I suggest you define what you mean by "creationism."
And no, I don't think Bill Nye is cool. I don't think it is cool to try to limit intelligent discourse about alternative explanations to evolution for how all the diverse living things came to be.
ID doesn't 'fit" any facts. It's not based on facts. It's promoted by scurrilously denying scientific facts, observations and methodology then claiming that if the science supporting ToE is unreliable the only possible alternative must needs be ID -- QED.

The entirety of Intelligent Design/Creationism can be summed up as: "God did it -- by magic." The entirety of ID/Creationism can be summed up as: "God did it -- by magic."
ID is not science by any stretch of the imagination.

ericoh2

'Science Guy' Bill Nye condemns teaching creationism - Technology & Science - CBC News

Aww hell, it ranks right up there with all the propaganda that they teach in school about how America is always the good guy and those who are oppose are the devil.

Levite

Higher and Higher

I do wish I were as cool as Bill Nye, he's awesome. And he's entirely correct. Creationism has no place in public schools, and neither does Intelligent Design. IMO, Creationism doesn't have a good place in private, religious schools, either, since strict Creationism is, IMO, not very good religion (though Intelligent Design can be good religion, depending on how it's taught), but at least it is defensible before the law and the legal ethos of the land to restrict it to private religious schools.

Creationism is religion. It is not science. It has no place in a science classroom. Doubly so in a public school, where religion is not to be taught, especially not uncritically.

Last edited:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Many people think Intelligent Design fits the known facts much more than the ToE.

Define 'many' in this context.
Because... I don't see many biological scientists agreeing with this (see Project Steve if you want to do the list thing), and as modern western countries go, this is mainly an issue in the US. Elsewhere we kinda agree that ID/Creationism is nonsense.

This isn't about limiting scientists from discussing anything.
This is about what you teach kids in a classroom.
And what you teach in a science class in a school should be accepted science.
Which means the Theory of Evolution.
ID/Creationism isn't even a working hypothesis, let along an alternative explanation for anything.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
ID doesn't 'fit" any facts. It's not based on facts. It's promoted by scurrilously denying scientific facts, observations and methodology then claiming that if the science supporting ToE is unreliable the only possible alternative must needs be ID -- QED.
The entirety of Intelligent Design/Creationism can be summed up as: "God did it -- by magic." The entirety of ID/Creationism can be summed up as: "God did it -- by magic."
ID is not science by any stretch of the imagination.
Wrongo pongo! The problem with ID is that it can so easily be made to fit the facts, without denying any of them.
Of course this is also why ID is not science. ID cannot be disproven because it makes no testable predictions.
It simply adapts itself to whatever evidence science gives us.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

The big lie here, I think, is that Creationist do not want creationism taught in schools, they want Christian Creationism taught in schools. There is nothing ever mentioned about Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, Inuit, Apache, etc., creation stories, just the Genesis version. So this becomes more a religious manipulation than an scholarly discussion. Don't you agree?

rusra02

Premium Member
The big lie here, I think, is that Creationist do not want creationism taught in schools, they want Christian Creationism taught in schools. There is nothing ever mentioned about Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, Inuit, Apache, etc., creation stories, just the Genesis version. So this becomes more a religious manipulation than an scholarly discussion. Don't you agree?

Since no one has defined "creationism", each person interprets what it is according to their experience and education.

rusra02

Premium Member
Define 'many' in this context.
Because... I don't see many biological scientists agreeing with this (see Project Steve if you want to do the list thing), and as modern western countries go, this is mainly an issue in the US. Elsewhere we kinda agree that ID/Creationism is nonsense.
There are millions of intelligent people who reject the theory of evolution. Further, the scientific establishment works hard to punish any scientist who dares to publicly question the sacred cow of evolution.

This isn't about limiting scientists from discussing anything.
This is about what you teach kids in a classroom.
And what you teach in a science class in a school should be accepted science.
Which means the Theory of Evolution.
ID/Creationism isn't even a working hypothesis, let along an alternative explanation for anything.

Why are evolutionists so afraid of competing theories? Is it because you are insecure? I think many people (who haven't been taught to ignore facts) understand that things, living or non-living, don't build themselves. (Hebrews 3:4)