• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cult Test

Akivah

It's called corban. It is true there is no law about grandchildren. It is a law about what can benefit the grandparents, they would be the person's parents.

{ship}

The child become corban. The parents can enjoy the child during their life and the child's life but the parents' parents are restricted as in corban. I think I am using the word correctly. Is it?

:no:

I think you should cease attempting to use terms from Judaism. You don't understand them or their meanings.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think every organised religion is basically a cult, they just work on different degrees of "harmfulness"

I was just going to say that, yes organized religion are cults, the only true religion is found within each one of us, if you try to organize that, then it becomes a cult, you cultivate what is true for you and then expect everyone else to follow that, because of this dogma and fundamentalism follows.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
:no:

I think you should cease attempting to use terms from Judaism. You don't understand them or their meanings.

I am using them as the Jehovah's Witnesses teach them. I wonder if you are brave enough to tell THEM to "cease"? (troll thought)

But did you ever stop to consider the fact that Jesus left His Apostles in the position of governing His Church? I don't see anything wrong with a governing body; I actually think it's what Christ had in mind when He organized His Church. The thing is, after Christ's resurrection and ascension into Heaven, He continued to direct His Church through that group of men, and did so by revelation. That's why He praised Peter so, when Peter alone, of all the Apostles, recognized Him as being "the Christ, the Son of the living God." He pointed out that it was not "flesh and blood" that had revealed this fact to Peter, but our "Father in Heaven." As long as God is communicating with a governing body, there is a very good reason for their existence. In such a case, Jesus Christ really would be leading the Church himself; He would just be doing so through individuals He chose to oversee His Church in His absence.

I agree completely. Even though it is every bit as important to have a personal relationship with our savior, most of what we know about God is passed down from others.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Proof positive that the Jehovah's Witnesses discourage communication and a desire to learn.
Well, that may very well be so, but it's not what I had in mind when I made the statement. My original statement was:

Katzpur said:
the word is overused, and that it's almost always intended as a derogatory term that discourages real communication and desire to learn.
What I was actually trying to say is that people who overuse the word "cult," appear to me be have a real agenda. I think a lot of them use the word to refer to any church they perceive to be a threat, and they call it a "cult" so that people who may otherwise be interested in learning more about it will think twice. Nobody wants to get caught up in a cult (even people who actually are), so if people are told that a religion is a cult, they immediately cross that religion off their list of ones to learn more about.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I agree completely. Even though it is every bit as important to have a personal relationship with our savior, most of what we know about God is passed down from others.
This is actually one key point that Mormonism and Catholicism have in common. While we disagree as to who has the authority to direct Christ's Church, we at least recognize that authority is essential and that Jesus Christ always intended that His Church be led by the individuals who held that authority. Protestants basically just toss the need for authority out the window entirely.

I was just going to say that, yes organized religion are cults, the only true religion is found within each one of us, if you try to organize that, then it becomes a cult, you cultivate what is true for you and then expect everyone else to follow that, because of this dogma and fundamentalism follows.

How does that compare to other areas of knowlege? There is only one truth. We don`t teach math by saying go figuire out what is true for you. There is either a God or there isnt. Either Jesus is God or he is not. It is true that we will never fully understand God, but if we believe that something is true it is only natural to pass that on to others and I am glad that they did or I would never know the truth.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Good catch! ..... and I thought you were someone talking to me .... how dumb can I be?
Actually, I think the whole thing was my fault. I initially left the ending
off when I quoted you and it messed things up. It's fixed now, but I can see how Akivah thought he was quoting me and why you were confused, too.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, that may very well be so, but it's not what I had in mind when I made the statement. My original statement was:

What I was actually trying to say is that people who overuse the word "cult," appear to me be have a real agenda. I think a lot of them use the word to refer to any church they perceive to be a threat, and they call it a "cult" so that people who may otherwise be interested in learning more about it will think twice. Nobody wants to get caught up in a cult (even people who actually are), so if people are told that a religion is a cult, they immediately cross that religion off their list of ones to learn more about.

The word cult is a descriptive word for a group of people who will be pleased to shape you into what pleases them, not what pleases you. That is a cult's agenda. It is real.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
How does that compare to other areas of knowlege? There is only one truth. We don`t teach math by saying go figuire out what is true for you. There is either a God or there isnt. Either Jesus is God or he is not. It is true that we will never fully understand God, but if we believe that something is true it is only natural to pass that on to others and I am glad that they did or I would never know the truth.

Well good for you, if your happy where you are then that's good for you, but organized religion isn't for me, it only stunts my growth.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Maybe organized religion is not for you right now. What helps you grow?

What helped me was the realization that I am One with all there is, that there is no god, that we are all connected in pure Consciousness. While we believe we are separate from all there is we live our life in confusion, we fight against nature instead of flowing with nature, this is true religion, it is realizing this truth that sets you free.

Wherenextcolumbus

What helped me was the realization that I am One with all there is, that there is no god, that we are all connected in pure Consciousness. While we believe we are separate from all there is we live our life in confusion, we fight against nature instead of flowing with nature, this is true religion, it is realizing this truth that sets you free.

Google "the man who lives with no money" I think you may like it.

Akivah

I am using them as the Jehovah's Witnesses teach them. I wonder if you are brave enough to tell THEM to "cease"? (troll thought)

"They" aren't posting here, you are. I thought you'd be interested in knowing that your definition is not even close.