• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

da vinci last supper pic

jaybird

am i the only one that wonders why the last supper painting has only 11 Apostles and replaces the 12th with Mary Magdalen? why would da vinvi do this?

Skwim

Veteran Member
am i the only one that wonders why the last supper painting has only 11 Apostles and replaces the 12th with Mary Magdalen? why would da vinvi do this?
Maybe because it isn't Mary Magdalen.

The four groups of three.

1) Bartholomew, James, son of Alphaeus, and Andrew form a group of three; all are surprised.

2) Judas Iscariot, Peter, and John form another group of three.

3) Apostle Thomas, James the Greater, and Philip are the next group of three.

4) Matthew, Jude Thaddeus, and Simon the Zealot are the final group of three.
(source: Wikipedia)

lastsupp_apostles.jpg

jaybird

i have read that it is John next to Jesus. ok but why did leo make john look like a female? there is a difference between a feminine looking guy and a female, and that looks like a female.

What I never noticed until recently was that there is the top of a door underneath Jesus. (Which was actually built after the painting was completed). I didn't even know it was painted on a wall to be honest.

It's strange how your brain can miss something in plain sight simply because you don't expect to see it. Perhaps I'm just stupid though :D