• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darshan

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How would you describe darshan, if you've experiences it? What emotional or physical effects does it have on you?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
They say 'rather than us seeing the deity (at the temple), the deity should see us'. Therefore, my first objective of a darshan is to make sure I go up close and be seen by the deity.

Then after that, I get absorbed in seeing the details of the deity that I spend all of the little time before the deity doing the same - studying the details. In our local Lakshmi temple here, the deity is usually decorated so very well.

Then I recite some prayers and move on.

It is only at home, that I feel so close emotionally to the deity.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
How would you describe darshan, if you've experiences it? What emotional or physical effects does it have on you?
I've always been a little confused on darshan.

Is there a difference between having darshan and visiting a temple?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've always been a little confused on darshan.

Is there a difference between having darshan and visiting a temple?
You can visit a temple without getting darshan, if your mind isn't into it, I suppose. In my view darshan is more than just sight though, as the dictionary defines it. It's also that energy that is emanated from the deity or holy person. The difference for me, between general spiritual energy, and darshan, is that darshan has a recognizable source. So one might feel the energy, but not really know where it's coming from, much like feeling sunlight without recognizing it's from the sun. Then when you look at the sun, (or in the case of darshan, the deity) you get that extra jolt, so to speak.

This is as usual, a very individualistic topic, and we're most likely not doing it justice with words.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
You can visit a temple without getting darshan, if your mind isn't into it, I suppose. In my view darshan is more than just sight though, as the dictionary defines it. It's also that energy that is emanated from the deity or holy person. The difference for me, between general spiritual energy, and darshan, is that darshan has a recognizable source. So one might feel the energy, but not really know where it's coming from, much like feeling sunlight without recognizing it's from the sun. Then when you look at the sun, (or in the case of darshan, the deity) you get that extra jolt, so to speak.

This is as usual, a very individualistic topic, and we're most likely not doing it justice with words.
Interesting you mention the sun... that's happened to me a few times with the sun recently.

In the temple, the most notable time was during a Rudrabishikam. At one of the points in the puja, my husband and I could feel the energy of Shiva came in... gave us both quite a jolt.

We saw him, he saw us!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Interesting you mention the sun... that's happened to me a few times with the sun recently.

In the temple, the most notable time was during a Rudrabishikam. At one of the points in the puja, my husband and I could feel the energy of Shiva came in... gave us both quite a jolt.

We saw him, he saw us!
Simultaneously is always cool. At a standard puja in agamic tradition, there are two times where it is intended to have a strong effect. The first is when the curtain opens, and the second is at the final arati. But I've always found it interesting how some people can feel it while others don't.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Simultaneously is always cool. At a standard puja in agamic tradition, there are two times where it is intended to have a strong effect. The first is when the curtain opens, and the second is at the final arati. But I've always found it interesting how some people can feel it while others don't.
I noticed the first time Ares went to a temple, he kept looking at Ganesh... he was nonverbal back then, but I wondered what the draw was.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I noticed the first time Ares went to a temple, he kept looking at Ganesh... he was nonverbal back then, but I wondered what the draw was.
Young kids are fascinating. They vary from thinking the temple is one big indoor playground to those that naturally put their hands together and just stare, stare. Who knows what all the unseen effects are? One common effect on me (and Boss too) is to feel tired in a good way. Six weeks today we land on the Sandwich Islands to see Siva, after having moved to His new home there.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Young kids are fascinating. They vary from thinking the temple is one big indoor playground to those that naturally put their hands together and just stare, stare. Who knows what all the unseen effects are? One common effect on me (and Boss too) is to feel tired in a good way. Six weeks today we land on the Sandwich Islands to see Siva, after having moved to His new home there.
Yeah, I get that 'tired' feeling, too... always attributed it to the drive, though.

Ares always loved the temple, but wasn't always able to conduct himself in one. We'll have to skip it for now. I wish I could see how Yudhi would react; its been awhile for him.

Have you ever had darshan during a home puja?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yeah, I get that 'tired' feeling, too... always attributed it to the drive, though.

Ares always loved the temple, but wasn't always able to conduct himself in one. We'll have to skip it for now. I wish I could see how Yudhi would react; its been awhile for him.

Have you ever had darshan during a home puja?
Yes, that is the entire point of doing it. Boss usually comments on the strength when she gets up. Her room is adjacent to the home mandir. Interestingly, my physical body has been very ill for the last week or so. I actually missed 5 sadhana appointments in a row, which is likely the first time in way over 10 years that that has happened. I'm above 99%. Hopefully Siva and His Devas didn't think our appointments were cancelled forever. It may take awhile to rebuild the vibration. There was a time that I felt obligated, but now I just want to go there every morning. It's the most natural thing.

(Upon inspiration from Salix's thread on it, I have decided to use 'Siva' exclusively as opposed to the chronically misunderstood 'G' word.)

Thai Pusam this Thursday

I do you hope you guys can make it to a mandir sooner than later. Aum.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, that is the entire point of doing it. Boss usually comments on the strength when she gets up. Her room is adjacent to the home mandir. Interestingly, my physical body has been very ill for the last week or so. I actually missed 5 sadhana appointments in a row, which is likely the first time in way over 10 years that that has happened. I'm above 99%. Hopefully Siva and His Devas didn't think our appointments were cancelled forever. It may take awhile to rebuild the vibration. There was a time that I felt obligated, but now I just want to go there every morning. It's the most natural thing.

(Upon inspiration from Salix's thread on it, I have decided to use 'Siva' exclusively as opposed to the chronically misunderstood 'G' word.)

Thai Pusam this Thursday

I do you hope you guys can make it to a mandir sooner than later. Aum.
One benefit I have had vvith home puja is the ability to let loose...

I often have worship with tears at home. Not as often at the temple...

I like that you'll use Siva from here on out. I may get more specific as well...

Hope your body heals, and Siva smiles on you... its Pradosh, and Monday, so I figure that's double good.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One benefit I have had vvith home puja is the ability to let loose...

I often have worship with tears at home. Not as often at the temple...

I like that you'll use Siva from here on out. I may get more specific as well...

Hope your body heals, and Siva smiles on you... its Pradosh, and Monday, so I figure that's double good.
Home is definitely special that way. I sing (I'm a lousy singer) relentlessly, but nobody except Siva hears my beckoning pleas. Certainly it's a fine example of how at the basic levels, it's only you and Siva.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The sun is after all, the visible form of God, as I heard it put.

Let us greet with the song of hope each day
Though the moment be cloudy or fair
And let us trust in the Sunshine always
Who keeps us all warm with His care

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
my physical body has been very ill for the last week or so. I actually missed 5 sadhana appointments in a row, which is likely the first time in way over 10 years that that has happened. I'm above 99%. Hopefully Siva and His Devas didn't think our appointments were cancelled forever. It may take awhile to rebuild the vibration.
I'm in the same position. I was sick for a week with food poisoning and/or a plain ol' stomach bug. And with everything else going on I just haven't had the bhava to do a puja every day. And I feel rushed in the morning. I love doing the longer version in which I sing the aarati song but I can really only do that on my days off. In the morning before work I do go to the shrine and at least say hello and give namaskar. I've felt that I'm too distracted to focus on Śrī Kṛṣṇa. And I have felt too embarrassed to approach Him. :cry: Though i am always thinking of Him. I know at some point I'll get that spark back too. He, and Lakṣmī, Ganeṣa, Saraswatī, Hanuman (Devebhiḥ, I love using those diacritics :D ... the visarga indicates nominative :D) and the other deities have been too good to me to turn my back.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm also trying to use either Kṛṣṇaḥ or Viṣṇuḥ as the case warrants. Of course they are One and the Same; in puja I address Him in both His forms.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
500,000 have Ram Lala darshan on the first day after Prana Pratishtha
Photographs (devotees who were already there), and a monkey curiously looking on to see what all the hubbub is about.
Bus services to Ayodhya suspended for the moment to avoid crowding.
Appreciate what the police did. Must have been very hard on police to avoid mishaps.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Jai, I do not think you neede to put 'ḥ' after the name of the deities, Krishna or Vishnu. That will happen if it is a sentence indicating somehing of the deities.
OTH, if I go to temple, it probably has been years since, I go to admire and enjoy the ambiance of His house (or Mother's house) and relax there.
I do not have anything to pray for. They are always with me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
500,000 have Ram Lala darshan on the first day after Prana Pratishtha
Photographs (devotees who were already there), and a monkey curiously looking on to see what all the hubbub is about.
Bus services to Ayodhya suspended for the moment to avoid crowding.
Appreciate what the police did. Must have been very hard on police to avoid mishaps.
Sounds like it will become a new Tirupati with regards to crowds and queues. We'll know better in a year from now.