• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin movie too hot for the big screen in USA

gnomon

Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America' - Telegraph

However, US distributors have resolutely passed on a film which will prove hugely divisive in a country where, according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

Creation was developed by BBC Films and the UK Film Council, and stars Bettany's real-life wife Jennifer Connelly as Darwin's deeply religious wife, Emma. It is based on the book, Annie's Box, by Darwin's great-great-grandson, Randal Keynes, and portrays the naturalist as a family man tormented by the death in 1851 of Annie, his favourite child. She is played in the film by 10-year-old newcomer Martha West, the daughter of The Wire star Dominic West.
Early reviews have raved about the film. The Hollywood Reporter said: "It would be a great shame if those with religious convictions spurned the film out of hand as they will find it even-handed and wise."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's perhaps the film distributors in the U.S. thinking that they will not make any money on the film. After all, it's not like it's one of Jennifer Connelly's movies where she will be partially nude. In other words, the subject material I think would just fall flat in the United States. Not enough Michael Baysplosions, Tarantino quirky dialogue or cheesy Shyamalan twists.

I say this to place this non-distribution brouhaha at the feet of the distributors and not the general public.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You could be right, Gnomon. I hope you are. The alternative seems to be to think this country would censor Charles Darwin, and that is rather depressing.

rojse

RF Addict
Movieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated.

Oh, dear.

gnomon

Oh, dear.

Yeah I checked their site. That's not a review of the film. Even scarier, it's a review of a book entitled Darwin's Racists. Which actually makes it worse. Because they give the book 4 stars.:cover:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yeah I checked their site. That's not a review of the film. Even scarier, it's a review of a book entitled Darwin's Racists. Which actually makes it worse. Because they give the book 4 stars.:cover:
Gawd, that is just so sick. Only 39% of Americans believe in Evolution. Sad... very sad.

Alceste

Vagabond
Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America' - Telegraph

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's perhaps the film distributors in the U.S. thinking that they will not make any money on the film. After all, it's not like it's one of Jennifer Connelly's movies where she will be partially nude. In other words, the subject material I think would just fall flat in the United States. Not enough Michael Baysplosions, Tarantino quirky dialogue or cheesy Shyamalan twists.

I say this to place this non-distribution brouhaha at the feet of the distributors and not the general public.

I am guessing it will show up in repertory / independent cinemas and film festivals eventually. That's what happens to all those awesome European films Canadian distributors don't pick up because they're too busy bidding for the Adam Sandler's latest cinematic bowel movement.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Are people in America making a fuss about this? You should if you want that film showing in your country. I would be annoyed, very annoyed. I would want to be able to see this film on the big screen. Do something about it!

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I am guessing it will show up in repertory / independent cinemas and film festivals eventually. That's what happens to all those awesome European films Canadian distributors don't pick up because they're too busy bidding for the Adam Sandler's latest cinematic bowel movement.
I bet that's what'll happen- it might get a small theatrical release in L.A. and N.Y.

Not to defend the studios, but I wonder if the main reason this was passed on is that it's getting some negative reviews. Studios love drama and controversy: Last Temptation of Christ and The Passion of the Christ are testament to that (see what I did there? :p), so I'm not sure hurt feelings of creationists matter much in the decision. Though I haven't seen it nor read the screenplay, those folks I know who have done so say Creation is a bit too made-for-Lifetime-channel biopic that exaggerates the conflict between Emma's religious beliefs and Darwin for dramatic effect. I'm still looking forward to it and hope the negative buzz is just a murmur.

Hm. ViaTwitter it looks like the director claims he now has a U.S. release. We'll see.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I bet that's what'll happen- it might get a small theatrical release in L.A. and N.Y.

Not to defend the studios, but I wonder if the main reason this was passed on is that it's getting some negative reviews. Studios love drama and controversy: .....

In that case this needs to be retitled, "Darwin Camp" :D

Smoke

Done here.
I think this film could make money in the U.S. The distributors just don't want to be targeted by maniacal Sarah Palin fans. Cowards.