• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dawkins-Williams Debate

Sultan Of Swing

[youtube]HWN4cfh1Fac[/youtube]
Richard Dawkins, Rowan Williams, Anthony Kenny: "Human Beings & Ultimate Origin" Debate - YouTube

This is a video of the debate between renowned Atheist Richard Dawkins and Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.

Personally I was a little disappointed with this debate. I enjoyed it and found it interesting, but agree with many critics that it was like two old men sitting down for some "afternoon tea".

These guys are giants of their respective fields. I was hoping for some kind of epic Gandalf-Saruman battle but found none, or at least something akin to the Huxley-Wilberforce debate all those years ago.

Anyway, what did you all think of it? Please discuss the debate and even debate the topics presented within the debate (origins of consciousness, origin of life on earth, origin of the universe etc.), and see if you guys can have a more engaging and impressive debate than these two "masters".

Last edited:

I enjoyed it and found it interesting, but agree with many critics that it was like two old men sitting down for some "afternoon tea".

It was one of the more civil debates I've seen on these kinds of ideas. I think the archbishop is the kind of person which is really hard to get into a battle with, because he seems like such a calm and respectful person.

I was hoping for some kind of epic Gandalf-Saruman battle but found none.

Christopher Hitchens is a master at creating those kinds of battles lol. Have you watched his debates before?

Anyway, what did you all think of it?

I thought it was ok. I learned that back problems are the result of humans switching to walking upright lol. Nothing really new for me beyond that.

Consciousness remains a mystery, maybe always will.

The origin of the universe doesn't interest me much. The origin of 'the stuff of reality' is the question that interests me. Im certain the answer is that there is no origin, but that everything that is real has always existed.

The origin of life is almost certainly that it happened naturally. Its hard to imagine a super intelligence having started the spark of life, and leaving it at that. Maybe. But, it seems unlikely.

idav

Being
Premium Member
They both did a pretty decent job. Almost a stale mate but I think the theist lost ground with the intelligent design thing around the end. Problem of evil is always hard to justify.

CynthiaCypher

They both did a pretty decent job. Almost a stale mate but I think the theist lost ground with the intelligent design thing around the end. Problem of evil is always hard to justify.

I think Dawkins was kind of intimidated by the Archbishop in the beginning. Rowan Williams wasn't like any opponent he has been used to facing.

Last edited:

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I love the fact that they all acknowledged logic applies before they began; it is something we less prominent debaters could really learn from.

But overall I have to say I found it a very good discussion; that it might be possible to envisage being done over a cup of tea is to me no drawback, instead I found my impression of the participants elevated and my perception of the positions and arguments therein given greater objectivity and consideration than if they were instead trying to bite out each-other's jugular.

lunamoth

Will to love
An enjoyable debate, and I also think it elevates the discussion by being civil and as if a congenial conversation over tea. Leave it to the English to have such class.

What I find most amusing is that Archbishop Williams and Professsor Dawkins actually have no disagreement over the science. The only difference is that Williams does not go one step further as Dawkins does and say that it means no God.

Sultan Of Swing

My opinions of Dawkins and Williams certainly were raised by the debate, and it will be a great shame to see the archbishop step down. An annoying bit I found though was when Dawkins started questioning WHY williams found the bible an authoritative and holy source and things started to heat up. Then good old kenny steps in and changes the subject. >.>

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Yes, it was a good moderating decision. I grimaced a little when I heard his comment, thinking it was quickly going to descend to the level of many other debates...