• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

de-nazification: hang them all?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
In 1945 there were eight million members of the Nazi party

That's a lot of Nazis and a great many had been killed in the war

Here's my question:

Should the victorious allies have condemned all the surviving Nazis to summary execution?

They didn't, but could doing so have been justified?

Or would there have been good reasons for keeping some of them alive?

I ask because I have recently been reading up on the de-nazification of Germany after the war

The rise of the Nazis and the war are big subjects but de-nazification is a much smaller subject but is still interesting

Secret Chief

Degrow!

Here's my question:

Should the victorious allies have condemned all the surviving Nazis to summary execution?

I ask because I have recently been reading up on the de-nazification of Germany after the war

The rise of the Nazis and the war are big subjects but de-nazification is a much smaller subject but is still interesting
I'd focus on the shepherds, not the sheep. Germans were peed off with the suffering from the WW1 "settlement."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Here's my question:

Let them live but give them a memento.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Absolutely not! Membership cannot be a capital crime, because one ought to be free to associate with whom one wishes. If we do not restrain ourselves, and punish people only for their actions, after a fair trial to establish both their guilt and mens rea, then we would ourselves be evil.

Do not go there, I ask you.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Do you think it was right or wrong for the Nazi party to be banned, as it was in October 1945?
I can't answer for the time. In general, I am very much in favour of freedom of speech and association. As a Canadian, I am accustomed to the notion of "hate speech" not being considered as included in freedom of speech, and we define hate speech as:
  • It is expressed in a public way or place
  • It targets a person or group of people with a protected characteristic such as race, religion or sexual orientation
  • It uses extreme language to express hatred towards that person or group of people because of their protected characteristic
All of this the Nazi party very much did, as part of its own platform, and therefore, in my personal opinion, it was right to ban it.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I am accustomed to the notion of "hate speech" not being considered as included in freedom of speech, and we define hate speech as:
That's very sensible

In Germany it is currently illegal to form a party that is hostile to the democratic constitution

I think this is also sensible and that parties who want to abolish democracy should also be curtailed, like those who peddle hatred

That may sound a bit extreme but in Germany I think that policy is very understandable

What do you think about that?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Do you think it was right or wrong for the Nazi party to be banned, as it was in October 1945?
Just for clarification: you ask if it "was right ... as it was in October 1945".

Are you asking ...
  1. "was it right to ban it in 1945?" or
  2. "was it right to ban it as in 1945?
and, if the latter, which nazi party, when, and where?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Just for clarification: you ask if it "was right ... as it was in October 1945".

Are you asking ...
Sorry, my command of English obviously lapsed there

I meant the first

I was asking if banning it in October 1945 was right

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member

Are you asking ...
This is what I meant:

"The Nazi party was banned in October 1945. Was this the right thing to do?"

I was asking if it was right for it to be banned, which is what happened to it in October 1945

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
Generally speaking murdering millions of people for membership of a political party is frowned upon.

However, both East and West would find their own purposes for certain Nazis in exchange for some level of immunity.
However the west were much more keen on stealing nazi talent, and the Reds were generally much more heavy handed in their treatment of the Fascists.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
True, but as you say, many did. When a loaf of bread costs 200,000,000,000 Marks, people are likely to get extreme.
Maybe but I think starting to believe you're some kind of master race who deserves to rule the world comes from somewhere other than from hyperinflation and economic problems

I think that there's something else going on there and whatever that is is very disturbing indeed

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Maybe but I think starting to believe you're some kind of master race who deserves to rule the world comes from somewhere other than from hyperinflation and economic problems

I think that there's something else going on there and whatever that is is very disturbing indeed
Scapegoating has always been popular. Anti-semitism wasn't confined to Germany.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

As if Americans and the British have anything to talk about when it comes to racism and thinking they should rule the world. The French can't talk, either. Even with the eugenics, the Germans were greatly inspired by American eugenics programs. We were sterilizing the poor, alcoholics and drug addicts, the mentally ill and whoever else society looked down upon way before Hitler was on the scene. Same when it comes to the government doing horrible experiments without consent. America got there before the Germans. (America also had concentration camps and has committed genocide.)

So let's not be hypocritical.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Indeed it is but that's no mitigation

And it wasn't just the Jews they hated and wanted to kill
I'm not in the market for making out the folk of one country are fundamentally different from any other, it's pot luck what kind of political and economic climate one finds oneself in. Much of human history is the history of our appalling inhumanity.