• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Debate

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I've honestly realized I've lost my taste for debate.

I'll engage in it occasionally here.

But overall. It's lost it's appeal. I'd rather have a discussion with someone, even if our views are different, then have a debate.

Debate seems frivolous, and you almost never get anyone to adjust their views, so it all seems...... Pointless.

This is why I have been focusing most of my threads in discussion threads. And if I do post a "debate" topic, I tend to not actually engage.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

But overall. It's lost it's appeal. I'd rather have a discussion with someone, even if our views are different, then have a debate.

Debate seems frivolous, and you almost never get anyone to adjust their views, so it all seems...... Pointless.

This is why I have been focusing most of my threads in discussion threads. And if I do post a "debate" topic, I tend to not actually engage.

I don't debate much.

My life is a circus. I tend to socialize to relax. I've got enough intensity already.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

It's frustrating how many times lately I'll be in the middle of a debate with someone and suddenly realized, "This person isnt interested in understanding the topic, or solving the problem, or trying to determine what would be best for everyone involved.
They're just trying to "win" the argument".
And they're gonna do that, by any means, whatever it takes. By God they're gonna be right, even if they're not.

Congrats ! You win! It isn't a mop, it's a big squishy broom!!
Know what though? There's still a big mess on the floor.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It's frustrating how many times lately I'll be in the middle of a debate with someone and suddenly realized, "This person isnt interested in understanding the topic, or solving the problem, or trying to determine what would be best for everyone involved.
And they're gonna do that, by any means, whatever it takes. By God they're gonna be right, even if they're not.

Congrats ! You win! It isn't a mop, it's a big squishy broom!!
Know what though? There's still a big mess on the floor.

I fully agree.

I like debates where folks are aiming to understand or solve. That happens too seldom.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I fully agree.

I like debates where folks are aiming to understand or solve. That happens too seldom.

Yup. No one is willing to concede or see the other sides pov.

And not everything has a clear cut answer either. The world isn't black and white.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The four of us should just agree to be part of the solution, and not the problem.
And if anyone dares disagree, I'm going to go completely off tap, and rant on until you admit I'm right.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The four of us should just agree to be part of the solution, and not the problem.
And if anyone dares disagree, I'm going to go completely off tap, and rant on until you admit I'm right.
But which part of the solution do I get to be? Because I don't want to be one of the parts on the edges. I wanna be in the middle or maybe on the top of a part that's leaning towards one of the edges but not too much.

I know I'm not making any sense, but I'm winning anyway.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
This is why I hold absolutely no hope for humanity: Even if we came up with a perfect solution that would immediately fix everything that's wrong with the world, the world would probably sink into oblivion while we are arguing about what to call it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'd rather have a discussion with someone, even if our views are different, than have a debate. I have no interest in debates because they are about winning and I have no need to win anything. That is ego.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Some things are deemed to be debate when actually it's another view rather than a debate. But things are what they are.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member

I’ve never seen someone so wrong before in my whole life… :tongueout:

Yup. No one is willing to concede or see the other sides pov.

I don’t see the other person’s point of view because the other person, it turns out, doesn’t even have a point of view. All they have is the same old lies that they get from unreliable sources. I, on the other hand, have a valid—and factual—point of view that was carefully shaped, crafted, and informed by literally thousands of reliable sources. :tongueout:

And not everything has a clear cut answer either. The world isn't black and white.

The world isn’t black and white? Uhh, yes it is. It’s called day and night. :tongueout:

Wrong, as always. :tongueout:

I disagree.

Source? :tongueout:

Some things are deemed to be debate when actually it's another view rather than a debate. But things are what they are.

There is no such thing as just sharing views. Every time you share your opinion, you are telling me that I am wrong when in actuality your view is the one that is shaped by misinformation. Frankly, what you say here is dangerous. :tongueout:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Here you are, sir!

download (19).jpg

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I’ve never seen someone so wrong before in my whole life… :tongueout:

I don’t see the other person’s point of view because the other person, it turns out, doesn’t even have a point of view. All they have is the same old lies that they get from unreliable sources. I, on the other hand, have a valid—and factual—point of view that was carefully shaped, crafted, and informed by literally thousands of reliable sources. :tongueout:

The world isn’t black and white? Uhh, yes it is. It’s called day and night. :tongueout:

Wrong, as always. :tongueout:

Source? :tongueout:

There is no such thing as just sharing views. Every time you share your opinion, you are telling me that I am wrong when in actuality your view is the one that is shaped by misinformation. Frankly, what you say here is dangerous. :tongueout:

So...... Much....... Tongue.

Hopefully, not the last time you hear that! ;)