• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define goodness.

godlikemadman

God Among Men
When you ask an individual, "What is goodness? What constitutes a good person?", most people would answer something along the lines of "being kind to other people, doing good works, respecting others, treating others the way you want to be treated," or something or other. I disagree. Goodness goes much further than these superficial descriptions. A truly good person, a person whom others look to as a beacon of moral strength and a bastion of excellence, is a human being who can perfectly empathize with the problems and background of others; a person who can completely understand those who he or she interacts with and takes up their problems as his or her own, selflessly and wholly. A good person is, in effect, someone who can see the world from the perspective of another without judging them, without placing his or her own biases onto their vision, and who has the integrity and moral strength to act upon this perspective to help ease worry or stress. Insight without action is insensitivity and cowardice; action without insight is foolishness and naivety. Only a balance of the two can bring about true goodness.

Vultar

Nicely said.....

Disclaimer: I don't expect anyone to believe what I write.... I'm just a messenger.... :D

Satyamavejayanti

When you ask an individual, "What is goodness? What constitutes a good person?", most people would answer something along the lines of "being kind to other people, doing good works, respecting others, treating others the way you want to be treated," or something or other. I disagree. Goodness goes much further than these superficial descriptions. A truly good person, a person whom others look to as a beacon of moral strength and a bastion of excellence, is a human being who can perfectly empathize with the problems and background of others; a person who can completely understand those who he or she interacts with and takes up their problems as his or her own, selflessly and wholly. A good person is, in effect, someone who can see the world from the perspective of another without judging them, without placing his or her own biases onto their vision, and who has the integrity and moral strength to act upon this perspective to help ease worry or stress. Insight without action is insensitivity and cowardice; action without insight is foolishness and naivety. Only a balance of the two can bring about true goodness.

Bravo

:clap

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems to me a "good" person exists only insofar as an individual (or group of individuals) decide to endow someone (or themselves) with that title. Good at what? By whose standards? It's subjective and relative to the person making the judgement.

Straw Dog

Nice description.

Hmm... what do I believe about goodness? I guess I would define goodness as the practices of paying attention, showing compassion, and being grateful. Perhaps all subsequent virtues could be derived from these, either directly or through intersections.

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
In a word, detachment.

In another word, love.

good = love = detachment = selflessness

These words understood correctly are congruent.

godlikemadman

God Among Men
In a word, detachment.

In another word, love.

good = love = detachment = selflessness

These words understood correctly are congruent.

I don't know if detachment is the best terminology, as in it connotates negatively if you know what I mean. It implies a complete break from reality. Detachment in terms of biases would make better sense. I don't think complete detachment from one's own emotions in a situation necessarily is wrong either, in that you need at least some personal context, with which to maintain your own identity. Still, I mostly agree with your other implications.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't really think the term "goodness" is a particularly useful term. Too vague, too subjective.

I think the above post is a good description of the term skillful. A skillful person has those qualities, which I'd personally consider to be desirable or "good" qualities, but skillful is a somewhat more specific and objective appraisal.

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
I don't know if detachment is the best terminology, as in it connotates negatively if you know what I mean. It implies a complete break from reality. Detachment in terms of biases would make better sense. I don't think complete detachment from one's own emotions in a situation necessarily is wrong either, in that you need at least some personal context, with which to maintain your own identity. Still, I mostly agree with your other implications.

When I say detachment, I do not imply a break with reality. Allow me to better explain what I mean when I say detachment.

I can apply this same reasoning to thoughts, beliefs, and many more things, but first I wish to investigate two models of love. The first model of love is attached love. In this model, when I perform "acts of love" I am making myself appear to be selfless, while in actuality, my act was not performed selflessly, because it was given with attached selfish motives. It was not love. It was a mere acting job. It was a trade made to strengthen my lover's feelings towards me. Should my acts not be repaid appropriately, I will feel cheated. If this state continues, my love will prove itself to actually be conditional infatuation, when I discontinue my affections.

Thankfully, there is a second model of love. This is where you unattach from every act and truly give from the place that is most important. When I perform acts of love in this state, they are done selflessly with no thought of personal gain. This is why Jesus said that when we give, be careful to not do it to be seen by others because that makes you a mere actor (or hypocrite as the Christ was known to say). True love is the recognition that all are part of me, and it is only from the detached state that I can see this. From this state, it is truly better to give than to receive. Love does not extend to just friends, but enemies as well. Jesus told us to love our enemies, not to give us an impossible, impractical task, but to tell us what love is.

Last edited:

Nobody

I like the definition of 'good' in the OP, if I tried to define my idea of what 'goodness' is I think it would be pretty similar.
Ultimately I think there can be no absolute definition, it seems like just a concept and its meaning can change drastically over time, depending on circumstances.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
If I am to get deep into the idea of 'good' or 'bad', I have to say that the word is only subjective and that in reality, there is no such thing as 'goodness'.

rusra02

Premium Member

What may be considered good in one culture may be considered bad in another.
Goodness is moral excellence. It is a positive quality that comes from God. God
is the only person who has the right to set standards of what is good. Even Jesus said "Why do you call me good? Nobody is good, except one, God." (Mark 10:18,19)
I believe only Jehovah has the right to determine what is good and what is bad. Adam and Eve rebelliously ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, and in effect, tried to assume that right to themselves. Jesus leaves the setting of standards of good to his Father. Only by imitating the kindness, love, and mercy of God can we hope to manifest goodness. Apart from God, "there exists a way that is upright before a man, but the ways of death are the end of it afterward." (Proverbs 14:12)

beerisit

I don't think anyone has all of those attributes.

IslamBox

set box
Goodness is what makes others happy. Anything or your any act that makes other happy and give them benefit is your goodness and kindness.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

This sounds more like sainthood than simpler goodness.

I like the definition, but I would lower the bar quite a bit.

jasonwill2

By that definition we are all evil... I don't think that is humanely possible to have perfect empathy either. We are selfish creatures by design. If we were not we wouldn't have the stones to survive. Doesn't mean we don't help people, just that it needs to be mutual, even if that is just the emotional gratification one gets by feeling good for helping others.

I don't think anyone has all of those attributes.

I agree.

Goodness: a vague predicate. :p

Best so Far.

This sounds more like sainthood than simpler goodness.

I like the definition, but I would lower the bar quite a bit.

I agree.