• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defining "Religion"

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Is there any generalised definition of what makes a religion?

Here's my thinking, tell me what you think.

Before we can come to a definition that describes all forms that religion in general takes, we need to define the purpose of religion across the board - this is an adaptation of a Frank Herbert quote that's been stuck in my head for years;
'If the goal of science is the understanding of the workings of the universe, then it is the goal of religion to understand mankind's place in that universe.'

I think this makes sense because whichever religion you look at, from animism to Christianity to Buddhism the basic premise is an attempt to understand where you fit into the grand scheme of things; whether its as the most loved creation of God, destined to be reunited with Him in the afterlife as in Christianity or Islam or as a spirit/essence trapped in an endless series of reincarnations striving to be free as in Hinduism and Buddhism - we all want to know "why are we here?" and the "meaning of life".

If we take that as the general goal of all religions, irrespective of their specific mythologies, that leads us into understanding what makes up a religion, and why it is composed of those specific aspects.
In it's simplest form, I see a religion being composed of three interrelated parts. We have the cosmology, which includes theology if its a theistic religion, which attempts to explain the spiritual (and sometimes physical) structure of the universe, and what man's role should be within it.
Next we have the practical aspect, which uses the cosmology as a base upon which to build practices and ritual that aid the religious follower in fulfilling his or her role as defined in the cosmological drama - i.e. to become a bodhisattva, or to worship God, or to live in harmony with the spirits of nature etc.
And finally we have the third part which is the object of devotion - this could be a Buddha or Bodhisattva, a God, the spirit of a mountain or village's valley or even an ideal or elevated concept.

Each part has a role in the greater construct of the religion - the cosmology gives us the answers to our "big questions", the ritual and practices give us a tangible way to acquire the full comprehension of those answers, and the object of devotion gives us (hopefully) the perspective and humility which should stop the search for meaning becoming egocentric.

That's long winded, but if I try and put it into a single sentence definition we arrive at;
A religion is an integrated system of cosmological explanations, ritualised practices and devotional idealism that purports to offer it's followers a complete understanding of their place in the wider universe.

Thoughts? Comments? Improvements? Criticisms?

Bishadi

That's long winded, but if I try and put it into a single sentence definition we arrive at;
A religion is an integrated system of cosmological explanations, ritualised practices and devotional idealism that purports to offer it's followers a complete understanding of their place in the wider universe.
The bible is not the best at cosmological explanations; nor is Buddhism the best at creation; or the indigenous beliefs at agriculture.

Seems each religion has many variations to many of the same questions but all fall short of tying in the empirical descriptions of the sciences.

So religions offer a basis to community and associations. All based on the accepted model of the culture and representations of compassionate rationale of many period; historical.

Still the unknown questions surface, because there is little foundation to the various descriptions that will withstand all questioning;

we all want to know "why are we here?" and

the "meaning of life".

• to exist; ………………………. based on your previous generations fulfilling b
  • to continue; ……………………. Each half contributed a portion of their life (to continue) .otherwise you would not be here.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
But would you say my definition is a fair attempt to define the "generalised religion"?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Good post, Hal. Very well thought out.

I used to say, "religion is about a person's relationship to the world around them," but you've said it better than I.

misanthropic_clown

I think it is a very good definition, but I do think a lot of religious belief actually extends beyond the universe, and so to limit to a "place in the wider universe" is possibly a bit off. My knowledge of diverse religion isn't that strong, but "place within creation" might be a better fit.

However, I can recognise that move may tailor things towards the Abrahamic religions.

religion is the worship of somthing greater then your own to personaly achieve a state you can't achieve without help

Tau

A religion is a belief system.

The beliefs vary, because human cultures vary, and their sciences, histories and perceptions vary, but underlying all religions is a basic code, all religions proscribe a way of life, and here is were you find what it is that religions have most in common, the 'common denominator'.

Islam and Christianity and Druidism and Buddism and Sikhism and almost all other faiths teach you to basically live life holistically and altruistically, with love and consideration for all of creation, to varying degrees.

Of course when we start arging about the DETAILS like 'how did God(s) create eveything?' or 'what/who is God(s) exactly?', it all goes horribly wrong.

My religion 'Grokking The Greater Good' is about working out how to make the 'right choices' for everyone's benefit because ultimately when we work together we are better and thus the individual is empowered too, united we stand divided we fall.

Its the same thing, just yet another flavour.

We should seek to meet each other on this basic level and then argue our way up...with the appliance of science, lets look for God, I mean really look, in every sense, together, sharing our perceptions, not attacking them.

Tau

Ayn Rand may disagree with me but then anyone who thinks that acting out of self interest is paramount should understand that by contributing to the whole one IS acting for one's own long term benefit and moreover that of their offspring and loved ones.

Bishadi

Ayn Rand may disagree with me but then anyone who thinks that acting out of self interest is paramount should understand that by contributing to the whole one IS acting for one's own long term benefit and moreover that of their offspring and loved ones.

the best ever on this whole site!

My opinion!